Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upcoming California Trip, photo advice needed

• 06-07-2009 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi,
    At the end of the month, I am taking a road trip through California, and also taking in Las Vegas for 5 days.
    Does any body have personal favorites of sights to shoot. My main stop off points are Las Vegas, LA, San Luis Obispo, Monterery, and San Fran (in that order). I've been there before but never with my camera. Any tips out there?

Also I am thinking of getting a circular polarising filter. Would this be a good investment for the trip, will it add to my photos, say the sky's the sea, etc. Or would a ND filter be a better investment? Any recommendations.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I would deffo get an ND and circular polarising filter. I used both a lot when over there. Would you think about going to the national parks, they're amazing!! Do a search through the forum, somebody was going over to the states a while back and we all posted google map links on where to go!

OK, I found it for ya :D

Hope that helps a bit!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Also I am thinking of getting a circular polarising filter. Would this be a good investment for the trip, will it add to my photos, say the sky's the sea, etc. Or would a ND filter be a better investment? Any recommendations.

Both are useful filters, but both are different. It's a bit like asking should I buy an Umbrella or a Scarf? Both can be useful but in different situations & can be used together too.

Technically filters never "add" anything to your photographs, they work by taking something away. The CPL takes away light of certain polarity & this can then be used to reduce reflections & improve the contrast in the sky. The ND actually takes everything away, by a known amount, thus allowing you to increase the exposure time (decreased shutter speed) or reduce depth of field. Sometimes these are graduated (ND Grad) which can be very useful for landscapes, especially on film. If you shoot Digital & RAW you can often reproduce this effect in Post Production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Apart from the locations and the places, you should heed this tale of woe and backup, backup, backup.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

In terms of the sights in Vegas, the water show in the pond in front of
    the Bellagio after dark is spectacular; the inside is quite nice as well.
    The Stratosphere is also worth a look after dark.

There are helicopter tours out around the Grand Canyon depending on
    your budget.If your carrying your gear around while your out on the town
    you should be discrete. Some of the clubs and bar have metal detectors
    on the door and they may ask to have a look at your gear.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In vegas go up the efiel tower, you'll get great shots of the strip from the top floor of it...atleast I did :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I'd assume you'll be travelling up the PCH to San Fran so many scenic spots to stop off. Worth your while crossing the San Mateo bridge and travelling up to Napa before returning across the Golden Gate Bridge to San Fran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I live in Las Vegas. Give me a shout. mark@bhalash.com or 702 354 3227 while on the ground in the states if you'd like to do more than wander the Strip. I could probably give you a walking tour of the seedier parts of town.

Best tips I can give is that in most of southern California (San Bernardino county), the landscape is very flat and very brown. I mean sure, we have our pretty places - Red Rock, Hoover Dam and Mount Charleston are within easy reach of Las Vegas - but the rule is flat, dusty and boring. The golden hours are your friend.

A circular polarizer is definitely your friend while in the desert.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dmohalloran

Thanks for the feedback,

I shoot digital, Nikon d40, and have Lightroom 2 and elements 6, so post processing is an option, still trying to perfect my skills.
    Yeah, I am traveling up the PCH, I've done the trip before and loved it. thanks for the idea of heading further north up to NAPA, i like that, I'm pretty free as regards time and itinerary.
    Seedy Vegas sounds like fun.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭rstans

Drove PCH from LA to San Francisco ten years ago. Took two days to do it because we weren't in any hurry. Stopped overnight in San Simeone.
    Nearly broke my wifes heart by stopping every ten minutes for a "Kodak Moment".
    If you have time, wander a bit inland, explore the non touristy places, small towns, ghost towns etc. As I said to my (now ex) wife "What's the point in travelling all that distance and coming home with the same pics as we saw in the brochure?"
    For example, we saw a sign advertising strawberries for sale. Bought some but instead of going straight back to the highway drove past the farm a few miles and now have a cool pic of a deserted farmhouse complete with falling apart windmill in the background.
    Don't be afraid to step off the beaten track and you'll come back with spectacular shots.

Advertisement