Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Several people closing bank accounts at once

Options
  • 06-07-2009 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hello all,

I have a problem with my bank, in fact I have several. Things like:

• Taking a month to replace my Laser card,
    • Going in to change one phone number but having them make all my phone numbers on their file the same (home. work, mobile), thus causing my account to get frozen when the on-line banking wouldn't accept the phone number I was entering.
    • Taking THREE months to register a change of address, despite daily reminders.
    • Paying a standing order twice.
    • Transactions not showing up on my statements until a month after they happened.
    As luck would have it I know five other people who are with the same bank and have had similar problems.

We are very tempted to all go in to a branch one day and close our accounts at the same time. The question is, would the bank care? We all have no intention of staying with this bank, but we would like to make them squirm. We figure a bank doesn't care when one person closes an account, but six might make the branch manager come running out offering his apologies.

Also, our accounts are based at different branches so the chances are that this would not work, unless we went to their HQ.

Would this be a pointless exercise, or would the bank actually care?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

They don't care, particularly at the moment. I've closed a half dozen personal accounts in Bank of Ireland Douglas in Cork because of horrendous, serial incompetence, including many of the issues outlined above, and they never once asked why.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

grundie wrote: »
    Hello all,

I have a problem with my bank, in fact I have several. Things like:

• Taking a month to replace my Laser card,
    • Going in to change one phone number but having them make all my phone numbers on their file the same (home. work, mobile), thus causing my account to get frozen when the on-line banking wouldn't accept the phone number I was entering.
    • Taking THREE months to register a change of address, despite daily reminders.
    • Paying a standing order twice.
    • Transactions not showing up on my statements until a month after they happened.
    As luck would have it I know five other people who are with the same bank and have had similar problems.

We are very tempted to all go in to a branch one day and close our accounts at the same time. The question is, would the bank care? We all have no intention of staying with this bank, but we would like to make them squirm. We figure a bank doesn't care when one person closes an account, but six might make the branch manager come running out offering his apologies.

Also, our accounts are based at different branches so the chances are that this would not work, unless we went to their HQ.

unless your big business customer's pumping a lot of money in no, they simply won;t give a hoot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

dahamsta wrote: »
    They don't care, particularly at the moment. I've closed a half dozen personal accounts in Bank of Ireland Douglas in Cork because of horrendous, serial incompetence, including many of the issues outlined above, and they never once asked why.

The bolded part isn't true. My sister and my mum both work for banks and they are under huge pressure not to let any bank accounts be closed.

Of course, trying to get someone to keep their account open and providing a good service are two different things... :rolleyes:

They don't work in Bank of Ireland anyway. The wife closed accounts in South Mall and like Douglas they made zero effort to retain her.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

dahamsta wrote: »
    They don't work in Bank of Ireland anyway. The wife closed accounts in South Mall and like Douglas they made zero effort to retain her.

most of the people on the front desk are fairly low earners and have no inclination to try and stop you closing it's just adding to there work load

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Have you a business account with a high balance and that generates lots of fees?
    Nope?, then the bank aren't realy pushed about keeping you.

And even if they are, the person on the front desk isn't on commission to keep you, they'll close your account if you ask them. Makes no difference at all to front line staff who aren't exactly on great money.

That was kind of the point the OP was trying to make: Bank CS has gone to pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

mikemac wrote: »
    Have you a business account with a high balance and that generates lots of fees?
    Nope?, then the bank aren't realy pushed about keeping you.

And even if they are, the person on the front desk isn't on commission to keep you, they'll close your account if you ask them. Makes no difference at all to front line staff who aren't exactly on great money.

You do know the bank uses your money to to make more money right :) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Unless you've a lot of cash in your account they won't care OP. I changed bank a couple of years ago. The grass isn't that much greener on the other side if I'm honest but at least the shower I'm with now don't charge me fees for getting things arseways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

If you really wanted to make an impact you could go to your local paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

grundie wrote: »

Problem is that as you are all in different branches you need to go to the branch where the account is to close it.

If you were all in the same branch then yeah, all come in together and go up to the customer service desk together and make a big fuss (wave papers etc, talk loudly about poor customer service) and they might(might i add!) care....at least enough to keep you quiet so that other customers dont hear your complaints!

but they wont give a damn other than that if you close you accounts...u are just a number to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

I went in one day to close a joint account in AIB.

Guy behind the counter said I would need both signatures to close the account.

So I said give me the form.

He said there is no form to close a joint account.

I said where do you want both signatures.

He said that both signatures would have to be on the withdrawal slip.

I said i don’t need both signatures to withdraw money.

He said that’s true.

I said so where on the withdrawal slip does it say close the account.

He said it doesn’t.

So I said where the form to close an account.

He said there is none.

I filled out a withdrawal slip to withdraw all the money. Then I got a sheet a paper and wrote that under the data protection act I wanted see all my personal information they held. Handed it to him.

He asked would I fill out the form.

I said what form

He said their data protection request form. (They have their own form they want the customer to fill out)

I said no. The letter is sufficient and I am under no obligation to fill anything else out. (The letter had all my details on it).

Me being a nice fellow, I offered him a choice, close the account and I would take back the letter.

He closed the account.

Me being a bit peeved off with him attitude, told him I wanted to proceed with the request under the data protection act. I paid the fee and walk away.

Advertisement