Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie World XI - Winger/ Attcking Mid/ Playmaker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Man, I can't believe Iniesta might not even be in the team now, best player in the world IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Man, I can't believe Iniesta might not even be in the team now, best player in the world IMO.

Definitely a superb player but I couldn't put him ahead of Ronaldo, Messi or Gerrard in an AM/winger position. Neither would I put him ahead of Essien and Xavi in midfield! So, even though he's an amazing player, I can't fit him in my team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Picking Arshavin as the best one of the best 3 attacking midfield players in the world?

My head hurts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Seaneh wrote: »
    Pato is a striker...

Ya, I don't know why he's in this category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Iniesta, Messi, Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Why is Riquelme not in the list?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

tdv wrote: »
    Why is Riquelme not in the list?

out of sight out of mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Iniesta, Messi, Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

out of sight out of mind

Such is the way. :(

I only hope they remember that Cissé is still around too, for the striker poll.

• Advertisement

meh in both cases it wouldent make a difference as they wouldent get picked over Ronaldo, Messi, Kaka & gerrard (to a lesser extent Ribery & Iniesta) or Torres, Eto'o, Benzema etc up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Tough one that, Ronaldo Messi Kaka for me. Tried to squeeze in Robinho but he's fourth to those three.

Is there a joke in here somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I accidently choose Iniesta over Messi :(

Other players I choose were Gerard and Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

You misspelled Stephen Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

out of sight out of mind

Same as Ronaldinho & Kaka. I don't think there was any channels last year in the UK or Ireland that brodcasted any AC Milan matches.
    And if you were lucky enough to find a decent stream for Serie A matches last season you would have found out that Ronaldinho dose not deserve to be any list.

• Advertisement

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    You misspelled Stephen Ireland

i believe he was spelled Robben in the poll ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Ronaldo & Messi for the two wide positions and Kaká through the middle for me
    Same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta.

Messi and Ronaldo are nailed on for me - I hate Ronaldo too but can't believe anyone would leave him out.

Either of them can play centrally with Iniesta mainly playing down the left channel - seems to me, Iniesta is being viciously underrated by a lot of people. I can see why there's a discussion for the third spot but to just focus on Gerrard v Kaka is a big mistake I think.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta.

Messi and Ronaldo are nailed on for me - I hate Ronaldo too but can't believe anyone would leave him out.

Either of them can play centrally with Iniesta mainly playing down the left channel - seems to me, Iniesta is being viciously underrated by a lot of people. I can see why there's a discussion for the third spot but to just focus on Gerrard v Kaka is a big mistake I think.

Goals is where Iniesta lacks. As good or better in other departments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Ronaldo----Kaka----Messi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭automaticflare

Messi - Kaka - Ronaldo

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Messi, Iniesta, Ronaldo.

Iniesta's key role in Barca's success last season puts him in ahead of Gerrard, Kaka and the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Messi--Gerrard--Ronaldo

with Torres up top next. Has everything in a front four. An incredible, proven partnership, with the 2 best players in the world on either side of them.

Iniesta misses out in goals for me too, Dont think he'd be the best person to play with the other 2 in behind the front man, i think that position really needs someone who can lay it wide, follow through and finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Completely forgot about Riquelme apologies. But as has been stated it won't make much of a difference, although this could be said about many on this poll.

It's going to be an interesting result, certainly one of the more contentious positions.

As for Pato, havn't seen him play much, I kind of thought he was a behind the striker skillful type of player but got that wrong seemingly. He's nowhere near on this poll anyway, I'll throw him in on the striker poll but can't see him making an impact there either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Iniesta has to be in the team. It looks like he won't be, but he has to. I imagine Gerrard will get in ahead of him. Gerrard is a great player, and so is Kaka, but for me Iniesta is ahead of both of them.

Messi and Ronaldo obviously pick themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I can't believe that Gerrard is looking like he might miss out - I accept this is probably the most talented position, but he is the complete player, and has been proving it for the guts of a decade already...

