Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outstay working Visa in Ireland?

Options
  • 06-07-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

just wondering if any of you have any insight on this. My friend has been here on a working visa from Oz for nearly a year now, but she can't quite afford her ticket home just yet, what would happen if she overstayed for a month or 2? do any of ye know anyone who has stayed here longer than they should have and are there any problems getting back in to ireland then in the future if you do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

rylaine wrote: »
    just wondering if any of you have any insight on this. My friend has been here on a working visa from Oz for nearly a year now, but she can't quite afford her ticket home just yet, what would happen if she overstayed for a month or 2? do any of ye know anyone who has stayed here longer than they should have and are there any problems getting back in to ireland then in the future if you do?
    Tell her to go to the dept of immigration and explain her case best not to risk an overstay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Is she from Australia New Zealand? If so the ticket home should only be about €400 through Air Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 maybeso

I was just about to post the same thread here. My friends visa runs out in August but wants to stay until October. Wondering what the consequences will be if he does this in terms of getting back into Ireland in the future. Will keep an eye on replies too, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The visa system will see that the person with the expired visa exited the country well after the expiry date. No more visas for him/her as it's an abuse of the visa regulations, same as in Australia/NZ.

It's only €400 to get back to Oz anyway, why do they have a problem with paying that? The deposit on a room is about the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

it's pretty common for people to get a short haul flight from australia before their working holiday visa expires & then fly back into the country under a normal holiday visa- I think that covers you for about an extra 3 months.

there is a chance she would be questioned by immigration though, if she booked a return flight from australia- wheather she was just doing this to extend her stay.

just overstaying her visa is a definite no-no, I think she would be refused entry to oz for 3 years for doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SMCG

If you are in Ireland on working visa I think you just have to visibly leave and return again - ie stamp the passport. Go on a weekend break to Amsterdam or something and when you return you'll get the holiday visa but you can't legally work after that....... It's a bit of a funny situation as there are no customs posts to the North yet if you go up there you are entering Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

SMCG wrote: »
    If you are in Ireland on working visa I think you just have to visibly leave and return again - ie stamp the passport. Go on a weekend break to Amsterdam or something and when you return you'll get the holiday visa but you can't legally work after that....... It's a bit of a funny situation as there are no customs posts to the North yet if you go up there you are entering Britain.

This is true you could fly into Belfast int, and then get a 2 hour train to Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Also worth checking out getting the bus. It can work out cheaper to buy your bus/rail ticket online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

If I remember correctly the north doesn't count as leaving the country for the purposes of renewing a visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 rylaine

ok so... if she flew to say amsterdam, then back to belfast and bused it to galway? but would she not be on a holiday visa then in belfast? would she have to fly back to oz from there then?

what about flying to amsterdam and back to ireland, is it possible to get a holiday visa for here then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

rylaine everyone can give you advise here but really the only ones who can answer your questions are the experts.

Get your friend to Contact

Australian Embassy 7th Floor, Fitzwilton House, Wilton Terrace, Dublin 2 - Telephone: (353 - 1) 664 5300 - Fax: (353 1) 678 5185 open 8.30am - 4.30pm Monday to Friday,

They'll only be to glad to advise her as to what her options are.

Any thing else she does really is only guess work .

Advertisement