Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie World XI - Winger/ Attcking Mid/ Playmaker

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Messi
    Kaka
    Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't know if this has been said but the position for this is too vague. Some are attacking centre mids (Iniesta) and others (Rooney/Henry/Gerrard/Aguero) are strikers while others are wingers (Ribery/Robben). This should have been broken up a bit more imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Liam O wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been said but the position for this is too vague. Some are attacking centre mids (Iniesta) and others (Rooney/Henry/Gerrard/Aguero) are strikers while others are wingers (Ribery/Robben). This should have been broken up a bit more imo.
    Just think of it as building a team with the popular 4-2-3-1 formation. Henry and others may also be in the striker poll.

btw, Gerrard a striker? :)

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Just think of it as building a team with the popular 4-2-3-1 formation. Henry and others may also be in the striker poll.

btw, Gerrard a striker? :)

really don't want to get into the argument but yes he is. He plays up front with Torres with little defensive responsibility=striker

I think there was a big argument about it a few months ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Liam O wrote: »
    really don't want to get into the argument but yes he is. He plays up front with Torres with little defensive responsibility=striker

I think there was a big argument about it a few months ago...

It's a silly argument though.
    Is Kaka a striker? NO IMO.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    It's a silly argument though.
    Is Kaka a striker? NO IMO.

I know. But Rooney playing in a similar position IS a striker so go figure. It really is just a lot of hullaballoo about something that doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    and not only that, but he has a really impressive assit total ( I'll find the exact figure soon)

Iniesta has 10 assists in the league & Champions League.

Gerrard has 10 as well in the same comps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Confirmed

Ronaldo - Gerrard - Messi

No argument from me. I would of picked Kaka but there is not much difference at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I really wish these polls were public :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

carlop wrote: »
    Iniesta hardly appeared overnight!
    You're right he didn't. But the "I always said he was a brilliant player" comments sure did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Wow, Gerrard > Kaka? Surprised by that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Juan Pablo wrote: »

I'm more surprised by Kaka > Iniesta to be honest. Also find it interesting that one in three people don't think Ronaldo should be there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

am not surprised at all gerrard is the best AM in the world at the minute and is just after finishing another fantastic season. while kaka is a great player he is not the same player he was 3/4 seasons ago and the last two years he has declined a bit, maybe the move to madrid will freshen him up and he will regain the form that made him the best player in the world a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

12.02% of people here are retarded for not voting for Messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd love a good PR-STV in here, would be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'd say those that didn't vote for Messi are those that voted for just 1 player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,461 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd say there are a few people that voted with the team in mind, as opposed to individual players.

Kaka, individually, may be better than Gerrard.
    Iniesta, individually, may be better than Gerrard.

However, when looking at it from a team perspective, I reckon Gerrard got a good number of votes based on the fact many people will vote Torres as the striker, and the Gerrard/Torres partnership is brilliant, and is what people voted for, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Are you really going to try and say that a team with Essien, Xavi, Messi, Gerrard and Ronaldo isn't creative?! I would say the only one of those who isn't very creative is Ronaldo. Its not like Gerrard in for Iniesta is a real let down on creativity, he's slightly less creative, but scores way more goals. If teamed with Torres, i think the creativity is not even very different as Gerrard and Torres have a nigh on telepathic understanding, play amazing through balls and link ups together.
    Pro. F wrote:
    Essien, Xavi, Messi & Ronaldo - there is boat loads of creativity and approach play there (Ronaldo still adds a good bit creatively imo).
    I never said the team wouldn't be creative - I said you "miss out on a certain amount of creativity and approach play". You're just reversing the argument though to "you miss out on goals if Gerrard isn't in" - I guess it's just a difference of opinion, mainly because I wouldn't consider Essien 'creative' in that sense, especially as he was voted in as a DM so he'll be back minding the house. And Ronaldo I'll still maintain is a (lethal) finisher now, not a creator.

Also, if you're going to bring understanding into it, I'd rather enjoy having both the Iniesta-Messi-Xavi axis and the Iniesta-Xavi-Torres/Villa (if either of those are voted in) combo in the team. More options than planning on building the team around the only two Liverpool players in there (if Torres gets in).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

I'd say there are a few people that voted with the team in mind, as opposed to individual players.

Kaka, individually, may be better than Gerrard.
    Iniesta, individually, may be better than Gerrard.

However, when looking at it from a team perspective, I reckon Gerrard got a good number of votes based on the fact many people will vote Torres as the striker, and the Gerrard/Torres partnership is brilliant, and is what people voted for, imo.

I can see where you are coming from alright, I really just picked who I felt were the three best from that list. Although Iniesta probably deserves to be in as well, but there wasn't the room!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    mainly because I wouldn't consider Essien 'creative' in that sense, especially as he was voted in as a DM so he'll be back minding the house. And Ronaldo I'll still maintain is a (lethal) finisher now, not a creator.
    I mentioned Essien because he has the required ability to help keep possession. Get the ball from the back line, turn and give it to the really creative lads. He'd help keep things ticking over when the team was in possession.
    yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I never said the team wouldn't be creative - I said you "miss out on a certain amount of creativity and approach play". You're just reversing the argument though to "you miss out on goals if Gerrard isn't in" - I guess it's just a difference of opinion,
    Yeah I agree, it does just boil down to a different view of what would be best/most useful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement