Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - St Anger

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

St.Anger is muck

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

hexagramer wrote: »
    i for one.........look for the good in st anger.

Care to point it out for me.

Ive looked for the good in anything after Justice and I really really cant find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

i for one on this thread choose to be the smarter type and look for the good in st anger.

i enjoy s.k.o.m, i think the unnamed feeling has a dark erie creepy feel when i hear its tones and i also enjoy the thrash parts envolved.

obviously shouldnt be compared to the likes of battery an justice etc

but for those of you out to bash this album - i take pride in knowing to look for the parts i like rather than be whingy about the parts i dont. kids.
    Sorry kiddo but I've really, really tried to like Metallica's stuff over the past few years. I absolutely LOVED Metallica from Day 1 and was pretty much disgusted that I couldn't take to their new stuff for a long time. Now I'm over it and have accepted that for the most part, apart from the odd gem, they're a middle-of-the-road band that have run out of steam and are living on past glories. They did brilliantly, changed Metal forever and I'll always love their earlier stuff but I'm not going to kid myself that they are still a great band, it's the kids today that do that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

St. Anger is terrible, the music, the lyrics, the production,the mastering, and most anoying of all lars snare sound....i seriously dont know why anyone didnt ever say ehhh lars your snare drum sounds like tin cans.

The unnamed feeling, some kind of monster and sweet amber had potential but in the end not one of them lived up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

gerocks wrote: »
    St.Anger is muck
    Death Magnetic is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

I'd say Death Magnetic is ok, it's certainly not great. The opener is quite good and there's some cool parts in the others, but overall it's no masterpiece by any stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

im a huge metallica fan. to this day.

im not just a "thrash metal supplements my lack of penis!!METALLL!!!" type of guy.

I like load and reload etc but after master of puppets, while the songs are still great imo, they lost that atmosphere. Their only true masterpiece i think was MOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

i for one on this thread choose to be the smarter type and look for the good in st anger.

i enjoy s.k.o.m, i think the unnamed feeling has a dark erie creepy feel when i hear its tones and i also enjoy the thrash parts envolved.

obviously shouldnt be compared to the likes of battery an justice etc

but for those of you out to bash this album - i take pride in knowing to look for the parts i like rather than be whingy about the parts i dont. kids.

the problem with the album is that after trying to scavange out good parts you are left feeling even more angry at this pile of s**te.
    its like being being promised a trip to disneyland as a kid and being brought to a landfill instead. Such a dissapointment of an album. imo anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭coady

I blame Bob Rock ! it all went down hill after meeting him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It's the one Metallica album that is torture to listen to in one sitting. Just can't stand the sound of the drums / tin cans. Having said that, there's a few good songs on it.

Personally, i like all of Metallica's other studio releases.

I can't listen to the whole thing from beginning to end tbh,it's just too hard on the ears!! Some tracks in isolation are pretty decent but its rare that many tracks would make a playlist on my ipod.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

buck65 wrote: »
    Did y'all see Some Kind of Monster? It basically showed how they made and wrote this record. Basically they jammed some half assed riffs - said- that sounds good let's build a song around this , add some off the cuff lyrics, search for a cool song title for about 3 minutes and voila - St. Anger!

Don't have this or many of their recent albums - what I've heard of them makes me glad that I kept my dollars and not got ripped off like all those other mugs who are still trying to justify Metallica to themselves.

Metallica left the building in the early 90s - what we have now is some mutant bloodsucking cashhungry band that have locked up the real 'tallica. Like those aliens from the Simpsons.

Yeah this guy is right ^.

I didn't like the album at all . Very weak and juvenile sounding. Great documentary though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭sweatingbullets

after master of puppets, while the songs are still great, they lost that atmosphere. Their only true masterpiece i think was MOP.

true,MOP was a masterpiece,i think they lost that momentum when cliff burton(r.i.p.) died,they lost the driving force of the band and no-one was ever gonna replace him,although fair play to jason newstead he was good but not cliff burton good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

&-E wrote: »
    The title track really, really had potential..

I have to disagree, the lyrics in this track are beyond appauling, and whatever good we can take from this album as I said in my original post this is not something we can take as good

"I feel my whole world shake, like an earthquake, hard to see clear - is it me, is it fear? I'm madly in Anger with you!"

