Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

276 people jailed for not paying their debts in 2008

Options
  • 06-07-2009 11:39am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/276-people-jailed-for-not-paying-debts-last-year-1808096.html

Two hundred and seventy-six people were imprisoned for not paying their debts last year, according to a report published today by the Free Legal Advice Centre.

The centre says the figures underline the need for urgent reform of Ireland's "Dickensian" laws on debt enforcement.

It says the process of debt collection in Ireland almost seems designed to exclude the debtor from having a role and from understanding what is involved.

FLAC's call for reform is being supported by the Irish Banking Federation, which says the current process causes unnecessary distress and wastes resources.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

smccarrick wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/276-people-jailed-for-not-paying-debts-last-year-1808096.html

Two hundred and seventy-six people were imprisoned for not paying their debts last year, according to a report published today by the Free Legal Advice Centre.

The centre says the figures underline the need for urgent reform of Ireland's "Dickensian" laws on debt enforcement.

It says the process of debt collection in Ireland almost seems designed to exclude the debtor from having a role and from understanding what is involved.

FLAC's call for reform is being supported by the Irish Banking Federation, which says the current process causes unnecessary distress and wastes resources.

If they were developers, they'd be calling for them to be jailed.

Ok maybe the laws needs to be reformed, but to remove the threat of jail gives people even less incentive to repay their debts.

It's non-repayment of debts that have got us into this mess, so there is an argument for increasing the incentive to repay (and disincentivising over borrowing)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

How about simply reforming personal bankruptcy law- akin to the UK situation? Our personal bankruptcy law is still modeled on Victorian legislation.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

i believe emergency legistlation re civil debts is being pushed through the dail today. will be interesting to read the ammendments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

D3PO wrote: »
    i believe emergency legistlation re civil debts is being pushed through the dail today. will be interesting to read the ammendments

Good to hear it. I wasn't aware of that. You might update this thread if you get any info. Cheers, Shane

smccarrick wrote: »
    Good to hear it. I wasn't aware of that. You might update this thread if you get any info. Cheers, Shane

will do. The Oireachtas website doesnt seem to show a sitting of the dail today but I heard this on Newstalk.

Will keep an eye on the website they will publish the ammendments there at some stage this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

D3PO wrote: »

As far as I know this emergency leglislation is to close a legal loophole to ensure people can still be sent to jail. No reforms are planned. Maybe some legal eagle can correct me.

ZYX wrote: »
    As far as I know this emergency leglislation is to close a legal loophole to ensure people can still be sent to jail. No reforms are planned. Maybe some legal eagle can correct me.

no the idea of it is to stop people being sent to jail for a civil debt once they prove they dont have the means to repay said debt.

the fact 276 people have been jailed as the OP has said shows they wouldnt need to ammend to be able to send people to jail !!!

Advertisement