Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking at Malahide DART station

Options
  • 06-07-2009 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know of any Free Parking areas around Malahide DART station for commuters?

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Hi,

Does anyone know of any Free Parking areas around Malahide DART station for commuters?

Many thanks
    No, its all pay & display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

you could park in the castle grounds just over the bridge in front of the gaa pitches. its free but closes around 5 i think

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The Castle carpark closes at 9pm during the summer months - it changes again in August I think and in the winter it's usually 6pm. If you ring the Castle, they'll tell you the relevant times. More important would be the time they open in the morning, which, afaik, is 9am.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

ToTheSea: wrote: »
    you could park in the castle grounds just over the bridge in front of the gaa pitches. its free but closes around 5 i think
    I heard the castle carpark was pay & display too now?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It wasn't last week, when I was last there.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Hi,

Many thanks

Yes, the coast road car park opposite Oscar Taylors/Island Hotel is free all year round. Its just over 500 metres from the Station. Alternatively, you could get the bus but I suppose that depends on where you live.
    Kiera wrote: »
    I heard the castle carpark was pay & display too now?

Nope, its free although the opening hours are designed to avoid commuter parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Personally, I think it's a bit off to charge for car parking at train stations. Firstly, the government are supposedly encouraging us to leave our cars at home and take public transport, but if it is necessary to drive to the station, say anything over a 10 min walk, it is actually discouraging this IMHO.

Personally, I think it's a bit off to charge for car parking at train stations. Firstly, the government are supposedly encouraging us to leave our cars at home and take public transport, but if it is necessary to drive to the station, say anything over a 10 min walk, it is actually discouraging this IMHO.

And you'd be right....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Hope people dont start using the castle grounds for parking. That would be awful. Its for families and people to park during the day while they take some exercise.

The problem in Rush and Lusk is the location of the station. Its a 45 minute walk from my house and on a wet morning you would be destroyed with the water spray from traffic. The bus service used to just miss the train:mad: dont know how it is now. Can never figure out why Dublin Bus and Irish rail dont ensure better a better service for passengers. Its also worth remembering Irish rail get less subsidies than most other national rail companies. so they are using this money to assist with various upgradeing plans the have. I dont use the station that much but really enjoy taking the kids in to city on the train.

Spoke to a few people around Rush and they would use a bus if there was a regular dedicated one for the trains between 7a.m. and 9a.m. and 5 6.30 in the evening.

Imagine the amount of people and cars one of the bendy bus's would take off the roads every morning.

LeoB wrote: »
    Can never figure out why Dublin Bus and Irish rail dont ensure better a better service for passengers.

Because, and I love this "Dublin Bus are not in the business of providing customers to other forms of public transport" Depot Manager, Dublin Bus from an area committee meeting in Baldoyle in 2005.
    Imagine the amount of people and cars one of the bendy bus's would take off the roads every morning.

Of course, but our Department of Transport prefare to spend money building extra lane after extra lane instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

Be careful that your car doesnt get locked in the castle car park opposite the Dart station. It happened to me. It closed at 6, that was the middle of March a few years ago. It opens at 10 AFAIK. And when the sign says its closing at a particular time, it closes. Also the carpark opposite Oscar Taylors is a good walk from the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Because, and I love this "Dublin Bus are not in the business of providing customers to other forms of public transport" Depot Manager, Dublin Bus from an area committee meeting in Baldoyle in 2005..

WOW! Are you serious? Did anyone tell him people getting off trains often need a bus:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Because, and I love this "Dublin Bus are not in the business of providing customers to other forms of public transport" Depot Manager, Dublin Bus from an area committee meeting in Baldoyle in 2005.
    :confused: Aren't Dublin Bus and Iarnrod Eireann part of CIE and aren't they there to provide a service hence being publicly funded?

I seriously wonder sometimes.

I used to live in Lusk and 9 times out of 10 walked to the station when working and studying in town but I lived on the side of Lusk near the train station so wasn't too bad (once they put the foot path in anyway).

WOW! Are you serious? Did anyone tell him people getting off trains often need a bus:D

Yep, we were discussing the 102 feeder service. He was specifically referring to the bus arrival times being closer to train departure times. Of course, the statement was retracted later by more senior people but the mentality is there I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Yep, we were discussing the 102 feeder service. He was specifically referring to the bus arrival times being closer to train departure times. Of course, the statement was retracted later by more senior people but the mentality is there I believe.

ah don't get me started on the 102 man, the amount of times I've pulled into Sutton on a dart to watch the 102 scramble off, rather than wait for the couple of passengers running for it is crazy!

Advertisement