Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 vs. 100 to launch in the UK this Friday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I do think the 2 hours was a bit much... 45 minutes to an hour is plenty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

As posted in this thread on xbox.com, I really felt alot of the questions were really weighted heavily too much in a British nature. It's a beta for the UK & ROI, it should either be neutral or fair.
    Things like the British Eurovision coverage etc just seemed a bit unfair to us (imo).

Enjoyed it though, will check it out tomorrow again.

We did get the Potato Famine though...! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

basquille wrote: »
    We did get the Potato Famine though...! :o

That's known about all over the world though, not just in Ireland.

amacachi wrote: »
    That's known about all over the world though, not just in Ireland.
    I know.. I was joking..

..but to be fair, UK-based questions will be more recognisable / answered in Britain, Ireland, Wales, Scotland.

What would be a good Ireland based question? Something about Lorraine Keane, Brian O Driscoll or Glenda Gilson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

Good fun.. doubt anyone here was in the mob - most probably just assumed they were when they could play along. There's a difference between "the mob" (100 people) and "the crowd" (everyone else).

Did anyone else choose "Jeremy Beetle" instead of Jeremy Beadle? Goddamn speed answer..! :D

I got in the mob. In the 2nd round. When I got in so early in the game I assumed it'd be a more frequent occurrence. Screwed up on the "First Female Red Arrow" question. D'oh!

And yeah, chose Jeremy Beetle too. I missed a good few questions jumping the gun to try and get the bonus points.

Can't believe you get points for answering questions super fast even if you're wrong.
    "You were wrong. But you were very quick about it. Have some points."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Well if they plan to combine GB/IE regions, then questions should be generic enough for both.

I know.. I was joking..

..but to be fair, UK-based questions will be more recognisable / answered in Britain, Ireland, Wales, Scotland.

What would be a good Ireland based question? Something about Lorraine Keane, Brian O Driscoll or Glenda Gilson.

I guessed you weren't retarded, just for others reading this. :pac:

Yeah UK questions are easier for us than Irish questions are for UK players, still not fair. Neutral ones should be chosed, or even american ones.

seanos wrote: »
    Well if they plan to combine GB/IE regions, then questions should be generic enough for both.
    But let's be honest.. with regards to current affairs, we have BBC / Sky News / C4 (etc), Irish stations aren't as freely available there so what would they know about our current affairs?

Although I'd like to see it, Irish-based questions outside of entertainment (Westlife, U2, The Script etc) are very unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Irish current affairs coverage isn't that great either ;)

I think there's a fair bit of overlap for GB/IE, especially if include EU -- Lisbon, current, fairly general EU stuff. Top gear question good example of something which covered GB/IE fairly well I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

It really doesn't matter if it's easier for us to answer them. How are we supposed to know what 69p of British taxpayer money goes towards? (Ironically, I got that questions right)

There are Irish questions which are still easy enough for British people to answer (EG- Name given to the boom years, Title given to Irish Prime Minister)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

biggest waste of 2 1/2 hours of my life. Can't believe i was like the first person on it and still wasn't chosen to be in the MOB. load of british ****e if i'm honest.

PS: is that it with the microsoft points prizes or are they back next week?

As posted in this thread on xbox.com, I really felt alot of the questions were really weighted heavily too much in a British nature. It's a beta for the UK & ROI, it should either be neutral or fair.
    Things like the British Eurovision coverage etc just seemed a bit unfair to us (imo).

Enjoyed it though, will check it out tomorrow again.
    ^^^^

This...The EU community team for 1VS100 are viewing the 1VS100 forum so if we can get Irish people here to comment in that thread and keep it near the top of the thread list, then it will get seen and acted upon

celtic723 wrote: »
    biggest waste of 2 1/2 hours of my life. Can't believe i was like the first person on it and still wasn't chosen to be in the MOB. load of british ****e if i'm honest.

PS: is that it with the microsoft points prizes or are they back next week?
    No prizes won this week. The prizes next week are:
    Holiday Vouchers
    42" Samsung HDTVs
    Fiat 500s
    Samsung Laptop
    Casio camera

It really doesn't matter if it's easier for us to answer them. How are we supposed to know what 69p of British taxpayer money goes towards? (Ironically, I got that questions right)

There are Irish questions which are still easy enough for British people to answer (EG- Name given to the boom years, Title given to Irish Prime Minister)

Well there again we have to differ, I thought the 69p question was easy as it's been covered on loads of shows.

A Taoiseach question would be fairly hard for a lot of brits depending on the options.

Holiday Vouchers
    42" Samsung HDTVs
    Fiat 500s
    Samsung Laptop
    Casio camera

there was ms points and arcade games won tonight was there not?

i'd rather they just kept it at that and used them as prizes every night.

there was ms points and arcade games won tonight was there not?

i'd rather they just kept it at that and used them as prizes every night.
    They were just placeholders. Aceybongos confirmed they were just testing the prize system but no actual prizes were won.

