Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Ethernet on XP?

• 06-07-2009 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Yeah, I installed XP, because I just got sick of Vista, and now I want to install broadband on ethernet. I used wireless before, but I don't want the hassle of connectivity problems again.

Anyway, long story short, it won't install.

I have a Netopia 2247NWG broadband box, Windows XP, 300GBs free space, nVidia 8600GT and about 2GBs RAM.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

earwax_man wrote: »
    Yeah, I installed XP, because I just got sick of Vista, and now I want to install broadband on ethernet. I used wireless before, but I don't want the hassle of connectivity problems again.

Anyway, long story short, it won't install.

I have a Netopia 2247NWG broadband box, Windows XP, 300GBs free space, nVidia 8600GT and about 2GBs RAM.

The long story is actualy better for trying to get to the root of the problem , what exactly wouldn't install? Some sort of Eircom setup disk perhaps (I haven't used eircom for BB before). Any error messages?

The more info the better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

marco_polo wrote: »
    The long story is actualy better for trying to get to the root of the problem , what exactly wouldn't install? Some sort of Eircom setup disk perhaps (I haven't used eircom for BB before). Any error messages?

The more info the better. :)

I used the Eircom setup disk for Ethernet, but it takes ages and just says "detecting your network settings". But after a while it just says it fails. This is when Ethernet is plugged in.

When the Ethernet is plugged out, it finishes in a few seconds; but there is no LAN connection or anything left after it.

What should I do? I also have XP Home Edition SP1.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Some things to check first:

Plugin the ethernet cable to the router.

1) Open Start Menu -> Control Panel... -> Network and Internet Connections... -> Network Connections... -> Dbl-click on Local Area Connections icon (Ethernet one if more than one). Does it say it is connected?

2) Open a command window and type ipconfig /all, and can you see if an IP address is getting assigned to the xp machine?

3) Also check if you can you access the admin page of the router
    http://192.168.1.254 (according to the manufacturer page).

Some things to check first:

Plugin the ethernet cable to the router.

1) Open Start Menu -> Control Panel... -> Network and Internet Connections... -> Network Connections... -> Dbl-click on Local Area Connections icon (Ethernet one if more than one). Does it say it is connected?

2) Open a command window and type ipconfig /all, and can you see if an IP address is getting assigned to the xp machine?

3) Also check if you can you access the admin page of the router
    http://192.168.1.254 (according to the manufacturer page).

I don't even have a LAN connection. It just doesn't make one. Is it XPSP1?

I don't even have a LAN connection. It just doesn't make one. Is it XPSP1?

Could be that the ethernet driver is not configured correctly, shouldn't matter that it is only SP1.

Go to Start Menu -> Settings -> Control Panel
    Double click System.
    Click on the Hardware Tab and then the device Manager Button.

Under Network adapters you should see an ethernet adapter (If there is a yellow warning symbol then this driver is not working correctly). Double click on this. Does it say the device is working properly in the status box?

• Advertisement

Could be that the ethernet driver is not configured correctly, shouldn't matter that it is only SP1.

Go to Start Menu -> Settings -> Control Panel
    Double click System.
    Click on the Hardware Tab and then the device Manager Button.

Under Network adapters you should see an ethernet adapter (If there is a yellow warning symbol then this driver is not working correctly). Double click on this. Does it say the device is working properly in the status box?

I checked it, and it isn't there. Althought there are a lot of unknown devices and yellow warning symbols.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

looks like there is no drivers for those devices on your xp disc get the name of the ethernet device manufactuer and see if ms have a xp driver for it. cpu-z will tell you the make and model of you mother board

I presume that the Ethernet port is on the motherboard? (If it is the port would be right beside the keyboard/ mouse / USB connections at the back ) If so you still have the driver CD for the Motherboard that should have come with the PC?

If not you will have to figure out what make the motherboard is and download the correct drivers for it (From another PC of course :)).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You'll need to get all drivers with a yellow exclamation mark beside them, if you don't certain functionality of your computer will be limited or non existant, try DriverMAX, free tool which actually works quite well, Allot of Vista machines don't support XP so all drivers are Vista only, I'm sure you'll be able to find a network adaptor driver though

Nick

I took the easy way out and changed back to vista. My internet speed has risen by 80kB/s thanks to my ethernet :D

Thanks all. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I took the easy way out and changed back to vista. My internet speed has risen by 80kB/s thanks to my ethernet :D

Thanks all. :)

It aint that bad m8 :) Good luck

Nick

Advertisement