Put it this way - if I had thought he'd miss out, I would have demanded his inclusion in the Right Back poll!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,461 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Dickerty wrote: »
    I can't believe that Gerrard is looking like he might miss out - I accept this is probably the most talented position, but he is the complete player, and has been proving it for the guts of a decade already...

Put it this way - if I had thought he'd miss out, I would have demanded his inclusion in the Right Back poll!

i'd be shocked if Gerrard doesn't get voted in. He will get all the Liverpool fan votes and he will get a good percentage of opposition fan's votes too, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Messi-Kaka-Ronaldo

*droooooollllll*

I reckon Kaka loses out for Gerrard though.

Pathetic.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Messi--Gerrard--Ronaldo

with Torres up top next. Has everything in a front four. An incredible, proven partnership, with the 2 best players in the world on either side of them.

Iniesta misses out in goals for me too, Dont think he'd be the best person to play with the other 2 in behind the front man, i think that position really needs someone who can lay it wide, follow through and finish.
    Not enough goals in the Messi-Torres/Whoever-Ronaldo trio?

Messi-Iniesta-Xavi should be a cert for any world XI imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Xavi isn't an attacking midfielder.

He plays just off the DM for Barça just behind Iniesta. But Iniesta should be a dead cert in that team.

My choice was

Iniesta - Gerrard - Messi

The Conductor - The Accelerator - The Messi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Des wrote: »
    Messi-Kaka-Ronaldo

*droooooollllll*

Pathetic.
    I don't think he will unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Plenty of goals there, also plenty of creativity in those guys + xavi and essien.

Personally id go for a fairly creative (extremely creative when with my choice of front man) guy who gets a lot of goals over an extremely creative guy who gets next to no goals.

If the formation was a bit different it would be different, but imo the man playing just off the striker needs a few goals to his game. Its so important for that player to be able to spread it wide to the 2 magic men and be charging in late to recieve again. A player on the move from deep in a central position is invaluable, its something that consistently catches defenders out as they're just not able to turn and get enough speed up to track sufficiently, all the momentum is with that central attacker. If Iniesta could finish, he'd be my pick.

Des, having Gerrard is pathetic? How so? I could undestand if it was Alonso over Xavi or Carra at the back or something, but Gerrard has been much more consistent then Kaka for a good 2 years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Des wrote: »
    Messi-Kaka-Ronaldo

*droooooollllll*

Pathetic.

I'd be the first to call out biased fan based inclusions. However, in this case I think there is a very solid argument for Gerrard's inclusion. You need to look at the numbers over the past two seasons. When you compare Gerrard and Kaka by those figures, I personally think you have to take Gerrard. Also, if Torres is going to be your striker, then picking Gerrard makes a lot of sense.

By the by, just as Reina picking up a number of votes for keeper was hilarious, the fact that Rooney has 14 votes so far is looooooooooool. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,731 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    By the by, just as Reina picking up a number of votes for keeper was hilarious, the fact that Rooney has 14 votes so far is looooooooooool. :rolleyes:

Ammm, results are supposed to be hidden. ;)

Boggles wrote: »
    Ammm, results are supposed to be hidden. ;)

Ooops! Forgot about that again! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Ooops! Forgot about that again! :o
    Stop doing that! :)

Ha, at least you havn't been giving anything important away!

I can see this debate going on for a while after the poll closes. It's going to be very interesting to see who makes this 3rd spot.

As for those 'Lol'ing at people choosing Gerrard over Kaka. I'm sure there's many a non-Liverpool fan who has voted for him over Kaka and would argue that he is a better player.

To be honest I would argue that Evra's inclusion at Left-Back is more of an example of fan bias than any possibility of Gerrard getting in here.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Xavi isn't an attacking midfielder.
    Never said he was.
    He plays just off the DM for Barça just behind Iniesta. But Iniesta should be a dead cert in that team.

My choice was

Iniesta - Gerrard - Messi

The Conductor - The Accelerator - The Messi
    I preferred it the original way tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Morzadec wrote: »
    As for those 'Lol'ing at people choosing Gerrard over Kaka. I'm sure there's many a non-Liverpool fan who has voted for him over Kaka and would argue that he is a better player.

