Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia E51 unlock Security Keyguard

• 06-07-2009 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi Guys

My Dad as the Nokia E51 and he entered in a code so that when he puts the keyguard on his phone it is locked with a pin number. So when he trys to take the keyguard off to make a call etc he needs to enter the same pin number.

He has forgotten this and the phone network cannot reset this. Does anyone know how to bypass this with a code or anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

what code is it looking for?, he should really try hard to remember I think there will be no choice but send his phone for repair if he can't remember the code...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Isn't the code not linked to the PUK security system on the SIM?

The owner of the SIM should have documentation that will help unlock it. The Network can assist if they are happy to provide that information to the phone's rightful owner.

(the above is just a form of wording, not a dig at the OP)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

No it's a seperate security code, by default it's 12345 unless it's changed which if the OP's dad has any sense he would have done.

Once he has the reciept he can send it for repair and get the phone flashed, he'll lose everything on the phone but it'll work again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LG26

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies, I tried 12345 and 0000 but he said he changed it to something he can't remember, typical....

I have tried to look on the net for unlocking codes but can't come across any for that phone.

An unlocking code is no use to you, that's only to remove the network lock.

What's your dad has changed is the phones master security code, nobody but the person who changed the code(your da) knows what it is, not even nokia, you have no choice but to take the phone for repair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LG26

Hi DrunkMonkey

Thanks for letting me know, I will send his phone for repair after I get him a new memory.

Cheers
    LG

why are you getting him new memory before you send the phone for repair, all information currently stored on the phone will be lost, there's no way of saving it as far as i'm aware..

take out the memory card and sim before you get it repaired...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Would that pin be reset by a firmware update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

why are you getting him new memory before you send the phone for repair, all information currently stored on the phone will be lost, there's no way of saving it as far as i'm aware..

take out the memory card and sim before you get it repaired...
    I think he means get his father a new memory so he wont forget codes again.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Just thought of something last night, I've no idea if it'll work but no harm in trying it.

If your dads phone is turned on, call it and let him answer, then if he hangs up I think that the keyguard will be off and he may be able to get into the menu to at least copy stuff to a memory card or back up the contacts. If that doesn't work when he's on a call (again someone will have to call him) if he the presses the options button there should be an option to access the phone menu, again he'll be able to copy details off.
    As I said no idea if it'll work but in theory I don't see a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If the it is locked, during a call the phone is still locked, no options will appear unfortunately

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

what would happen if you turned off the phone and then put the wrong pin in when restarting when it asks for the puk code would this reset the lock to 12345 or whatever? just wondering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

* The PIN + the security code for the keypad are completely unrelated.
    * You can't bypass the security code on the keypad by trying to get into the menu while on a call.
    * Default codes I would try are 0000, 00000, 1234 and 12345
    * I would also try the PIN number, just in case your father set it to this at one time or another
    * The unlocking code (or NAC) is unrelated to the security keypad code
    * The PUK code is unrelated to the security keypad code

There's also another method to hard reset some smart phones .. usually by holding down c / call while powering on. Not tried it myself though.

Failing that send it away to get the software reset would be my suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

mp22 wrote: »
    what would happen if you turned off the phone and then put the wrong pin in when restarting when it asks for the puk code would this reset the lock to 12345 or whatever? just wondering

After entering the correct PUK, he would be asked to enter a new pin, then confirm it, then the phone would want the 'phone/security code' which would still be the same as what the OP's father has set it.

Advertisement