Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web content filter

• 06-07-2009 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

What web content filter would you recommend?

We are a growing company and would like to get policy's right so that if we grow we will have a good structure in place.

I have been looking at barracuda etc but id like some recommendations from here.

Does the web filter have to be hardware.
    Cost does count - so the best for the least is what ill consider

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Poco90

Hi Abakan,
    I used Surfcontrol before which was software based. I found it OK, but it was an early version that I tried. It was kinda glitchy for me, so I decided to change to a hardware based unit.

For the last year I have being running St Bernards (www.stbernard.com) iPrism which I find very good. This is a hardware based unit . It can be used in proxy or bridged mode. I got the unit of a company in the UK called APPSPEED, www.appspeed.co.uk as they have no Irish reseller. What attracted me to them is they will give you a unit on a 30 day trial, so contact iPrism directly if you are interested. Hope this helps,
    Poco

P.S. if you are looking for a free way just to block sites, try open DNS www.opendns.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

thanks a mil,

I have seen iPrism yesterday alrite.
    Currnently I use Opendns but I need a solution that can be adjustable.
    Employees need to be able to surf the internet before work hours, lunch time and after hours.

Ill give iPrism a mail later on and see what they have to say

Ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

We use both WebMarshal and SurfControl.

I prefer Webmarshal, its simple & easy to use, it works and gives me very little work to do with it. I rarely make changes anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Might be worth reading this.

And this.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

Lifehacker put this up yesterday -

Five best content filtering tools

I haven't used any of these so can't comment on them but it's one place to look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Could be wrong and haven't implemented it but I know I'd be looking to integrate IPCop as it has feature required and/or Squid with OpenDNS

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johnmd

check out http://www.host-it.ie we do a hosted proxy solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

I'm not really sure if this would suit you.

The system uses smoothwall which is open source. From a quick scan of this article I have gathered that the basic smoothwall is free and then there are commercial Corporate Editions available at an unspecified price.

The system in the project above is quite minimal but could be scaled up to suit your needs..

Advertisement