Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speed check N32 north Dublin today 06/07/09

• 06-07-2009 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭

Never seen one here before, speed limit is a low 60km/h and a lot of people are being caught!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭zzap64

40Km/h? Surely it's 60Km/h, which is still rather low for the lay of the road but I guess the traffic lights on it are part of the reasoning behind it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

zzap64 wrote: »
    40Km/h? Surely it's 60Km/h, which is still rather low for the lay of the road but I guess the traffic lights on it are part of the reasoning behind it...

apologies its 60 km/h! post edited (still quite slow for a 2 lane carrigeway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The speed is 60 kph. I've seen them the odd time, usually a bike. They were more common when the road had bus lanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

nuisance of a road. It is difficult to drive that slow on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭zzap64

Don't live near it anymore but do use it when visiting the parent's. What is the story with the "bus" lane? I know no buses use it anymore (RIP AerDart) , but I guess taxis and cyclist's still do / can.

Is it still an official bus lane or has it been decomissioned and they just didn't bother getting rid of the signs / road markings?

• Advertisement

The bus lane been decomissioned, the signs are gone and I think the lane markings have been left to fade.

They are hiding in the bushes near the entrance to the traveller site going towards Clare Hall and Malahide Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

The bus lane been decomissioned, the signs are gone and I think the lane markings have been left to fade.

They are hiding in the bushes near the entrance to the traveller site going towards Clare Hall and Malahide Road

Wouldn't they be better off going in to the traveller camps and checking for tax and insurance there. It'd be like shooting fish in a barrel and then they'd be leaving the rest of us law abiding citizens alone.

This speed check is just another of the countless examples of the Gardee picking up some easy notches on the promotion ladder. They'd be better off having speed checks on the narrow, twisting country roads that have a speed limit of 80kph but that should be 60kph or lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

They'd be better off having speed checks on the narrow, twisting country roads that have a speed limit of 80kph but that should be 60kph or lower.

In fairness there could be safety risks for them doing speed checks on a twisty road...not to mention no long line of sight for the gun.

But yeah...major shooting fish in the barrell on the N32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

Wouldn't they be better off going in to the traveller camps and checking for tax and insurance there. It'd be like shooting fish in a barrel and then they'd be leaving the rest of us law abiding citizens alone.

This speed check is just another of the countless examples of the Gardee picking up some easy notches on the promotion ladder. They'd be better off having speed checks on the narrow, twisting country roads that have a speed limit of 80kph but that should be 60kph or lower.

Humdrum...Next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I thought they always waited at the old entrance to belcamp college to get people. Either way they used to check down there fairly often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I remember seeing a check (being run by a single female biker) under the advertising hoarding (about 2/3 of the way down the road, having come from the Malahide Road, heading towards the airport).

The ad above her head was from the anti-litter campaign from (it was about a year ago), it read in massive letters "FILTH" :D

Had I not been driving, I'd have whipped the mobile out and snapped it :)

McCrack wrote: »
    Humdrum...Next.

And your point being..................?

Cops catching people on a perfectly straight road will not get them any respect from the average motorist but if I see cops out on the narrow roads (i.e. 2 cars passing each other have to be careful they don't clip wing mirrors) round my place to catch the muppets (incl. 20 tonne dumpers) booting down the road, then they'll get no complaints from me. But of course its far easier to get loads of people on a good straight road and then nip back to the station in time for tea and a pat on the back from the Superintendent for keeping up their stats on road safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

N32 and Oscar Traynor Road are two common honeypots for them...

And your point being..................?

Cops catching people on a perfectly straight road will not get them any respect from the average motorist but if I see cops out on the narrow roads (i.e. 2 cars passing each other have to be careful they don't clip wing mirrors) round my place to catch the muppets (incl. 20 tonne dumpers) booting down the road, then they'll get no complaints from me. But of course its far easier to get loads of people on a good straight road and then nip back to the station in time for tea and a pat on the back from the Superintendent for keeping up their stats on road safety.

O the cynicism.

That's right the Gardai should be out using their limited resources to catch other people who break road traffic law on narrow bendy roads only and not the good folk that break traffic law on straight and wide roads.

Um I'm not sure I subscribe to this somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

That's right the Gardai should be out using their limited resources to catch other people who break road traffic law on narrow bendy roads only and not the good folk that break traffic law on straight and wide roads.

Precisely, because this is where the most deaths are occuring. I couldn't have put it better myself.

polyfusion wrote: »
    Precisely, because this is where the most deaths are occuring. I couldn't have put it better myself.

That's not correct.

Analysis conducted by the Garda and the NRA show that most traffic accidents resulting in serious injury and death occur on national primary routes which are by their nature good quality roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

That's not correct.

Analysis conducted by the Garda and the NRA show that most traffic accidents resulting in serious injury and death occur on national primary routes which are by their nature good quality roads.

Interesting that the ones that issue the fines also get to conduct the research....oh im a cynical bisterd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

That's not correct.

Many national routes are not good quality , some are no more than winding country lanes . However they have a 100k speed limit.

That's not correct.

I don't recall saying that most deaths occur on primary routes - I quoted your part about "narrow bendy roads", and alluded to the fact that this is where most deaths occur. We have our share of narrow bendy roads which are primary (and other) routes. The fact is that I NEVER see the traffic corp on roads that I would consider "narrow and bendy", and it's these roads where you are more likely to see cars that have gone into trees or off the road into a field, or artic truckers booting along half on the wrong side of the road around blind bends, and it's here that it's most likely to result in serious injuries.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Many national routes are not good quality , some are no more than winding country lanes . However they have a 100k speed limit.

