Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spending money on books`

Options
  • 06-07-2009 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

I get quite a few books online and second hand but even at this I tend to spend 50 euro a month on books - roughly twice as much as I actually read. Anyone else have this problem? I tend to go for entire series - such as picking up the entirety of the 21 'Master and Commander' novels by Patrick O'Brian, yet have only read the first book in that series... Am I certifiably insane? Do I have a shopping addiction just as bad as anyone who throws money away on clothes??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

There are people who buy too many books - I know of one man whose rooms are filled to the ceiling with books, often with multiple copies of the same book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭TedB

There are people who buy too many books - I know of one man whose rooms are filled to the ceiling with books, often with multiple copies of the same book.

Thats pretty bad - as far as I know I only have one copy per book...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭speedy2007

i have lots of books i havent gotten around to reading, yet i still love going into a bookshop or browsing amazon to find new books to buy. Theres something about buying a new book...i usually manage to stop myself tho, cos it could be an expensive hobby.

Ive joined bookmooch which i read about on here, it combines the joy of getting a new book to read with getting post that isnt a bill :D

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

In January, I had about 30 books in my house in Cork. Now, I have over 80. About 15-25 can be accounted for as review copies, and book swaps on a forum I'm a member of.

The others, however, came out of my back pocket. I've read 33 books so far this year, and I'm still buying more than I can read.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I find it far too easy to buy books than to find the time to read them. I've eventually have a rough rule of thumb that over a given period I need to have read about 2/3 of books bought during the previous quarter. So far 40 books this year (you gotta love trashy scfi novels :) )

OP - def. recommend reading the rest of O'Brian's works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 boocat

I used to buy approx 1-2 new books every week, the extent of it really came to light when I moved house last year and filled crate after crate with books, now half of them are still sitting up in my attic waiting for extra book shelves before I unpack them!
    I can't bring myself to throw them out or give them away but have started to go to the library and now rarely buy new books, with the exception of anytime I'm in the airport where I'm always tempted by ''an airport exclusive''!
    Library FTW, endless choice, no cost (so long as they are brought back on time!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Yeah, buying books is extremely addictive. The only I can not buy books it actually put all my money in the credit union. If its in my Visa I just cannot leave online book shops alone.

Its nice have a bookshelf of books youve got racked up, as opposed to using the Library I think. Makes you look smart ;)

Maybe we should all share BookMooch profiles to help each other out. Although, saying that, Ive only books on mine that my neighbors are giving away. I usually dont have anything really good there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ocianain

TedB wrote: »
    I get quite a few books online and second hand but even at this I tend to spend 50 euro a month on books - roughly twice as much as I actually read. Anyone else have this problem? I tend to go for entire series - such as picking up the entirety of the 21 'Master and Commander' novels by Patrick O'Brian, yet have only read the first book in that series... Am I certifiably insane? Do I have a shopping addiction just as bad as anyone who throws money away on clothes??

No you're not insane, I pretty much do the same thing, every time I pass on a book figuring, "I'll get it later" it's gone. Don't start reading Dudley Pope's books (Ramage) if you don't want to go on another binge, avoid Cornwell as well!:)

Advertisement