Yeah sure I'm a United fan and I voted for him! There have been a good few other United fans doing the same. IMO he's a better all-round player than Kaka or any of the other contenders. Ronaldo and Messi should be nailed on and I think anyone not voting for them should get themselves checked out.
    Morzadec wrote: »
    To be honest I would argue that Evra's inclusion at Left-Back is more of an example of fan bias than any possibility of Gerrard getting in here.

I wouldn't agree with this. I think Evra is the standout left back in world football and, as such, the deserved winner of that poll.

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with this. I think Evra is the standout left back in world football and, as such, the deserved winner of that poll.

That's fair enough. For me it's Ashley Cole because he's proven himself over many seasons. I think after next year this debate could be solved because I still feel Evra has a bit to prove after last season (I know he was unlucky with injuries). There's no doubting that Evra, on his day, is a world class fullback. I would just have a little more faith in Cole.

But choosing Evra is a valid footballing opinion to hold regardless of bias. Likewise choosing Gerrard here, just got a bit wound up by that post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

If the likes of Henry and Pato are in here then Mutu should certainly be available as a choice. He'd never win due to a lack of exposure but over the past 3 or so years he's been the stand out supporting striker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Messi....Kaka....Iniesta
    The creativity here would prize open the meanest of Defenses. Plus you have the versaility of Iniesta who can drop back later on if extra defending is needed.

I only just left Gerrard out. I did not put Ronoldo in as I rate others above him for their team ethic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Chose Messi-Kaka-Ronaldo.

Can't leave Messi out, or Ronaldo(even though I didn't want to pick him).Picked Kaka as he has a chance of getting in unlike Arshavin,who I would have picked normally.

On the left-back thing, Lahm is better than Evra, but it was always a cert that he was going in to get in.If you're on about bias, you just need to look at the amount of votes O'Shea got.

PhilipLahm_1_.jpg

Evra just isn't a better footballer than the man pictured above. Every vote so far has had examples of fan biased voting. Why people feel the need to do it is beyond me, but I digress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Also, if Torres is going to be your striker, then picking Gerrard makes a lot of sense.

Why do you assume Torres will be the striker? Villa is better than him

For what it's worth I would take Messi - Iniesta - Ronaldo with Gerrard a close fourth. Kaka hasn't been as impressive the last two years (I did vote for Ribery by mistake though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

lol at people writing off choices as fan based approaches.
    Some people see different things in players :) It is actually possible that people do think that their own teams players are the best in the world, even without bias :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

PHB wrote: »
    It is actually possible that people do think that their own teams players are the best in the world, even without bias :)

Is this not just the definition of bias?

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Mutu ... over the past 3 or so years he's been the stand out supporting striker
    Yeah he is quality. But, personaly, i wouldn't say he's best. Still, i do rate him highly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd be the first to call out biased fan based inclusions. However, in this case I think there is a very solid argument for Gerrard's inclusion. You need to look at the numbers over the past two seasons. When you compare Gerrard and Kaka by those figures, I personally think you have to take Gerrard. Also, if Torres is going to be your striker, then picking Gerrard makes a lot of sense.

Kaka and Gerrards stats over the last two seasons for Goals and assists are insanely similar, and kaka missed 3-4 months of each season.

I think if you go down the stats track you HAVE to take kaka.

Right, i've just managed to work out how to do multiple votes on my phone.

So, Ronaldo and Messi out wide- easy.

Then in the centre: Iniesta didn't get a look in because he's not going to bring as many goals as the other options.
    Kaka is a player that i really like and i really considered for this spot.
    But i think Gerrard's fire in the belly would be invaluable to the front line of this team. He'd be the perfect leader. The only other player in the list that could bring some grit to this position would be Rooney but Gerrard is way more experienced. Also i think he's more dangerous from crosses than any of the other options.

I don't think that Gerrard is the complete midfielder that some people paint him to be - his first touch and close control aren't near the others on this list but he makes up for that with world class finishing from long range and in close, good passing and an amazing attitude.

Ronaldo, Gerrard, Messi

• Advertisement
Advertisement