No, im sorry, thats just terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I have to disagree, the lyrics in this track are beyond appauling, and whatever good we can take from this album as I said in my original post this is not something we can take as good

"I feel my whole world shake, like an earthquake, hard to see clear - is it me, is it fear? I'm madly in Anger with you!"

If Bono came up with them lyrics he'd be lauded as a poet laureate!!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Gotta agree here, all the lyrics are appauling. Fran,tick,tick,tick,tick,tock....*shudder* And lets not forget the lyrics to invisible kid. Anyone who thinks the lyrics on this album are good...well i dont even know what to think

For that you matter what ever happened to that mysterious file on the Audio CD of St Anger. It was a Quicktime trailer for 'Metallica: The Game' that never happened. The file seemed to be only available on early pressings of the Digipak St Anger with the DVD

I checked it again yesterday on my copy of St Anger I bought on release day (it's been a long time since I used it for anything) and still can't understand what happened to that game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

For that you matter what ever happened to that mysterious file on the Audio CD of St Anger. It was a Quicktime trailer for 'Metallica: The Game' that never happened. The file seemed to be only available on early pressings of the Digipak St Anger with the DVD

I checked it again yesterday on my copy of St Anger I bought on release day (it's been a long time since I used it for anything) and still can't understand what happened to that game?
    The game got cancelled. Actually saw the trailer for the first time the other week I never even heard of the game before :pac: it seemed to have a class soundtrack :D

but yeah I actually like St Anger... okay its not great and yes its badly produced... snare sounds etc etc but a good 4 or 5 songs I like :D . Tis a good album I think and still gets a listen every now and again :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

It's a complete abortion, end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would have said an incomplete abortion with the remains of it going on to fester with in the band and make everything they do putrid and toxic, mind you there is the debate that the incomplete abortion was load and then re load was when the rest of the aborted reamins were scraped out and recovered but by then the gangerous toxins had started to take thier toll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

They turned ****e when Cliff Burton fell off the bus

Although I do like some of the guitar riffs on load/reload and like to jam with those albums but they are nothing compared to ligtning/puppets etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Frantic....tic....tic.....tic......smiley_emoticons_sleep.gif

Was it the live version of Dirty Window or Sweet Amber that they added the guitar solo too?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Sweet Amber. Frantic got a live solo too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

feylya wrote: »
    Sweet Amber. Frantic got a live solo too.
    I'm glad something on the album got a solo... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

splinter wrote: »
    I'm glad something on the album got a solo... :(
    To be honest i'd prefer if nothing on the album heard the light of day again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Trail_Blazer

I'm not a huge fan of St. Anger at all. Though I do like a few of the songs on it:

-My World
    -Some Kind of Monster
    -Frantic
    -Invisible Kid
    -Sweet Amber

Actually I think Sweet Amber is the best track on the disc to be honest. It sounds closest to REAL Metallica outta all the songs IMO.

It's pretty much their worst, but I think I may actually like it better than Kill 'Em All. As blasphemous as that might sound to a lotta 'Tallica fans, minus a coupla songs like Whiplash and Seek & Destroy, I thought Kill 'Em All pretty much sucked.

IActually I think Sweet Amber is the best track on the disc to be honest. It sounds closest to REAL Metallica outta all the songs IMO.

They only played it once, and if you listen real carefully on the audio, you can hear something along the lines of James saying "won't be doing that again"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

Ive being into Metallica since day one, the only song that come close to sounding like Metallica from Load to St Anger is 'Until It Sleeps' at least its the only song thats sticks in my head out of all them albums! Death Magnetic had a lot potential but ALL the songs start off good but fade fast rapidly with the exception of 'That Was Just your Life' which is a proper stomping Metallica tune but its to little to late to save a band that hasnt produced anything remotely good as the tunes that made them a success. On a more positive note I never EVER EVA EVA EVA get tired of listening to 'To Live is to Die' from the And Justice for All Album it is a masterpiece of guitar solos, snare drumming and crash cymbals, truly they were in the zone making this song which was dedicated to Cliff, I swear to god it makes up for their lack of anything that they failed to produce since, its an awesome song Start - Finish! Hopefully Metallica will come up with one more gem of an album but they have lost their way sadly

Advertisement