Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT broadband down in Cork

Options
  • 06-07-2009 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

I am living in Rochestown, Cork. My BT broadband has been down since last Friday. According to their tech support line it is affecting 021 and 026 areas. Anyone else have this problem or heard when it's going to be back ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

Hiya

I'm living in Rochestown and have the very same issue. I called their tech support on Saturday and was told it was an individual problem on my line and that if it was a problem on the BT side it would be fixed Monday but otherwise it could be next Friday before it's sorted!!

I'm relieved to hear its not just a problem with ours as it may be sorted sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

Here's hoping! As a matter of interest what speed are you getting ? I signed up for 24MB and am getting ~2.8MB!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

I signed up for the basic package and when I check the modem I'm getting 7mb and its usually pretty close to that anyway

Got it fixed last night. They had to reset the port I was connected on and also re-create my profile. Still only getting 3.5Mb though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

radar0976 wrote: »
    Got it fixed last night. They had to reset the port I was connected on and also re-create my profile. Still only getting 3.5Mb though!
    It's probably all you can get on your line. Lets see your line statistics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Guys,

The thread about "Eircom DSL - DNS Lookups Slow" is your problem:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055608998&page=10

In that thread I did a HOW TO post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61023988&postcount=144

Ye need to temporarily OR permanently change your DNS addresses in your router. Read that post?

Aidan

aidanodr wrote: »
    Guys,

Ye need to temporarily OR permanently change your DNS addresses in your router. Read that post?

Aidan
    No it's not the same problem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Guys,

Aidan
    How would Eircom DNS servers affect BT customers? :rolleyes:

Sorry Guys,

My fault - not reading correctly

Ill now crawl back into my shell :D

Aidan

HOWEVER,

Just a thought - its rather coincidental. As far as I know - might be wrong again - but is BT piggy backing on the eircom systems and copper cable? Trouble with Eircom = trouble with BT?

Aidan

• Advertisement

HOWEVER,

Just a thought - its rather coincidental. As far as I know - might be wrong again - but is BT piggy backing on the eircom systems and copper cable? Trouble with Eircom = trouble with BT?

Aidan
    Same exchanges, different equipment. Eircom resell the Broadband... it doesn't loop through their network to all other resellers. In that case, if Eircom went down - every DSL provider in Ireland would too.

I got this reply from BT broadband today so must give it a go this evening and check my stats.

Direct your browser to ftp://ftp.esat.net and save the 500MiB file to your harddrive. When the transfer rate stabilises take note. There is no need to download the entire file. Please reply with this rate.

What is the name and model of the router you are using?

If you are using a Voyager router:
    Open your Internet browser
    In the address bar type in 192.168.1.1
    This will take you into your routers configuration page
    On the bottom left hand corner of the screen you will see the version number. Please reply with this number.
    Click on Advanced on the left hand side and then click on Advanced again when it appears on the main part of the screen.
    Click on System
    Click on Remote Access
    When asked for login details, type admin for the username and admin for the password
    Tick the boxes Telnet and Ping and then click apply
    Click on Status
    Click on Broadband line
    Please reply with the Line Rate, Noise Margin and Line Attenuation figures

These are the stats from my line. Can anyone make any sense of these ? As you can see I'm getting 3.9 meg download. From these figures can anyone tell me why I am not getting 24 meg ? Thanks in advance.

Line Mode ADSL2 Line State Show Time
    Line Power State L0 Line Up Time 00:21:43:18
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 3913 Kbps 987 Kbps
    Noise Margin 4.6 dB 5.7 dB
    Line Attenuation 56.5 dB 33.1 dB
    Output Power 12.9 dBm 0.0 dBm

Because you can't get 24MB - by the looks of those stats, I'd say you could get a maximum of 3 to 4MB. Best ask BT to reduce your profile, your not going to get anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

I'm with BT in an O5 area, there have been problems for about a week and a half now. Although I'm online the connections is slow and a hell of a lot of pages do not load properly. The BT helpdesk have been very nice and tried to be helpful, I now a lot more about fixing (or trying to) my connection than I did before:).
    Anyway when I run the diagnostics check from the configuration, troubleshooting page I consistently get the following fault

Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping: FAIL

What does this mean, can I fix it and I'm not a particularly techy person so simple language please:o?

I also occaisionally get a

Ping default gateway: FAIL

and even more confusion it diagnostics is giving

Test your Ethernet Connection: DOWN

How can my ethernet connection be down but I'm still able to long on even if the connection is c**p?

Very confused.

Advertisement