Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie World XI - Winger/ Attcking Mid/ Playmaker

• 06-07-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭

Xavi and Essien just became the latest members of the team, so our team looks like this...

Casillas
    Maicon---Ferdinand----Vidic---Evra

Xavi
    Essien

?????
    ?????
    ??????

?????

Iniesta will be included in this poll due to popular demand. I'm not going to include others from the Centre-mid poll such as Lampard and Fabregas because I don't feel they ammassed enough votes to be considered a challenge for this position. Also I would say its reasonable to argue that Iniesta didn't really belong in the CM category whereas the others all did.

I debated breaking this category up, but I feel it makes sense like this. Pretty much all the players in this poll are versatile enough to fit into any of the 3 positions here. And considering the 2 fairly nailed on players could definitely switch between all 3 I see no problems arising in team balance/formation.

So its multiple voting again. Vote for the 3 players you would like to see in the team. The 3 highest at the end will make it in. Voting closes in 3 days.

Attacking Midfielders/Wingers/Off the Front Man (Choose 3) 463 votes

Aguero
    0% 0 votes
    Ribery
    1% 8 votes
    Arshavin
    2% 11 votes
    Messi
    3% 14 votes
    Iniesta
    34% 161 votes
    Ronaldinho
    9% 46 votes
    Rooney
    0% 2 votes
    Kaka
    4% 22 votes
    Henry
    14% 66 votes
    Robben
    1% 6 votes
    Robinho
    0% 0 votes
    Ronaldo
    0% 2 votes
    Pato
    26% 124 votes
    Gerrard
    0% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Based on most recent form - Messi, Ronaldo & Gerrard for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Went with Messi, Kaka and Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

messi-gerrard-ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Ronaldo & Messi for the two wide positions and Kaká through the middle for me, i'd be surprised if anyone else gets picked tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Mr Alan wrote: »
    messi-gerrard-ronaldo
    Yep, the same. I'd hate to break up that Torres/Gerrard partnership, yeah know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Ronaldo & Messi for the two wide positions and Kaká through the middle for me, i'd be surprised if anyone else gets picked tbh

Well I reckon Gerrard might beat Kaka, not that I voted for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ronaldo, Messi, Rooney

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Before I posted this up I really looked at it as who was going to miss out between Gerrard and Kaka. I think it will be very close. The other 2 should be settled

Morzadec wrote: »
    Before I posted this up I really looked at it as who was going to miss out between Gerrard and Kaka. I think it will be very close. The other 2 should be settled

It might be a case of heart winning over head.
    But I suppose that's debatable as well.

i think most people would agree that Gerrard has been better than Kaka quite comfortably in the last 2 years.

Few things are against Gerrard.

1)Utd fans.
    2)Nationality (gerrard being English, Kaka being Brazilian).
    3)Kakas move to Real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

i think most people would agree that Gerrard has been better than Kaka quite comfortably in the last 2 years.

I would have to agree.

Not only do I think Gerrard should be picked in the centre behind the front man, I think he should be captain too. Think of him doing what he does for Liverpool, sometimes on his own but with players like Xavi, Essien, Ronaldo and messi around him, as well as the striker. for me it'd be unbelievably good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I am with Mr Alan, Messi-Gerrard-Ronaldo.

Gerrard gives you a bite, extra goal scoring ability and leadership in the attack, and since I want Nando as the lone striker, it is a proven partnership...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

1)Utd fans.
    3)Kakas move to Real.

Or could read:

Few things pro Gerrard

1) Liverpool fans
    2) Gerrard being English
    3) Gerrard plays in the Premier League

I'm goin with Ronaldo, Messi, Kaka as well with special mentions to Ribery and Gerrard. Gerrard is a brilliant player but his consistent under-performing for England sways it for me. I mean the afore-mentioned trio got 1-2-3 in the most recent World Player of the Year award. Says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

1)Utd fans.
    3)Kakas move to Real.

1) Incorrect. As a United fan i recognise Steven Gerrard as one of the best players in the world. Didnt like that generalisation.
    2) Incorrect. England are such an impressive team at the moment and Gerrard is a big part of that.
    3) Incorrect. I hate Real Madrid, so do 90% of football fans this summer i would have thought. Real have been linked with Arbeloa this summer, so it doesnt mean if you are bought by Real you are the best in your position.

Warper wrote: »
    Or could read:

Few things pro Gerrard

1) Liverpool fans
    2) Gerrard being English
    3) Gerrard plays in the Premier League

I'm goin with Ronaldo, Messi, Kaka as well with special mentions to Ribery and Gerrard. Gerrard is a brilliant player but his consistent under-performing for England sways it for me. I mean the afore-mentioned trio got 1-2-3 in the most recent World Player of the Year award. Says it all.

Kaka hasn't even played in the Chamions League the last 2 years, the biggest competition in club football....but yep, gerrards form for England is where he falls down :rolleyes:

actually aren't Brazil struggling internationally the last couple of years in WC qualification whereas England are walking it?

Gerrard last season.....30 starts in the league (a good few in CM), 16 goals & 9 assists.

Champions League.......7 starts, 7 goals & 1 assist.

yep its Liverpool fans blind bias :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,461 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Yep, the same. I'd hate to break up that Torres/Gerrard partnership, yeah know.

Thats my reasoning. Ronaldo and Messi are easy picks, then it was either Iniesta or Gerrard for me. Decided on Gerrard cause I'll be picking Torres up front.

Gerrard last season.....30 starts in the league (a good few in CM), 16 goals & 9 assists.

