Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flickering light bulb!

Options
  • 06-07-2009 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

Need help, please.

I recently changed the bulb holders in my kitchen. One of the two in there is on a 2 way switch.
    I installed CFL bulbs in both, and they work fine, except that the bulb controlled by the 2 way switch, seems to flicker on and off even when it is switched off!!!!!
    When I switch the light off, it goes off no problem, BUT if you stand and watch for a couple of minutes, it flickers on again for a split second :o It continues to do that, flickering on about once every 2 or 3 minutes for up to a half an hour or so, and then stays off.

I have put different bulb in, and I get the same problem???

Can anybody explain, what on earth is going on :(

R

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭edward543350

it could be getting a back fed from another light though the neutral making it flash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

it could be getting a back fed from another light though the neutral making it flash

Is this a potential safety issue?

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭edward543350

no it could be just one of does things that happen.try putting a bc bulb into the fitting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

The problem is that there voltage/current trapped in the strappers,then the capacitor in the cfl begins to charge,when it gets to about 70v it will discharge causing the lamp to flicker,it will repeat the process till all the trapped voltage/current is gone,to solvethis you cAn use a snubber which gets rid of the stray volatage through earth,but the only problem with this is that if you are feeding the lighting via a rcd it will of course cause it to trip.

I hope this helps

Advertisement