Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sorry... another newbie 'what camera' thread!

• 06-07-2009 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm hoping to start a bit of photography in the next few weeks. I'm quite the lurker in the Random Photos thread (you'll see my thanks at the end of almost every post -- some good quality in these forums! :D), and those are the kind of photos I'd be hoping to do.

I wanna be able to make fancy dan photos like this one :D

8E9221F1B2CA44998416744075F37D16-800.jpg

and be able to focus on particular things like this

C6C991223EE34054833543425817D6AC.jpg

So I gather I'll need to be picking up an SLR!

I'm a camera noob really, but I've looked through the various threads. However my price range is very low since I'm not working at the mo -- around the €200 mark is probably the highest I can go :(

Could someone recommend an SLR that's in that range? Preferably with a link to a good retailer...

I'll also be picking up 'Understanding Exposure', as per recommendations in nearly every thread on here :D

Anyways, any thoughts welcome, cheers lads.

Keep up the good work too, yer photos are class

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Well don't necessarily need an dslr and theres a lot more to taking great photos than just getting a good camera

You'll find it hard to get a dslr for 200€... cheapest I've seen is about 350€

Could go for a bridge carmera, good bit cheaper than dslr, good way to learn about manual controls.

Might be able to pick up a dslr or bridge camera second hand on adverts.ie or ebay. Pixmania.ie is a good place for pricing cameras

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

€200 is very low for a DSLR, but you could pick up a good used Bridge Camera for that money.

I have a D70S with an 18-55mm VR (D60 Kit Lens) which I let people learn with. It's a very capable camera & you would be welcome to use it on a meet. Would only cost a pint or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

If allright with s/h gear (and many people around these part have wonderful experiences to tell), then you might get something for a few dollars more than you had hoped in the DSLR range.

For example: There's a nikon D70 body and battery grip on adverts for €220. You'd need to pick up a kit lens (** Anyone got an idea of the cost of one of these for the D70 **). Or another one for €180 without the battery grip (again no lens).

The second of these appears to have had less use so may be a better target if you were interested.

Declaration - i've no commercial interest in the sale of the linked items. You should check other s/h sources too before you make up your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

I'd highly recommend a bridge camera for your budget.

I've used a Fuji s6500fd bridge camera for the last couple of years and just got my first DSLR in the last few weeks - Nikon D60 with kit lens. I'm actually finding the kit lens very slow and a bit limiting compared to the Fuji. I expect the Nikon is capable of taking much much better photos once I have money for better lenses, but for now I'm still using my Fuji quite a lot. I use the Nikon for macro shots and when I want better control of narrower depth of field.

Keep an eye on Adverts.ie . I'd recommend the Fuji s6500 or s9600 if one comes up... they'll give you great control and once you get used to the twist-barrel lens you can't go back to waiting and listening to the little motors zooming in and out for you! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I would recommend the Nikon D40 kit for a starting point. It is out of production now but still a very capable camera. The best price I can find so far is from Argos up North for £246 Here compared to €379 in Irish Argos stores. Might be worth a trip up to Belfast..

Next closest is Amazon at £279 ex delivery (probably no more than £10) Here
    Worth considering, other than that its a Bridge camera for your budget restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Another vote for the D40, you can pick it up really cheap and it's a great little camera. You might need to try and save a bit more money for it but it'll be worth it over a bridge camera in my opinion. If you buy a bridge cam you probably end up upgrading to an slr anyway.

Advertisement