Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new website!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

The goggles, they do nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Its a nice site but the 'about us' page is a bit un-professional
    Your picture is blurry and the flash is in the wrong place on both photos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

To an every day use it's nice

To a professional it's sub par.

# Try to get better photographer/artist head shots done.
    # Reduce the size of the header banner in your template it looks oversized and takes away from the overall style

The about us page is nice but dose come across as "this is our collage project"

al in all not bad but needs work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

good attempt but reduce the head banner size and the menu buttons could be smaller. Also, news sections will be outdated soon enough if you don't keep them up and most people to your site don't care about updates I presume. About us: Keep it short and sweet and smaller pics, maybe with a camera or whilst doing your work. Overall, good attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Whoa! Yeah, the banner and menu buttons need to be way smaller. Have you looked at it in 1024 x 768? You have to scroll to get to the photos...

If I were you I'd have the art and photos linked images side by side rather than vertically aligned. You can stick the news at the end of the page - people who are interested will look. Or put it on the side of your about us page maybe.

Your photos definitely need to be re-done. You're touting yourself as a photog, and you have blurry images? Hmmm.. ;) I'd edit the bio down too - people don't really read on the web and parsing all those paragraphs will put people off reading any of it.

I like favicons on pages. And you have no alt text on your images. Google likes alt text.

Not bad though :) Sorry to sound so negative..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

sineadw wrote: »
    Your photos definitely need to be re-done. You're touting yourself as a photog, and you have blurry images? Hmmm.. ;)

This reminds me of that thing about picking a barber in a town with only two barbers. You'd obviously go to the guy with the worst haircut :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

It really depends on the aim of your site as to whether much of the content is suitable, if it is a school website then it's a great effort but if you want to take it further than that and really promote your work (for sales/recognition etc) then it needs some more careful consideration!

IMO everything takes way too long to load, reduce file sizes for all your pics ( my browser crashed 3 times and I have lightning fast broadband.)
    As has been said above, if it's photography you're promoting make sure you have top quality shots. Blurry badly lit portraits take away from your better work!

Good luck with it!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

its a good effort, fair play.
    i think the photography is really good, but i wouldnt know as much as the people on this site as i don't have any experience in the field. i personally preferred the black and white pictures as i found the colour ones a bit too sharp (not the right word im looking for, maybe someone will be able to tell you what i mean:o)
    you said on the site that you'd like to do it professionally so you're obviously not gonna get professional looking shots yet, just keep it up and you'll get better.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Definitley reduce the header and menu size. It's way too big and appears to be SHOUTING at you.
    Your contact page is very basic and doesn't have a physical location.
    Your About us page is poor. The pics are blurred and look like mug shots. Sorry, but thats the way it looks.
    Scotty, a little bit more about your qualifications (if any) and a bit less about your girlfriend. Maybe even a list of your equipment would help?

The overall design is not bad, but after going through it, what is it for? Are you selling your pictures? Are you selling your services as a photographer? It's just not clear from the site.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Fenster wrote: »

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

This reminds me of that thing about picking a barber in a town with only two barbers. You'd obviously go to the guy with the worst haircut :)

Hmmm...Why?
    They cut each others hair?

As said reduce the banner, its too much in my face.
    Also
    Most of her inspiration comes from �

That needs to be corrected. Looks like the text doesn't do these ":'; or something.

Fenster wrote: »

I wouldn't be too concerned with the googles yet.
    It's too new a site to make any impression. Mind you, it does need a bit of SEO, but it would still be a few months away from even coming lose to page 1.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the googles yet.
    It's too new a site to make any impression. Mind you, it does need a bit of SEO, but it would still be a few months away from even coming lose to page 1.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The%20goggles!%20They%20do%20nothing!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Wow.

While the general design / colour isn't bad, it does remind me of one of those telephones with the REALLY big buttons!!!

Your headshots are terrible - they need to be just a bust shot (head & shoulders) and re-touched, and taken IN FOCUS.

They appear to be taken at a weird angle too, and not lit properly at all.

To be honest, if I found your site, (looking for a photographer), I'd have left after the first page.

You also need a little bio on the main page - telling people what the site is about, it just looks like somebody's personal site or something, not for any commercial purpose.

The photography page is just wasted space. Why not have your images arranged in a grid rather than having a single line of pics run down for miles?? Secondly, the thumbnails are nearly as big as the full 'ahem' size pics too (which are of dreadful quality, really low res).

Sorry if I seemed a little harsh, but the way the site currently is, noone would bother looking through it if they stumbled upon it.

I could go on, but in fear of coming across like a total ar$e I wont. You have a good basis for a decent site, it just needs a designers touch.

sineadw wrote: »

:o:o goggles....googles .... all look the same to a poor old blind man :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AngryDutchman

Have you ever considered obtaining a book on webdesign?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

:o:o goggles....googles .... all look the same to a poor old blind man :D

Well the site in the first post should be easy to read for you!

@op - after looking at your site again:

A general rule of thumb that I (surprisingly) see a lot of photographers and artists fall down on is to treat a website like a document. In general when you're talking about a portfolio site that's the VERY last thing you want it to look like. Yours still looks a bit that way. What I'd suggest is that you load it up in 1024 x 768 and then treat it exactly the same way you would a photograph of that size. Think about the rule of thirds, balancing the different elements of the composition, what way the text will look when viewed as solid blocks (that's what our eye sees first), the colours and the tones - exactly the way you (presumably) do when you're taking and processing your shots. Look in different browsers too. Once you have that down you can start working on the finer detail. A lot of the time though when you get the basic design elements right the site will fall into place almost by itself (barring SEO and the techie bits of course).

Oh and *please please please* lose the drop shadow in your banner...

If you want, I'm a bit free next week if you want a hand with it :)

Advertisement