They are. National primary routes are good quality roads. Local (country lanes) and regional (prefix R) not so much.

• Advertisement

polyfusion wrote: »
    I don't recall saying that most deaths occur on primary routes - I quoted your part about "narrow bendy roads", and alluded to the fact that this is where most deaths occur. We have our share of narrow bendy roads which are primary (and other) routes. The fact is that I NEVER see the traffic corp on roads that I would consider "narrow and bendy", and it's these roads where you are more likely to see cars that have gone into trees or off the road into a field, or artic truckers booting along half on the wrong side of the road around blind bends, and it's here that it's most likely to result in serious injuries.

You stated that most deaths occur on local/regional roads which is not correct. Narrow bendy roads are not primary routes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roads_in_Ireland#Regional_roads

The fact that you have NEVER (your emphasis) seen a Garda on these roads does not and I can assure you, mean they do not police them, which includes road traffic enforcement.

Narrow bendy roads are not primary routes.

Have you ever been on the N16? I'm sure there are loads of other examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Wow, another speed check point thread decends into the right and wrongs or where a check point should be or what the limits should be...

Check points should not be a problem on major routes, like the road mentioned. As these are usually well signed posted with the correct speed limits. Stick to these are you'll be grand...

Wow, another speed check point thread decends into the right and wrongs or where a check point should be or what the limits should be...

Check points should not be a problem on major routes, like the road mentioned. As these are usually well signed posted with the correct speed limits. Stick to these are you'll be grand...

You're right, always fruitless moaning about these things here; usually generalisations or extreme examples, which are difficult to apply or compare. The problem is that it's not much better in the real world either.

The speedlimit is not well signposted on the N32, It should at least be an 80 kmph road, and catching people in yesterdays pefect driving conditions and fining them for 70 kmph is a waste of time, a source of aggrivation and ineffective at reducing accidents on a comparitively safe road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

They are. National primary routes are good quality roads. Local (country lanes) and regional (prefix R) not so much.

You need to get out more, there's lots of N class roads that are terrible. Obviously the Main roads connecting cities are grand, but there's plenty of N roads that could have 60kph limits on them they're so bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

The speedlimit is not well signposted on the N32, It should at least be an 80 kmph road, and catching people in yesterdays pefect driving conditions and fining them for 70 kmph is a waste of time, a source of aggrivation and ineffective at reducing accidents on a comparitively safe road.

Sorry was thinking of the N4 near Chapilizod for some reason, but I did mean most major roads.....

Even still I would be supprised if the speed limit was not signposted just after you turned on to the N32.

From Malahide road, the only sign is near the begining and is partially concealed from some angles by an overgrown tree branch, from the M50 side, I dont recall an obvious sign but it may be there (can't see that far from my window), but if they are determined enough to catch and fine people, because of genuine danger, then more effort and money should be spent on clear signposting at regular intervals.

Also over the last year and a half, looking out on this road, I have not seen one accident, wheras just round the corner on the Malahide Road(where the turnoff for Belmayne is and the road narrows) I have personally seen 2 minor accidents happen, seen the aftermath of three minor accidents and seen an abulance arriving at the scene of slightly more serious accident.

For these reasons, I feel that a guard hiding behind a bush on a sunny day on a two lane road where the limit is unneccesarily low, is annoying, aggrivating and dissapointing.

That's not correct.

You've obviously never driven from Longford west to Mayo on the N5, a national primary route. While it is vastly improved over what it used to be, once you get past Strokestown, it is a complete joke calling this a national primary route and it is lethal in places. However, I've never seen a cop on the bad bits but they're out in force on the few good straight stretches. The cops prefer to shoot the fish in the barrel as its so much easier than policing the really dangerous roads where the lunatics know that they're relatively safe from being caught speeding as all the local cops are headed for the nearest motorway, dual carriageway, town bypass etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I see you've never driven in Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have you EVER left Dublin?

National primary roads can be atrocious, particularly along the western seaboard. But even the current N9 to Waterford is twisty and lethal in parts. National secondary roads (which are also 100km/h) generally *are* atrocious.

In many counties R roads are generally of a higher standard than national secondary roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

if they are determined enough to catch and fine people, because of genuine danger, then more effort and money should be spent on clear signposting at regular intervals.
    Strange bit of logic this. You're saying that by posting more speed limit signs, it encourages people to break the law?
    For these reasons, I feel that a guard hiding behind a bush on a sunny day on a two lane road where the limit is unneccesarily low, is annoying, aggrivating and dissapointing.
    It's an urban main road, just within the city limits: 60 is a typical limit.

Strange bit of logic this. You're saying that by posting more speed limit signs, it encourages people to break the law?

This logic is not stange to me and you have completely misunderstood. If the road is dangerous, and poses a hazard to motorists and pedestrians, then resources would be better used by making every motorist aware of the limit by posting proper clear speed limit signs (which they are not on this road). I am saying that paying a member of the guards to hide behind a bush with a speed gun and dish out point and fines to people is neither a good approach towards increasing the safety of the road nor an efficent use of public resources. To add further to this, the road in question is has been free of accidents from 8am to 6 pm every weekday for the last year and a half while less than half a mile away, I have personally witnessed 2 accidents in the same spot and seen the clear up of more.
    It's an urban main road, just within the city limits: 60 is a typical limit.

Yes thats right, do you travel it regularly? its also part of the ringroad structure which in nearly every other city that I have been to, a 2 lane carrigeway round the edge of the city has a higher speed limit.

Advertisement