Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5/6-a-side in DCU

• 06-07-2009 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

Mods: I know there's a thread in the boards team forum, but I don't think it gets the footfall for people to be able to join up. If there's a problem with having this here, my apologies.

Right lads, just throwing this out there but is there any interest in a regular 6-a-side game(s) in DCU? I can get 3-4 others from outside boards if we don't get the numbers but ideally would like to get 10/11 others from here that would commit to playing on a regular basis.

I can book the pitch, and would be looking to do so on a rolling basis probably something like 8-10 weeks at a time. I think it's something we could keep going all throughout the year, and I'm open to booking two slots so that we can either increase the numbers or the activity.

I'm proposing the first slot is a Monday at 7.30pm. The plan is simple, post here if you're interested first come first served and all that. Once numbers are confirmed I'll need money from all those that said they were interested as we'll have to pay for the pitch up-front.

If interest is big enough then I can look at booking a second slot, maybe Saturday 11am or something? Would mean a nice slot for the winter with players getting home for the early game on Sky or having the day to themselves.

tl:dr
    If you fancy a regular 6-a-side in DCU on a Monday evening at 7.30 and are willing to pay up front throw your name in the thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm up for it but I'm going away for five weeks in two weeks' time. When do you plan on starting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm interested. Question on standard: I haven't played in a while, since last October actually. I'd be about average but my touch has deserted me somewhat recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'm interested. Question on standard: I haven't played in a while, since last October actually. I'd be about average but my touch has deserted me somewhat recently.

It's five-a-side.

You don't need to be Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'm intersted.
    More messy than messi.

I understand Des' point however now DirkVoodoo has made me feel vastly underqualified!
    I've barely played football since I was a youth kicking a ball about on the street with my friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Hmm... a soccer forum, 128 views and only 3 people stepping forward.

Bad night? Bad location?

In case people are worried, we ain't going to be the Harlem Globe Trotters of the 6-a-side world. I'm just looking for a regular game to help with fitness and get out of the house for a couple of hours.

Hopefully we'll get more interest over the next couple of days, ideally looking to start next week if we get enough numbers in time to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dude, only twelve people came to the first Boardeaux meeting three years ago in the Phoenix.

Those who post here either

a. already play
    b. don't live in Dublin
    c. only have interest in sitting on their holes yakking about football, instead of actually getting involved.

Hopefully this post gets a few more people up off their arses.

Then, expect, at the very least, a 50% drop out rate of the people who say they will play.

From the three who've already said they'll play, I'd say you've one definite, and one who'll turn up if they feel like it.

Trust me on this, I've been through it before.

Des wrote: »
    Dude, only twelve people came to the first Boardeaux meeting three years ago in the Phoenix.

Those who post here either

a. already play
    b. don't live in Dublin
    c. only have interest in sitting on their holes yakking about football, instead of actually getting involved.

Hopefully this post gets a few more people up off their arses.

Then, expect, at the very least, a 50% drop out rate of the people who say they will play.

From the three who've already said they'll play, I'd say you've one definite, and one who'll turn up if they feel like it.

Trust me on this, I've been through it before.

Appreciate the post mate, I've been that soldier myself in the past. Thought a casual 6-a-side game might get more interest than having to commit to a team and a competition.

Me, I'd happily play 7 days a week given the chance, and up until 4 years ago that's exactly what I did. Now I'm trying to get some fitness back, and thought there would be others in the same position or who just fancied a non-competitive runaround on the bright summer evenings.

We'll see how the week goes, maybe we'll get enough if we give it a few days. cheers again for the support!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Gary

We normally play astro in Tallaght on Monday nights but are struggling at the minute with numbers, due to summer hols.

If I could organise it, would you be interested in a 5/6 a side game against us (in DCU) next Monday?

It could be a good way to get your own game off the ground.

Course, I have to check with the lads here also, but I thought I'd run it by you first.

Neil

Edit to say if you prefer to play Southside thats fine too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

I was a keeper of a reasonable standard once upon a time if you need one of those?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I would play the odd week,I could not commit to it every week.

• Advertisement

careca wrote: »
    Gary

We normally play astro in Tallaght on Monday nights but are struggling at the minute with numbers, due to summer hols.

If I could organise it, would you be interested in a 5/6 a side game against us (in DCU) next Monday?

It could be a good way to get your own game off the ground.

Course, I have to check with the lads here also, but I thought I'd run it by you first.

Neil

Edit to say if you prefer to play Southside thats fine too.

Cheers Neil, I don't think I'll have trouble fielding a side the only question is whether they'll be from here or just lads I know.

So if 5 people want to come forward for a game next Monday evening let me know. I'll give first preference to players from here, but if I don't have 5 by tomorrow lunchtime I'll arrange it with guys in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Great. Just let me know the time and I'll bring 6 out from here.

Sort out any cash on the night.

Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Iago wrote: »
    Hmm... a soccer forum, 128 views and only 3 people stepping forward.

Bad night? Bad location?.

Everybody's watching MNS...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

They should be it's a great show!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

id be up for it allright play gaa and only train one night a week and need something to keep me fit only so much u can do in gym. how long will it be going on for either sat or monday suits me,. is it astro or grass pitchs in dcu never been up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

I'd be up for it too but DCU is a bit too far for me. I'm closer to a one legged Djimi Traore than I'd like but I'd be interested as a way to get fit and off my backside.

Advertisement