Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling a car on the B&S, Is it a joke?

• 06-07-2009 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Put my car for sale on their site last month, paid 23 euro via credit card, everything seems ok.

This morning I went to the site and searched - I got NOTHING for sale on the site:eek::mad:

phoned them 1st time - 08 that number, they gave me their online support number to call. 1560? never heard about this kind of number before. so called, took 3 mins (cost 5 euro something just for this 3 months call). the lad there was helpful and sorted this problem quickly. told me its a delay he already fixed it. 2 calls together cost 8 euro to fix their own mistake.:mad: anyway, I shoule be able to see it printed this weekend, thats what I was told. but I think I just wont use the buyandsell again. very stupid web design with lots mistakes and errors.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I used b&S but didnt pay for it, got 1 response. I put the car on donedeal.ie and sold it the same day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

It's unbelievably bad, isn't it? I'd no idea they were charging so much for an ad. Who do they think they are, Carzone? :D
    Especially when there are so many other places doing a better job for less (adverts/donedeal/cbg), I presume you've placed ads there as well? I've also heard that the brokenandstolen are in financial hot water at the moment. But that's complete hearsay...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

i used to regularly browse the buyandsell website before it go all colorful and full of crappy adds - haven't looked at it since or put any sort of add on it. I think adverts.ie is 1000 times better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

B+S are either bust or very near to it.
    I saw an article in the SBP yesterday that detailed what the problems were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

They racked up 18million euro of debt and can't pay it off. Turn over of about 7million euro per anum and 500k website visitors each month.

They appointed an examiner to restructure the debt last month.

AFAIK the new owner bought the company back in 2007 and need a loan from NIB or AIB for over 20million euro for it.

I'd say the majority of the people that see their advertisements are the older generations. The buy and sell is a household name for selling stuff. But for cars, I'd stick with gumtree.ie, carzone.ie and donedeal.ie (adverts.ie too! ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

The B&S website is almost impossible to use. The search function is a joke. No wonder they're in trouble if they actually paid some web developer to make it 100 times worse. The old site was grand.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Buffman wrote: »
    The old site was grand.

The website they had about 5 years ago wasn't too far off the current donedeal one, except with no pictures. How they got to the mess they currrently have is anyones guess.

... interesting... 18.3m in debt!
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/0627/1224249651766.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

maidhc wrote: »
    The website they had about 5 years ago wasn't too far off the current donedeal one, except with no pictures. How they got to the mess they currrently have is anyones guess.

... interesting... 18.3m in debt!
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/0627/1224249651766.html

Interesting read that! Up before the courts tomorrow then? Looks like they could be going under...........

I would say it's Done Deal that killed them!

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Interesting read that! Up before the courts tomorrow then? Looks like they could be going under...........

I would say it's Done Deal that killed them!

More the typical case of people buying a company and mortgaging the company to the hilt to pay for it. Then of course the company never took advantage of the internet, especially with some of their awful websites of recent years.

In Cork most people seem to use the Echo Free ads rather than donedeal of the B&S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Just put my car up on donedeal.ie.. I was too lazy to get up and get my credit card so the phone payment for €3 was really handy, I had a load of credit because I'm a meteor customer. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

funkyflea wrote: »
    Just put my car up on donedeal.ie.. I was too lazy to get up and get my credit card so the phone payment for €3 was really handy, I had a load of credit because I'm a meteor customer. :P

I would be interested to know what sort of response people get from B&S and Done Deal for cars priced over say, €10k. I always considered both as bargain basement sorta stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 FocusIreland

dont even think I ll use B&S again, finally saw my ads on their site with NO pic (but I paid for!) and even a WRONG car model and also few details are totally wrong! who fecken changed my ads????? - and I couldnt delet it!!
    cant say anything now. junk site. worth nothing.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I would be interested to know what sort of response people get from B&S and Done Deal for cars priced over say, €10k. I always considered both as bargain basement sorta stuff?

Does anything other than bargain basement stuff sell on the small ads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

funkyflea wrote: »

Well my car is over 10k, I'm just putting it up everywhere though. I'll post if anything stirs from donedeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

B&S was fine in the 80ies.90ies when they had the SH monopoly in Ireland, but today is away out of touch. It is an overpriced farmers rag for those that cant use the internet, the print ridiculously small. I Haven't looked at the paper in years and I don't think anyone buys it anymore. As for the on line version. :rolleyes:

Advertisement