Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: Banned from Laptops

Options
  • 06-07-2009 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

I am asking for this ban and infraction to be removed as soon as possible. Alanstrainor is way out of line for banning me in my opinion.
    Hi weird,

You have been banned from Laptops for the following duration:

2 Month(s)

for the following reason:

dragging up old threads to get business.

Providing your ban is not permanent, it will be lifted automatically after 2 Month(s). You will get an automatic message informing you that the ban is lifted. If you do not receive this message after the alloted time, please PM a moderator to clarify.
    Also, please be aware that an abusive response to this automated message may result in an extension of your ban, or in extreme cases, being banned from the entire site.

Thanks,

Forum Moderator.

I noticed several threads where people were looking for drivers for thier iQon computers over the last few months. Recently I recieved a box full of iQon recovery disks for various different models they sold from a friend who worked there.

So I posted the following on threads that I found:
    I have the original images for many of the desktop and laptop computers iQon sold. PM me with your model number and I will see if I can help.

Posted this on a few different threads hoping to help the original posters and also provide help to anyone who may search in the future.

I am doing this as a boards.ie community service, for free, because I know what it's like when you can get drivers for your computer. This mod assumed I was doing it to "get business". Nowhere in my posts to these forums did I saying about charging. This is insulting and whats more he didn't wait for me to reply to his original infraction before banning me.

Also, he sent me an infraction first before banning me 2 minutes later

here is the infraction:
    Dear weird,

You have received an infraction at boards.ie.

Reason: Being Naughty
    Stop dragging up iqon threads

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61015285
    Quote:
    I have the original images for many of the desktop and laptop computers iQon sold. PM me with your model number and I will see if I can help.
    All the best,
    boards.ie

I ask that the infraction and the ban be lifted as soon as possible please. I don't feel I have done anything wrong here. The mod (Alanstrainor ) shot first and asked questions later.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Did you try talking to the Mod first? Dragging up old threads in this manner is generally seen as a no-no and in fairness, looks pretty spammy in a case like this.

PM Alanstrainor first if you haven't already and see what ye can figure out between yourselves. Seems like a misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What you did is you posted on 7 different threads with exactly the same message, without any consideration as to the age of the threads or the requirements of the people who had previously posted in those threads.

That's considered a form of spamming. Alanstrainor believed that your actions were the actions of someone drumming up business, which is a reasonable assumption to make since you took a scattergun approach to what you were doing without taking into account that most of the threads you replied to were more than 18 months old. This usually indicates that someone has simply searched for one or two keywords and posted on every thread they could find.

PM Alanstrainor to discuss this. I believe his actions were reasonable and warranted based on the information he had to hand. If his actions were hasty, then you can chat to him nicely to explain to him your position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭weird

Dav wrote: »
    Did you try talking to the Mod first? Dragging up old threads in this manner is generally seen as a no-no and in fairness, looks pretty spammy in a case like this.

PM Alanstrainor first if you haven't already and see what ye can figure out between yourselves. Seems like a misunderstanding.

Hi Dav,

Thanks for your reply.

Here's the course of events:

I received and infraction from mod Alanstrainor . I then PM'd the mod Alanstrainor. Alanstrainor then banned me for two months. Alanstrainor then replied to the PM stating he'd reverse my ban, but he infraction would stay.

I am asking that both ban and infraction are completely reversed as I did nothing wrong whatsoever and the mod assumed I was looking for business (even though I mentioned nothing of the sort, again he assumed this).

If mods don't want certain threads replied to they should lock them yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭weird

seamus wrote: »
    What you did is you posted on 7 different threads with exactly the same message, without any consideration as to the age of the threads or the requirements of the people who had previously posted in those threads.

That's considered a form of spamming. Alanstrainor believed that your actions were the actions of someone drumming up business, which is a reasonable assumption to make since you took a scattergun approach to what you were doing without taking into account that most of the threads you replied to were more than 18 months old. This usually indicates that someone has simply searched for one or two keywords and posted on every thread they could find.

PM Alanstrainor to discuss this. I believe his actions were reasonable and warranted based on the information he had to hand. If his actions were hasty, then you can chat to him nicely to explain to him your position.

iQon computers are no longer being made so the age of the thread is inconsequential. It hurts no one to post on an old thread. It was not a "scattergunned" approch, I replied on all threads were drivers were mentioned so if anyone was searching for a particular iQon computer model in the future they'd see that I was resource that could help.

Already PM'd him... please see my other post. In my opinion this is irresponsible modding. I could understand his assumption if I had said "i've got iQon restore disks just €9.99!" But that is NOT what I posted.

Advertisement