Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Features you would like to see more of

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Fnz wrote: »
    I'd like more control over cut scenes, to pause if necessary, and have them saved so that I can watch them again at my leisure. It's annoying if I accidental press a button and skip the scene.

+1 It should be standard for cutscenes to include both a pause feature and a skip feature. DOW2 was a recent one for this, every mission concluded with a 1/2min chat (not an fmv but basically the same thing) that was unskipable. doesnt sound so bad, but it fecked me right off as I found the story boring but the gameplay fun
    rizzla wrote: »
    I love intergrated HUD's similar to Dead Space and Ghostbusters, where it's actually present in the game world, really adds to immersion.
    +1, great feature. Obviously it would be difficult for some games to implement. OPF:dragon rising will have something similar, where squad members will only carry what you see. That said they are also implementing the standard fps hud into the game :(

A feature I want to see come as standard for FPS is the killcam. COD4 multiplayer did this perfectly. Where you get killed and the game immediately plays back who killed you, from where and how. Im not one to scream "OMG HAXX!" in a game, but there are times when you get killed and leave you wondering "How the f***? did that happen", planting the seeds of paranoia. Killcam removed (most) hacking accusations which are also a great pain in the ass if your on the receiving end. Some may argue that the feature gives away a position, but the only reason you wouldn't want your position given away is if your camping/pussy sniper.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Redlion wrote: »
    another feature i'd like to see more of is: dropping in and out of a friend's single player game, like the feature that was used in fable 2 and mercs 2. adds a good co-op element and both players gain from the completion of missions/quests. Plus, who doesnt like co-op? ;)
    http://kotaku.com/5318881/microsoft-patents-drop+in-co+op-in-shooters

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Not sure if this counts because I haven't seen it done properly at all yet

In sports games, forget about commentary, replaced with what the team members and referees would be shouting at each other. It's supposed to simulate playing the game, not watching it on telly!

EA Rugby did this a little, but the comments from the players and referee were just random and fairly poor...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Fnz wrote: »
    QTEs during cut scenes can p1ss right off. Hated it in Resi 4 when a boulder chases you down a narrow path. Hated its pointless inclusion (as an entire, short, level) in the later stages of Fahrenheit.

I don't enjoy being on edge during times I've grown accustomed to relaxing and enjoying the video/story.

I actually really liked how RE4 incorporated them into the cut scenes, it did so very well, like the knife fight. Parts like the boulder rolling after you aren't counted as cut scenes, they simply use the QTE mechanic to show a more cinematic angle because you don't have to worry about the other controls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

360 games with properly integrated custom soundtracks...
    If a game has a button that allows you to skip to the next audio track, surely it can't be that hard for them to make this button function when you're playing your own music???

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

tman wrote: »
    360 games with properly integrated custom soundtracks...
    If a game has a button that allows you to skip to the next audio track, surely it can't be that hard for them to make this button function when you're playing your own music???
    licensing. stupid, stupid licensing issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I actually really liked how RE4 incorporated them into the cut scenes, it did so very well, like the knife fight. Parts like the boulder rolling after you aren't counted as cut scenes, they simply use the QTE mechanic to show a more cinematic angle because you don't have to worry about the other controls.

I admit I was late to the game on RE4 and got entirely fed up with it shortly after that 'boulder-rolling' cut scene so didn't stick around to experience many others in the game. In that instance, I didn't feel adequately warned that that something would be required of me during the scene and so failed it the first time. Even when I was prepared, the 2nd, 3rd.... 5th time, I still managed to screw up that QTE. When I did manage to get it right, I found it wasn't satisfying in the least and really added nothing to the gaming experience.

I think QTEs in God of War are handled in a more satisfying manner, with forewarning that a QTE was about to be initiated. The cinematic moments didn't feel obstructed by QTEs. Fahrenheit was particularly bad in this regard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

One thing I would like to see less of - "DLC" offers before a game is even released.

Yes, I am looking at you Empire Total War. Having to pay for a few additional units prior to a games release is silly. Why cant they just be bundled with the gold version of the game?

Advertisement