Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick One

• 06-07-2009 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi, quick one for the expert's here, my parent's are importing a BMW 5 with low mileage, it's 12 months old, before we commit to the sale i rang revenue and they claim it's doesn't matter how old the car is, if it doesn't have 6000 kms it's classed as a new car? This cant be right? Has anyone got any info or link's that could help me out? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Revenue are right.

Over 6 months old and over 6000 kms before it isn't classed as new.
    That means that you have to pay VAT in IRL as well.

You can claim the UK VAT back (or not pay it in the first place if your seller helps you with that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Hi, quick one for the expert's here, my parent's are importing a BMW 5 with low mileage, it's 12 months old, before we commit to the sale i rang revenue and they claim it's doesn't matter how old the car is, if it doesn't have 6000 kms it's classed as a new car? This cant be right? Has anyone got any info or link's that could help me out? Thanks

As peasant said, revenue is right, needs more than 600k....
    just on another side note.... what sale are your referring too??
    as this can have an effect on the VRT as well......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

robtri wrote: »
    As peasant said, revenue is right, needs more than 600k....
    just on another side note.... what sale are your referring too??
    as this can have an effect on the VRT as well......
    cheers lad's, will have to get the uncle to put up a few miles on it so. Was referring to sale of car. Would CO2 emission's tax apply to an 07 car i.e. Road tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

cheers lad's, will have to get the uncle to put up a few miles on it so. Was referring to sale of car. Would CO2 emission's tax apply to an 07 car i.e. Road tax?

Has to be a '08 for the CO2 emission's tax to apply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

That is freakishly low mileage for a 07 car. What is it and how did this come about?

• Advertisement

it's an 08 with the low mileage, was going to leave it for an 07 if the tax applied, have to weigh up the option's again and maybe search again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

How far off 6000km is it? Do they even check the mileage? AFAIK with BMW they contact the distributor with the VIN to find out the exact spec so as such they would not be looking at the car to find out what toys are on it. You could get a price from them over the phone and post the relevant paperwork and cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

just to be aware, your parents need to own the car for a minimum of 6 months beofre importing it( be in there name at a residency outside the republic), if they own it for less than 6 months they have to pay full VRT no matter what.

Also when they do import it, they are not allowed sell it for 12 months....
    if they do, VRT then becomes payable...

alias no.9 wrote: »
    How far off 6000km is it? Do they even check the mileage? AFAIK with BMW they contact the distributor with the VIN to find out the exact spec so as such they would not be looking at the car to find out what toys are on it. You could get a price from them over the phone and post the relevant paperwork and cheque.
    I thought you had to bring the car to the revenue office for an inspector to look it over, it hasn't even 1000 kms on it, so it's like new, well to my parents.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

robtri wrote: »
    just to be aware, your parents need to own the car for a minimum of 6 months beofre importing it( be in there name at a residency outside the republic), if they own it for less than 6 months they have to pay full VRT no matter what.

Also when they do import it, they are not allowed sell it for 12 months....
    if they do, VRT then becomes payable...

seems to me that the OP's parents are buying the car from the UK so this rule wouldnt apply to them.
    I thought you had to bring the car to the revenue office for an inspector to look it over, it hasn't even 1000 kms on it, so it's like new, well to my parents.

you normally do for an inspection, but with a newish car like the BMW they can check everything from the VIN number and confirm a quote by phone or email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I think they only inspect it to look for extras, but they check with the distributor for those details whereever they can. What if you didn't have the insurance sorted out yet, your insurer won't cover a foreign registered car and you need to comply with their 1 working day rule? How can you bring it to them.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I think they only inspect it to look for extras, but they check with the distributor for those details whereever they can. What if you didn't have the insurance sorted out yet, your insurer won't cover a foreign registered car and you need to comply with their 1 working day rule? How can you bring it to them.

most insurance companies will alloy a temp transfer onto a foreign registered car for a few days or a month in some companies. this is how people are able to drive the cars home after buying them in the UK.

kceire wrote: »
    most insurance companies will alloy a temp transfer onto a foreign registered car for a few days or a month in some companies. this is how people are able to drive the cars home after buying them in the UK.
    How would you be fixed with an open drive policy? Would they get around that if the car is registered in your own name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

Most insurance companies will insure on a foreign reg and send out the appropriate cert.

(I saw a GB 08 plate BMW at the weekend with a British plate and an Irish insurance disc on the screen)

How would you be fixed with an open drive policy? Would they get around that if the car is registered in your own name?

we cant magically read your insurance cert mate :D
    you need to check it yourself very carefully and if its not clear as day then you need to ring them and tell them what the story is and if you would be covered or not, its the ONLY way to confirm that your insured.

Advertisement