Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing on various computers

• 06-07-2009 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hey all, I've got another question.
    I want to start playing WoW but my laptop is currently away for repairs.
    I want to know, if I install on another laptop and begin to play, then when my own laptop is returned and I install the game on it, will I have to start again from scratch?
    I'd like to start playing now, then continue on another computer without losing my progress. When I sign back into my account on another machine, will my characters progress be there?
    I read somewhere that I can copy and paste a folder called "WTF" from the program files on one machine into another, thereby transferring my progress.
    Has anyone tried this, or another method?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You wont lose anything, as all your data is saved on the Blizzard servers. The only things you would lose are your local settings, like video/audio and your interface.

Also, you can do a full folder drag for Warcraft, and it will copy everything including settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

Sweet, thanks for the speedy reply. Think I'll head to town and pick up the battlechest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

i would suggest a hunter for your class

Ok, sorry to harp on about this but...
    I won't need a new authentication key to install and continue the game on a second machine, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

the aith key links to your account, not the machine. so no. all you need to know is your username and password.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Dont put yourself through the hassle of installing wow all over again!
    Just copy/paste the wow folder onto your machine when ya get it back.

Just borrow a big drive key or external hdd from someone if ya dont have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

goodlad wrote: »
    Dont put yourself through the hassle of installing wow all over again!
    Just copy/paste the wow folder onto your machine when ya get it back.

Just borrow a big drive key or external hdd from someone if ya dont have one.

dosnt always work but is worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

It does always wow.
    Wow doesnt need in install, it runs out of a folder perfectly.

Its also the best way to keep a backup of your wow in case of corrupt files which happens kinda often with wow.

If your files mess up just go into the other wow folder and start the game from there instead.
    It 100% works all the time as long as you copied the entire folder.

Thanks guys, that makes things simpler.
    I was raging last night when I decided to go ahead an install.
    Little did I know that I needed a credit card or prepaid game card just to get my first free month.
    I'm way too broke to fork out twenty something euro on the prepaid card so I'll have to borrow a credit card today. Woe is me.

I'm leaning towards Night Elf Druid for my first avatar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Druid's can be a tricky first character to play as you have all the form changing, paladins are probably pretty easy if you wanted one suitable for multiple roles. Maybe you're happy enough though with a bit of a challenge :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement