Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

question for all the mechanics out there?

• 06-07-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

just brought my 2001 opel agila for a pre nct check to see what the story was and i was informed i need the following:

2 rear shocks
    Front Left Ball joint & track Rod end
    Drivers Track Rod Inner End
    Adjust Rear Shoes
    Tyres & Tracking
    Brake & Number Plate Bulbs
    a Service

i know nothing about cars and this is my first one! have only had it 3 weeks and it was a hand me down from the mother. it just seems like an awful lot for a 2001 car :eek:

has anyone any idea how much this should set me back ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 FocusIreland

get the bulb fixed, then do NOTHING until NCT done. whatever they failed you for, you just repair that parts. dont touch anything else before the NCT. its only 22 euro for a re-test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

get the bulb fixed, then do NOTHING until NCT done. whatever they failed you for, you just repair that parts. dont touch anything else before the NCT. its only 22 euro for a re-test.

+1. There's around 700 Euro's plus worth of work there OP. Change the brake and number plate bulbs, send it in as it is and keep your mechanic honest, and come back and tell us how you get on. If the work needs to be done, then it needs to be done, you'll be no worse off at the end of the day. Also I'm a bit curious as to why you were told you need "a service" to get a car through the NCT??? A service, apart from changing components that are not checked during the NCT process, will only identify problems that have already been identified, so why would you need a service to get the car through the NCT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

+2
    Unfortunately there are some outfits out there too ready to make a quick buck and blame it on the fact you need an nct.
    Def do the bulbs and bring it in to see how it goes, some mechanics apply their own interpretations of the regulations and try replace anything they can in the current climate, give all the honest joe's out there a bad name, and there are more good than bad imo.
    If it does fail then get as much information as you can to bring to your garage, if its something handy you may be able to do it yourself.
    But dont get sucked into trap of spending hundreds before the test in the hope that it'll pass. Better off putting it through first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Why do people pay more for a "Pre-NCT" than the NCT itself will cost?

They can't guarantee a pass; just address the glaringly obvious (lamps, tyres, fluids) and fix anything it should fail on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Was told the same thing by a mechanic friend, just fix the very obvious fails and put it through, cos it's the cheapest diagnosis you'll get anywhere and tells you exactly what you need to know/ fix. With many garages looking for work, it stands to reason that many (though not all) will find plenty wrong with your car that needs to be sorted, in their opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement