Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a Graphics Card

Options
  • 06-07-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

My graphics card has been giving me trouble recently. I was wondering if anyone had any good links to help find a bargain graphics card.

Typically I would always just go to Komplett.ie but recently I've been a bit tighter for cash and want to make sure I get the best value.

I've found an NVidia GTX285 for €230

Komplett have the GTX285 for €300

My Budget would be around €250 - €300 and I would be looking to get the best possible card for that price.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

If you want a bargain, then the GTX285 is not worth the money.What is your monitor resolution?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Here. Not sure how much shipping will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Postage is 30 quid but the 285 is 275 quid.You'd get 2 4890's 1gig for that.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-120-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1403

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ninjaBob

If you want a bargain, then the GTX285 is not worth the money.What is your monitor resolution?

I do alot of development so I have around 5 different PC monitors (2 crt, 1 acer 19", 1 samsung 22", 1 LG 22") and 8 different TV's that I hook up during he course of testing.

I might want a bargain, but I don't want to revisit the topic of a graphics card early next year because I tried to save a few quid now, costing more in the long run.

I can't say I've looked much into the ATI cards, and I certainly havn't experience one myself since they had their own 9800... which was sometime ago. From what I've read a good few reviews and the HD4870 X2 for an extra 200euro doesn't warrant the additional 10frames per second over the GTX285 or even the HD4890

I suppose I should really ask does anyone recommend a graphics card and where did you get it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Are you actually doing anything that is graphically intensive apart from having alot of monitors connected? Because it would seem to me a 285 or HD4890 would be way overkill IMO. If not a 1GB HD4870 is much cheaper than either of the above and still a very good card that will not become outdated any time soon.

• Advertisement

Game Development, Max, Maya Rendering. Only have 1 monitor connected at a time but swap between them alot to ensure the colours look correct on the various devices.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

ninjaBob wrote: »
    Game Development, Max, Maya Rendering. Only have 1 monitor connected at a time but swap between them alot to ensure the colours look correct on the various devices.

Hmm I am a little out of my depth here so as to suggestions to what you might need. Don't mind me. I would hazzard a guess you would need something better than I suggested.

/Backs slowly away from thread :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

go with the 285, even a 275 would be grand for that sort of stuff, as long as you're not rendering on every monitor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Lots of screens eh? I smell a rare opportunity for my understated 4850x2 to shine!

285 should be perfect, plus it looks like a VHS.. which is always awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Gonzales24

good place to get a really good price is PIXMANIA.IE u have to watch every day and maybe u will catch a -20% or -30% the do it very often
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3136057/art/sparkle/geforce-gtx-285-1-gb-ddr3.html here u have a gtx285 1GB 319 to 279,- :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

Gonzales24 wrote: »
    good place to get a really good price is PIXMANIA.IE u have to watch every day and maybe u will catch a -20% or -30% the do it very often
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3136057/art/sparkle/geforce-gtx-285-1-gb-ddr3.html here u have a gtx285 1GB 319 to 279,- :)

The OP linked to a GTX285 for €230

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Gonzales24

yea try to buy the card, "notify me". its a too amasing prise to be true, i checked the rest of elera.ie, there far mor expensive then komplett.ie or pixmania.ie... so good luck with the card.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

yea try to buy the card, "notify me". its a too amasing prise to be true, i checked the rest of elera.ie, there far mor expensive then komplett.ie or pixmania.ie... so good luck with the card.. :D

It says it should be in stock in 2 weeks. It does seem to be quite a good price, but I'm going to reserve judgement until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Komplett.ie best place to buy pc components.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Elara (and sometimes HWVS but to a far lesser degree) puts incoming or outgoing stock with no units for sale at ridiculously low prices. The same item often ends up on sale with a diifferent SKU and a far higher price while people just sit there waiting for the misleading placeholder SKU to turn up... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Solitaire wrote: »
    Elara (and sometimes HWVS but to a far lesser degree) puts incoming or outgoing stock with no units for sale at ridiculously low prices. The same item often ends up on sale with a diifferent SKU and a far higher price while people just sit there waiting for the misleading placeholder SKU to turn up... :rolleyes:

If you have proof of this could you bring it up on the Elara board ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1106 )
    It would be interesting to see their reaction to such claims.

tuxy, do you work for Elara by any chance? Because the day after I post that comment 60% of Elara (i.e. all the duff SKUs!) just vanished without trace... ;)

I don't mind suddenly being unable to prove my claim as by extension that means someone's finally gone and actually dealt with the problem (which has been getting steadily worse over the course of three years now!). No bother as it certainly wasn't malicious in any way, just messy and confusing for potential buyers. Now its all been cleaned up Elara is lookin' lean and mean again :D

Well that graphics card vanish from Elara....

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

ninjaBob wrote: »

hmm! So when you say "development" you mean you're an artist. Or are you both and just dabbling? If your making a foray into the industry it's different GPUs you need to test on not different monitors. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭gimme5minutes

Only problem with pixmania is the box will probably be empty when it arrives or else it might already have been opened....check consumer issues forum here before you buy anything from pixmania.

• Advertisement

Got a HD4830 from Pix for Chrimbo (a gift from me to me! :D). Not a problem.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Only problem with pixmania is the box will probably be empty when it arrives or else it might already have been opened....check consumer issues forum here before you buy anything from pixmania.

never had any problems with pixmana. the returns desk is crap though, so be sure what you're buying :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I usually end up going with ebuyer.com. They're usually slight cheaper than komplett and lately have been teleporting stuff to me. I bought a 26" monitor and a satnav and was shocked to see it arrive the next day (from the UK) before lunch time. Delivery usually took 3-5 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Solitaire wrote: »

In response to your accusations, we do not have the time to be playing these games with our customers. The prices are based on our buy prices and the stock availability is what gets given to us. If a product is going EOL and the manufacturer had the last few at a low price then it will stay showing that low price while they have been sold out till they remove the SKU from being current on the price file.

There is no misleading or trickery here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

There is no misleading or trickery here...

AGAIN, I don't like the look of that dot dot dot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

AGAIN, I don't like the look of that dot dot dot...

There, edited for you. :confused:

Advertisement