Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed, moving to cork city, best area??

Options
  • 06-07-2009 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi there, moving to Cork for a job in C.I.T. Bishopstown and wondering what area I should look for an apartment/hse in. Plan to drive/get bus/ or walk to work but don't want to waste hrs in traffic in and out. Also would like to have easy access into the city centre, so not too far out in the suburbs, is there such an ideal location?? Have lived in the Wilton area before when I worked in County Hall and that was fine. Anyways let me know what you all think:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Rebel_City

Hey there,

There's a thread further down about a family moving to Cork looking for advice on where to live.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055604633

But seeing as you're going to be working in CIT - I reckon Bishopstown / Wilton is the best. Good facilities and near the city. Or Glasheen would be good as well. Very near town, and only 10mins drive from CIT.

Ballincollig would be very close as well but that bit further from town.....having said that, it's not that far really and I think the buses are good there.

I haven't been living in Cork for a few years, but went to college there and grew up in the city! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Lee72

Thanks for that, will be heading down next week to look at some places I found on daft so don't want to waste time looking in wrong location.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

i know from experience that the area around CIT in the morning traffic can be brutal. Bear in mind that it's light during the summer but when the schools are back...instantly brutal.

The lough area is nice and only a bike ride/ stroll from town and CIT. Thats the great thing about Cork a very walkable city. The lough is mature too so a nice mix of people around.

Best of luck with that anyway. I love Cork and I'm not a native.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 corklanger

il keep it simple.........south side

Appreciate the simplicity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Anywhere in bishopstown or wilton are walking distance and are fine areas , good mix of apartments and houses so plenty of choice.

If I'm travelling to/from Limerick will it be busy getting across the city to Bishopstown/Wilton ? Any short cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Lee72 wrote: »
    If I'm travelling to/from Limerick will it be busy getting across the city to Bishopstown/Wilton ? Any short cuts

If you want to avoid going through the city to get to CIT you could turn off at the Blarney exit into Blarney, head through Cloghroe, then on through Ballincollig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Lee72 wrote: »

As Rebel said, turn off at Blarney and either go through Tower to end up by the Angler's Rest or there is a road at the edge of the Blarney Castle estate which takes you to Kerry Pike and then to the Angler's Rest. Hardly any traffic that way. From the Anglers, you can either go in the Straight Road, Model Farm Road or cut over to the South Link.

As regards where to live, Summerstown/Glasheen is great because you are close to 4 bus routes in Nos 8, 10, 14 and 19 (orbital route). You are next to the Wilton Shopping Centre and CUH, and a 20-25 minute walk to CIT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

I would suggest somewhere withing walking distance , parking is a nightmare there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

bertie1 wrote: »
    I would suggest somewhere withing walking distance , parking is a nightmare there

not a problem if he is staff. he'd get the private parking near the F-block.

actually, what position are you filling OP? if you dont mind?

if youre not familiar with the place there is another boardsie working there at the moment, if you like ill PM you on his name. he could answer/tourguide about the institute best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭gccorcaigh

Douglas

mawk wrote: »
    not a problem if he is staff. he'd get the private parking near the F-block.

actually, what position are you filling OP? if you dont mind?

if youre not familiar with the place there is another boardsie working there at the moment, if you like ill PM you on his name. he could answer/tourguide about the institute best

It's work in Accounts dept, and that'd be great to get the tour! Also i'm most definitely a she

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

corklanger wrote: »
    il keep it simple.........south side

I'm from the North side and even I'll agree with you on that one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

bishopstown,walk /drive to work,good bus service,could walk to town too no pro,close to supemarket,hosp,church funeral home....better stop:rolleyes:

Advertisement