Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prize bonds

Options
  • 06-07-2009 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

does anybody have them? and if so, have you EVER won anything? Ive had a few, about 300e worth, for over 10 yrs, never won anything. I heard on the radio once a story about a woman who died and when the solicitor was tidying up her affairs he contacted the officials in the prize bond company (I think its Fexco) and found out that she had won a prize a long time ago and had never told her...
    Im thinking of getting rid of them as I need the cash and I dont think I will ever win anything, Ive never heard of anybody winning anything with them.
    Has anybody out there ever won anything on the prize bonds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

yea i've won about a grand in total, whats the consumer issue? there's winners in every draw..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

thanks for that. As to why its posted in the consumer section, I just was not sure where to place it, so apologies if it was posted in the wrong section....as to me not winning, that was not really my point TBH, I was trying to find out from the other good members of Boards if anybody has ever won anything from them, as I have never heard of anybody. So Im glad to hear you have won something, thats 1 person in Ireland anyway has won something! well done! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The mother's won 3 or 4 small prizes with them. Bad investment imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

prize bonds are seen as a very safe investment at the moment with the banks scenario i.e. your money in a bank is guaranteed but when you will get it if they go down is unknown. The problem most people have is that they have around 10 prize bonds but don't know why they haven't won anything, you need to have a good few to make it worth your while. Also, they don't contact you if they don't know your details, sometimes people change address and don't tell them.

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

You can check online to see if you're a winner too:

http://www.prizebonds.ie/winning/winning.html

I've won something 5 or 6 times at this stage, I think the biggest amount was €100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Was thinking the same thing the other day; I have had prize bonds for the last 18 years and have never won a penny/cent:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

They're certainly safe, but they're not clever by any stretch of the imagination. Unless you win, which is unlikely, the only thing you're guaranteed is to lose against inflation. There are far better ways to invest money safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

yea i've won about a grand in total, whats the consumer issue? there's winners in every draw..

dahamsta wrote: »
    The mother's won 3 or 4 small prizes with them. Bad investment imho.

Ok, so theres two people who've won with prize bonds although did they notify you or where you checking yourself??
    Spocker wrote: »
    You can check online to see if you're a winner too:

http://www.prizebonds.ie/winning/winning.html

I've won something 5 or 6 times at this stage, I think the biggest amount was €100

Again, where you checking online to see if you won or did they notify you.

Surely there must be thousands of people with these that havent bothered to give forwarding addresses and have outstanding prizes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Won once. Letter and cheque came in the post. Just make sure to advise them of any change of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I won 200 pounds back in the day. I was a poor second year student so it was well appreciated at the time.

I know this isn't a consumer issue per se, but I can't think of a more suitable forum, so I'm happy to leave it be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Hi

Yes, I've won on average 75 euro a year over the past five years with around 4,000 worth of bonds (sometimes cashing them in for emergencies and purchasing again when I have spare dosh). I know I would probably be better off saving with the banks or credit union, but I enjoy the fun of checking online on Fri afternoons to see if I've won anything! I really think you need a block of about 1,000 worth at least to stand a chance of winning a prize over a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

All of my (large) extended family have numerous prize bonds, some of which are 30+ years old - getting them for birthdays and special occasions is/was set in stone. But NOT ONCE in all of those years has any one of us won a single prize :(
    We're just not lucky, I guess .... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Does anyone know what your actual odds are for winning? How many prize bonds are there out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

I have a few hundred Euro in bonds, never won a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I have a few hundred myself and have had them 11 years now, still haven't won anything :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

I got given a Prize Bond yoke a few years ago and haven't thought about it until now. I've moved address a few times since I got it- if I've won anything will it still be valid for me to claim online*?

*Hopeful thinking :)

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

Fletch123 wrote: »
    I got given a Prize Bond yoke a few years ago and haven't thought about it until now. I've moved address a few times since I got it- if I've won anything will it still be valid for me to claim online*?

*Hopeful thinking :)

So long as you still have the bond itself, you will be able to claim (but not online though - post office I'd assume, or Fexco directly)- the funds are held indefinitely for the winner.

Advertisement