Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy and sell selling dogs

Options
  • 06-07-2009 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭

My friend bought his 1st dog on buy and sell for 200 euro and the poor thing was skinny and terrified of everyone and also a mongrel, nothing wrong with mongrels but this dog could easily be picked up for free in the pound.

its still scared of anyone but him after a few weeks and was definetly badly abused, i think the seller was selling from westmeath-not sure though as my mate did not want to go too much into it as he knew i'd go mad about it, please warn people off buying off buy and sell as this is what happens.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

cowzerp wrote: »
    My friend bought his 1st dog on buy and sell for 200 euro and the poor thing was skinny and terrified of everyone and also a mongrel, nothing wrong with mongrels but this dog could easily be picked up for free in the pound.

its still scared of anyone but him after a few weeks and was definetly badly abused, i think the seller was selling from westmeath-not sure though as my mate did not want to go too much into it as he knew i'd go mad about it, please warn people off buying off buy and sell as this is what happens.
    Some people just dont care enough to do their research though. Like your friend, had he researched at all, would have realised that dogs such as this are crying out for homes in pounds, and if he still would prefer to buy, then a proper breeder would be better supported than a farmer.

I know someone who got 5 WEEK old JRT. I was shocked when I heard. When I mentioned that it will need special treatment/food etc, I was met with the response "sure xxxx was that age when we bought her and there is nothing wrong with her" - NOTHING WRONG? The dog has bowed legs and cannot loose weight. If she had done any research at all she would have known that all she has done is supported a bad breeder and bought a pup which was way too young to be homed without good reason.

It makes my blood boil to see such levels of nonchalance when it comes to a life. I mean, if you're buying anything else you look into it, make sure you're buying the right thing for you, that the money is average to what is charged elsewhere, that the seller is legit etc, yet with pets people just go off and buy them without looking into things at all, supporting bad practise and unhealthy dogs. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Some people just dont care enough to do their research though. Like your friend, had he researched at all, would have realised that dogs such as this are crying out for homes in pounds, and if he still would prefer to buy, then a proper breeder would be better supported than a farmer.

I agree and told him as much-as i said it was his 1st dog and he made a mistake, i put up this thread so other people would not make the same mistake and line the scumbags pockets as thats what will keep him in this business.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You can't tar all people who sell on buy&sell with that brush.
    I got my b*tch Lily off buy&sell, she may not have been played with as a pup (because she didn't know how) but she's a great dog, she had no health problems or anything.
    I got my pup Daisy off donedeal.ie and she's perfect too.

SOME people sell dogs in an awful state, or don't care and sell pups off early.

It's the buyer who needs to be vigilant and do research.
    I rang the owners a few times about both my dogs and requested pictures and information and had to see them in person before taking them.

If you agree to take a dog without much communication, this is what may happen.

There are lots of good people on buy&sell/done deal etc, so I think it's unfair to assume they're all money grabbing/non animal caring people.
    It's up to you and anyone looking for a dog/animal to do their research and also to report anyone you find has mistreated a dog as above.

Advertisement