Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i increase amount of ammo im allowed on licence

Options
  • 06-07-2009 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

How do i increase amount of ammo im allowed on licence currently only alloowed 200 rounds for rifle and shotgun and i do a lot of clay shooting and target shooting an i go through that much in one day its a real inconvenience having to go back for more ammo so much and its cheaper to buy in bulk and how do i go about getting authoriseation for a moderator

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

In both cases you just go in and ask your super, who'll amend your licence or draft the letter for the moderator.
    In both cases, you'll have to make your case to him though, its not granted automatically.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Not contradicting you sparks what you said is correct, but i must be the luckiest sob around. Went to my FO a few years back and got shotgun and .22 raised from 100 to 1000. Stamped and changed there and then. each year since my new licences have had the new amount on them. For the handgun i simply got a European firearms licence. Automatic 500 round limit. Didn't bother with the 6.5x55 or 308 as who would shoot more than 100 rounds at a time from either of them.

I suppose its like everything else, how well you are known by your local FO, a valid reason for the increase and more importantly a super/FO with some common sense. They are out there.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

I wish you luck. I got a no to increase for ammo on .22 and shotgun. And a big no way on the moderator for the .22.

But that said I know people who have got both done. But I don't know anyone from my area who has got them.

Its going to be down to your Super and FO what they will do.

All i can tell you lads is to apply for a European Firearms Licence. I have one. Its free and comes with 500 rounds on it straight away. You have to renew each year but a small price for a free and no hassle increase in your ammo limit.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

ezridax wrote: »
    All i can tell you lads is to apply for a European Firearms Licence. I have one. Its free and comes with 500 rounds on it straight away. You have to renew each year but a small price for a free and no hassle increase in your ammo limit.

Any chance you could take a photo of your EFP (blank out your personal details and serial numbers if you want) and post it here? I don't know where Gardai are writing in the ammo limit.

There's no space for an ammo limit on mine and none written on it. I've heard the limit of 500 being talked about a lot but I've no idea what the deal is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

IRLConor wrote: »
    Any chance you could take a photo of your EFP (blank out your personal details and serial numbers if you want) and post it here? I don't know where Gardai are writing in the ammo limit.

There's no space for an ammo limit on mine and none written on it. I've heard the limit of 500 being talked about a lot but I've no idea what the deal is.

I've never seen any documentation of it either. Mine has a limit written in the notes section at the far right, with 500, simply because that's what was on my licence at the time. Yet another thing to get amended...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

My air rifle licence says 100 rounds :confused::D but nobodies gona split a tin of pellets for me:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I got a peek at the draft licensing guidelines a while back (think they've been changed a lot since then so this may no longer hold true) and they recommended upper limits of 6000 to 7000 rounds for persons involved in target shooting. How much would 7000 shotgun cartridges weigh and would my upstairs floors support them?;)

Does anyone know if the new application form we'll all have to use to reapply for our licenses have a section for requesting ammo allowences?

When i got my EFP my FO wrote 500 rounds on it without me asking. I asked about the amount and he told me 500 was the preset amount they always put on EFPs. He also told me that they do not print amounts on them as they vary from person to person (as in a .22 shooter would need alot more than say 6.5x5 or 7mm shooter). I don't know if other stations have different standards but i have to say i'm lucky that i have never had any problem with any aspect of firearm licencing, amending, changing, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

what is a EFP how is it different to a normal licence

• Advertisement

E.F.P. - European Firearms Pass. Basically its a passport for your firearms. If you want to go abroad or as alot of lads do, go to Bisley for international shooting contests, this little document has a list of all your firearms, their serial numbers, makes, models, and ammo quantity all of which has been signed and stamped by your FO/Super. It lets other officals (airport security, etc) know that the firearms are yours and that the Gardai are aware you travel abroad with them ( in conjunction with your standard Irish licences)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

my licence says "subject to conditions NONE listed below "
    Does this overrule conditionC restricting the quantity of ammunition that i can carry/possess at any one time

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

4gun wrote: »
    my licence says "subject to conditions NONE listed below "
    Does this overrule conditionC restricting the quantity of ammunition that i can carry/possess at any one time

No, the cert is just really badly formatted.

Condition C is the bit that says "The firearm may be used by the holder only for killing animals or birds other than protected wild animals or protected wild birds within the meaning of the Wildlife Act, 1976 and 2000 on lands at <land restriction goes here>"

The bit that contains the ammo limit is not part of condition C.

Advertisement