Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hostelling International - is it worth it?

• 06-07-2009 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

Heading Inter-railing in August, starting off in Paris. Hostels and Hotels are pretty expensive there so I had a look at Hostelling International (HI). Obviously you have to be joined, the fee is 20. But in my 2 nights in Paris I would "recoup" 2/3 of that alone, and considering I'm traveling for 27 nights it seems good value.

Do you think its worth joining? Apart form the money, are HI hostels good in peoples experience? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

i have never herd of it. Might take a look at this though, looks like it will save a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

turgon wrote: »
    Do you think its worth joining? Apart form the money, are HI hostels good in peoples experience? :)

Argh! Don't do it! It is not worth it at all. In Europe anyway, you'll rarely find yourself in a position where there are only hostelling international hostels available, I've been hostelling in Europe a few times and I stayed in a HI twice. They are terrible hostels if you're a student looking for some like minded travellers and some craic. They usually have a bunch of secondary school students on school trips (both times I was in a HI) and the hostels themselves are kind of generic, not to mention they have more rules (curfew) etc and less character than the more independent ones you will encounter. Good luck!

Advertisement