Champions League.......7 starts, 7 goals & 1 assist.

yep its Liverpool fans blind bias :rolleyes:

I did vote for Gerrard, but have to point out - Kaka's domestic stats are basically the same. 31 games, 16 goals, 9 assists.

true, but again most would be agreed that Gerrard plays in the tougher league. As well as in the CL. as well as being in CM for periods before Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Gerrard got my vote over Kaka due to his leadership skills. I'd have him as captain over the only other real option in the team - Ferdinand. His fighting mentality would also be needed in games where Ronaldo, Messi & the CF are getting booted around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I went for Messi-Kaka-Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

To all you voting for Kaka over Gerrard, did your time machines stop in 2007? Madness.

Ribery, Gerrard, Messi for me.

true, but again most would be agreed that Gerrard plays in the tougher league. As well as in the CL. as well as being in CM for periods before Christmas.

whatever about the CM role (I think people could argue Kaka was trying to carry an aging Milan side) but whatever. Kaka didn't even come into the equation for me - I haven't seen enough of him to judge him either way. Only highlights online and Brazil games. For me, it was between Iniesta and Gerrard.

fkt wrote: »
    To all you voting for Kaka over Gerrard, did your time machines stop in 2007? Madness.

lol - kaka over gerrard is madness, then you pick Ribery over Ronaldo.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What you don't know Mr Alan, most United fans respect Gerrard as one of the best players in the world. How about I make some sweeping generalizations of my own?

I voted Messi - Gerrard - Ronaldo.

To be honest I'll be shocked if you're not a liverpool fan.

And did your time machine skip the last 3 years of Ronaldo playing?

To be honest I'll be shocked if you're not a liverpool fan.
    So you think Kaka is better than Gerrard?

• Advertisement

lol at not picking Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No Franky Lamps?

So you think Kaka is better than Gerrard?
    No, I think Gerrard is better then Kaka, but you went full circle by not picking an ex-Man Utd player Ronaldo. Unless you've a personal hate towards the man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,731 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Messi - Rooney - Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Kaka hasn't even played in the Chamions League the last 2 years, the biggest competition in club football....but yep, gerrards form for England is where he falls down :rolleyes:

actually aren't Brazil struggling internationally the last couple of years in WC qualification whereas England are walking it?

Eh, Brazil are top of the South American World Cup qualifying group. This group would be a lot more competitive than the mickey mouse group England are in. England couldn't even qualify for last year's Euro's.

I'm not doubting that Gerrard is a class player. He produces double-figure match-winning performances for his club every year. His committment to Liverpool is unquestioned. But a straight choice between Gerrard and Kaka - Kaka wins. Kaka is better technically than Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I went for

Iniesta - Gerrard - Messi

The conductor - the accelerator - the messi

I can't believe so many people overlook Iniesta. He has to be one of the most underrated players of all time. But I suppose only those that support the Blaugrana will understand just how important and influential he is.

Gerrard and Messi speak for themselves

• Advertisement

No, I think Gerrard is better then Kaka, but you went full circle by not picking an ex-Man Utd player Ronaldo. Unless you've a personal hate towards the man

Why would I have something against anyone who left that pack of animals bringing severe displeasure to all their supporters?

It's nothing about Ronaldo why I picked Ribery.

Do any of you questioning Ribery actually watch Bundesliga?

Why would I have something against anyone who left that pack of animals bringing severe displeasure to all their supporters?

It's nothing about Ronaldo why I picked Ribery.

Do any of you questioning Ribery actually watch Bundesliga?

But Ribery isn't better than Ronaldo. No discussion necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Messi - Kaka - Ronaldo...

3 best players in the world atm for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Ronaldo Kaka Messi - Easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

messi-iniesta-ribery

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Iniesta - Arshavin - Messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Ronaldo Gerrard Messi. was very hard to leave Rooney out tbh but these three have always done the job and I couldnt leave gerrard out, he is too big a player and shows up nearly all the time when needed.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ok I really want to pick Gerrard as I think he's the most complete midfielder to have played in the Premiership and I'd have given any amount of money to have him at City BUT I just can't look past Ronaldo, Kaka and Messi for the three spots.

So it's the bench for Stevie G (unless he bribes with a go at his missus! :pac:)

Also, apologies to Robinho :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Ronaldo - Kaka - Messi

Get those 3 in and with the team already(with Torres upfront) I would say this experiment has been a big success.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I really dont understand the people leaving the World player of the year who just had an 80m transfer out of the world X1, but to each their own and all that nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I really dont understand the people leaving the World player of the year who just had an 80m transfer out of the world X1, but to each their own and all that nonsense

They graduated from the Eamon Dunphy school of being wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Morzadec wrote: »
    Xavi and Essien just became the latest members of the team, so our team looks like this...

Casillas
    Maicon---Ferdinand----Vidic---Evra

Xavi
    Essien

?????
    ?????
    ??????

?????

Iniesta will be included in this poll due to popular demand. I'm not going to include others from the Centre-mid poll such as Lampard and Fabregas because I don't feel they ammassed enough votes to be considered a challenge for this position. Also I would say its reasonable to argue that Iniesta didn't really belong in the CM category whereas the others all did.

I debated breaking this category up, but I feel it makes sense like this. Pretty much all the players in this poll are versatile enough to fit into any of the 3 positions here. And considering the 2 fairly nailed on players could definitely switch between all 3 I see no problems arising in team balance/formation.

So its multiple voting again. Vote for the 3 players you would like to see in the team. The 3 highest at the end will make it in. Voting closes in 3 days.

Pato is a striker...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I went Arshavin - Kaka - Messi.

I just hate ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

:o
    Wasn't really paying very close attention when voting, and thought the best 3 had conveniently been put together, so messi, iniesta, ronaldinho for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'm a United fan but I went Messi, Ronaldo, Gerrard. And I'd pick in that order too. Can't see how anyone can choose anybody ahead of these three.

• Advertisement
Advertisement