Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motors: Which is best?

• 06-07-2009 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

I have a 1m Funke dish (alu), I had a Technomate h2h motor, which was borrowed on me and is in use in another location, so I'm buying a new motor.
    Is there any benefit in the metal gear's or all metal motor's such as the darkmotor units, or is a technomate one just as good. Both are roughly the same price online.

Tks,
    C

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I currently have the Darkmotor "Metal Gear" which is now in action over a year on my Triax 1.1m. However, it is quite noisy, dunno if all these DiSEqC motors are noisy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Thanks Byte, my TM motor was very quiet, but noise isn't an issue as my dish is on the shed and about 30 to 40 meters from nearest bed room. I'm not too concerned about the horses in the field next to the shed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Motek SG2100 seem fine.

But for bigger dishes a 36V system (optionally with a Diseqc GotoX driver box from Motek if the motor has no Diseqc) separately powered is better. Faster too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

+1 on the Moteck SG2100. I used one with my 1.1m steel dish for some time and it was reasonably quiet and fast. Recently (4 months ago) I upgraded the dish brackets to T & K (as I was having some issues with alignment after storms) and I "upgraded" the motor to a genuine STAB model suitable for 1.2m dish. This model has metal gears and I find it's quite whiny when moving East - West but somewhat quieter in the other direction. It's very precise in terms of landing right on the spot for "difficult" satellites like BADR4, but it's soooo slow in comparison with the Moteck. To be honest I don't think the heavier weight of the 1.1m dish caused any problems for the Moteck as I examined the internals carefully when I stripped it and re-greased the gears. There was no damage to the teeth and no slack in the mechanism after 18 months of use with the bigger dish and about a year with a 90cm dish before that. The biggest issue is the torque on the whole motor and pole mount caused by wind forces on the bigger dishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Thanks Tony
    appreciate the comparison, food for thought

• Advertisement
Advertisement