Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

irish have no acf for kids?

• 06-07-2009 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I am just woundering why is there no army cedets for kids. The British army have army cedets for kids a lot of my friends say the same thing becouse i wound join . canada has it austraillahas it why dont we have it just have a look at the <SNIP>

***Sorry I had to edit your post, it would be seen as an attempt at recruitment by some here*** - Makikomi.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

combat5 wrote: »
    I am just woundering why is there no army cedets for kids. The British army have army cedets for kids a lot of my friends say the same thing becouse i wound join . canada has it austraillahas it why dont we have it just have a look at the <SNIP>

***Sorry I had to edit your post, it would be seen as an attempt at recruitment by some here*** - Makikomi.

Buddy, at the moment we don't even have cadets for adults!.

As for why we don't, honest I've no idea and tbh I don't see a benefit in having one!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Well we used to have the FCA. I think I was only member of my recruit platoon who joined after I was 17. I was actually nearly 18. Most of the rest were 16. At least one was 14. On camp once, I met a particularly young looking individual once who looked about 13. I confronted him and told him 'No way he was 17 more like 15'. His reply was: 'Yet but I'll be 16 in September'.:D

It was hilarious when we had to call out our dates of births for some reason. The NCO always had to sternly remind us it was our 'army age' not the real one. Later in service aged 23, I was practically the old man of the unit and always got funny looks when I told the kids my age.

In fact underage enlistment was so prevalent and tolerated that Amnesty International gave Ireland a black mark for having child soldiers.:rolleyes:

But irony of ironies when I first went to enlist in the FCA. I was turned away aged 16. But maybe the 11th Field signals had a higher standard of recruitment.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Well we used to have the FCA. I think I was only member of my recruit platoon who joined after I was 17. I was actually nearly 18. Most of the rest were 16. At least one was 14. On camp once, I met a particularly young looking individual once who looked about 13. I confronted him and told him 'No way he was 17 more like 15'. His reply was: 'Yet but I'll be 16 in September'.:D

It was hilarious when we had to call out our dates of births for some reason. The NCO always had to sternly remind us it was our 'army age' not the real one. Later in service aged 23, I was practically the old man of the unit and always got funny looks when I told the kids my age.

In fact underage enlistment was so prevalent and tolerated that Amnesty International gave Ireland a black mark for having child soldiers.:rolleyes:

But irony of ironies when I first went to enlist in the FCA. I was turned away aged 16. But maybe the 11th Field signals had a higher standard of recruitment.:eek:

The good old FCA, the best drinking club in Ireland !!! Some of my best days were spent up in Fort Dunree, Co. Donegal - and I'm not talking about the military training either !!! The crack was unbeatable. But anyway, I think Napoleon's statement when he seen his foreign conscripts before a battle could apply to the FCA " I don't know who should be more afraid, me or the enemy " :D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭combat5

Buddy, at the moment we don't even have cadets for adults!.

As for why we don't, honest I've no idea and tbh I don't see a benefit in having one!.

we do have an army cedets see http://www.military.ie/careers/officer/army/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

combat5 wrote: »

ok number one, you might want to learn to spell CADETS if you're going discuss them. Secondly, I believe he is referring to the current recruitment freeze which means there are no more cadets atm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

We have scouts, thats a healthy outdoor avenue similar to the cadet system in the UK, but with a greater emphasis on being a good citizen.

We are not the UK or Commonwealth, we do not need or want to militarise children. Its also an uneccessary expense.

I do think there should be a re-establishment of an OTC at third level.
    Establish links between the RDF and Unis/IT's/RTC's etc.
    After attaining a qualification, then the former student can choose to be transferred to where they will live/work.

Its a way to expand and maybe improve the RDF long term.
    Ringaskidy college could work with 2 coy Slua Muiri for example.
    DIT, computing and elecronic skills.
    Etc etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Craigsy wrote: »
    ok number one, you might want to learn to spell CADETS if you're going discuss them.

Tut tut, there's no need for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    We have scouts, thats a healthy outdoor avenue similar to the cadet system in the UK, but with a greater emphasis on being a good citizen.

We are not the UK or Commonwealth, we do not need or want to militarise children. Its also an uneccessary expense.

I do think there should be a re-establishment of an OTC at third level.
    Establish links between the RDF and Unis/IT's/RTC's etc.
    After attaining a qualification, then the former student can choose to be transferred to where they will live/work.

Its a way to expand and maybe improve the RDF long term.
    Ringaskidy college could work with 2 coy Slua Muiri for example.
    DIT, computing and elecronic skills.
    Etc etc etc.

We have a number of youth organisations that offer outdoor activities for young people that take them to mountains and wild places. Scouting and Guiding (although how outdoorsy they are varies alot) are the two main youth organisations that provide this - the biggest orgs on this Island include Scouting Ireland (all Island), the Northern Ireland Scout Council (Part of UK Scout Assocation), the Irish Girl Guides(ROI), Catholic Guides of Ireland (All Island) and the Ulster Girl Guides (Part of Guiding UK). Its also worth getting young people involved in Gaisce, the Presidents Award, or the Duke of Edinburghs Award. Three weeks after turning 16 I was turfed off a bus at an undisclosed location in a country in Eastern Europe, with a map, a set of projects that had to be completed, a budget of about €30 and instructions that I and my partner must show up at a grid reference in 10 days time having covered a minimum of 200km with an extensively written log book covering all activies in the 10 day period and accounting for all moneys spent. This was with the scouts. I doubt the cadets in the UK get up to anything like that.

All of those I have listed are excellent at getting young people to discover their own talents, their own leadership qualities, to take a stand on issues they believe in and foster belief in a young persons own capabilities and to improve themselves and the world in which they live in, hopefully doing their bit to leave it better than they found it.

There's lots of volunteers in youth organisations out there that always need help - I don't feel we need cadets to garner an interest in the DF as there has always been more applicants than places. In a related footnote the DF runs a survival course for a small number of silver level gaisce participants most years.

Advertisement