They were just placeholders. Aceybongos confirmed they were just testing the prize system but no actual prizes were won.

oh okay if i'd of known that i wouldn't have played it in the first place. it's completely pointless otherwise. you don't even get achievements.

oh okay if i'd of known that i wouldn't have played it in the first place. it's completely pointless otherwise.
    Christ yes... God forbid we play for "fun"! :rolleyes:

Christ yes... God forbid we play for "fun"! :rolleyes:

how the **** is answering questions Uk-centred without actually getting anything to show for your efforts fun? absolutely shocking.

• Advertisement

how the **** is answering questions Uk-centred without actually getting anything to show for your efforts fun? absolutely shocking.
    Ah now.. to be fair, there was probably 8 - 10 UK-centric questions in the whole game.

And plenty of people here enjoyed it.

Ah now.. to be fair, there was probably 8 - 10 UK-centric questions in the whole game.

that's fantastic.

that's fantastic.
    K...? :confused:

That's not the point. If it were next week, which has prizes such as a Fiat 500 or Holiday vouchers, questions like "What does 69p of UK taxpayer's money go towards" would rule out Irish people who would otherwise be good at general knowledge and could've won a huge prize. It puts Irish people at a disadvantage.

Why do we have to make a compromise for UK-centric questions which "should be easy enough for Irish people to answer" when the UK peeps don't have to make the same compromise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Holiday Vouchers
    42" Samsung HDTVs
    Fiat 500s
    Samsung Laptop
    Casio camera

Not true..

Week 1 10th - 12th July 10th 11th July No prizes for skill or sweeps entries
    Week 2 13th – 19th July 17th 18th July Digital Camera
    Week 3 20th – 26th July 24th 25th July Samsung Q210 Laptop
    Week 4 27th July – 2nd August 31st 1st July / August Samsung Q210 Laptop
    Week 5 3rd – 9th August 7th 8th August Samsung 40” HD TV
    Week 6 10th – 16th August 14th 15th August Samsung 40” HD TV
    Week 7 17th – 23rd August 21st 22nd August Lastminute.com Holiday Voucher worth £1,500
    Week 8 24th – 30th August 28th 29th August CAR – Fiat 500 1.2 pop

Prizes are given out to the 1 who beats the mob that week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

oh okay if i'd of known that i wouldn't have played it in the first place. it's completely pointless otherwise. you don't even get achievements.

I did notice however that when you pressed start during the game there was an option that said achievements so maybe they'll be implemented at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

I enjoyed it overall of course, but only when I had a chance of knowing the answer.
    There's a difference between a general knowledge question and one about the british broadcast of the Eurovision or British current affairs.

rizzla wrote: »
    Not true..

Week 1 10th - 12th July 10th 11th July No prizes for skill or sweeps entries
    Week 2 13th – 19th July 17th 18th July Digital Camera
    Week 3 20th – 26th July 24th 25th July Samsung Q210 Laptop
    Week 4 27th July – 2nd August 31st 1st July / August Samsung Q210 Laptop
    Week 5 3rd – 9th August 7th 8th August Samsung 40” HD TV
    Week 6 10th – 16th August 14th 15th August Samsung 40” HD TV
    Week 7 17th – 23rd August 21st 22nd August Lastminute.com Holiday Voucher worth £1,500
    Week 8 24th – 30th August 28th 29th August CAR – Fiat 500 1.2 pop

Prizes are given out to the 1 who beats the mob that week.
    Woops! Sorry..was reading the website and those were the prizes it said for me!

That's not the point. If it were next week, which has prizes such as a Fiat 500 or Holiday vouchers, questions like "What does 69p of UK taxpayer's money go towards" would rule out Irish people who would otherwise be good at general knowledge and could've won a huge prize. It puts Irish people at a disadvantage.
    I'll be honest.. I didn't know it but I guessed it as it was one of those questions that you could rule out the two other answers.

That one was quite UK-centric but you can't call Big Brother / Eurovision question UK-centric as they're very well covered over here as well as in Britain.
    Why do we have to make a compromise for UK-centric questions which "should be easy enough for Irish people to answer" when the UK peeps don't have to make the same compromise?
    Because current affairs / events in Ireland aren't nearly as accessible for people in the UK. As I said before, we can't avoid but read newspapers / watch news stations focusing on British events.

The same can't be said for British newspapers / media who rarely focus on Ireland unless one of the Westlife lads knocked up another one of their partners.

It's sad but it's unfortunately true - and I don't understand why people are having a problem with this.

This is going wildly off-topic actually.. can we go back and focus on the actual game?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Enjoyed that quite a lot acutally! Missed out on the first 10 mins due to my ****ty net connection...

Didn't have any commentary from the presenter during the breaks which was quite annoying. Found the questions pretty fair, luckily I watch Sky News so that helped with some.

My main gripe was you couldn't choose an answer before it came up if you knew by elimination it was the 3rd one

Advertisement