Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner biker

• 06-07-2009 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about insurance either with AON Bikecare or Quinn-Direct. Comparing the two which one would be better?
    Also any recommendation on a first bike and would it be worth restricting one to make it learner legal? (Was thinking of a honda 250 hornet)

I haven't had any Rider training yet so was wondering what the deal is on discounts with approved instructors by these company's.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

karlog wrote: »
    I'm thinking about insurance either with AON Bikecare or Quinn-Direct. Comparing the two which one would be better?
    Also any recommendation on a first bike and would it be worth restricting one to make it learner legal? (Was thinking of a honda 250 hornet)

I haven't had any Rider training yet so was wondering what the deal is on discounts with approved instructors by these company's.

What age are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

What age are you?

Going on 20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

AON do a rider training discount, basically you do a day's training witrh an approved instructor and then have an assesment, discount is based on this, it's definately worth doing.

The Hornet 250 isn't a great bike, you'd be better off buying the 600 restricted as you'll tire of the 250 pretty much straight away, the 600 will be like having a new bike as soon as restriction is up.
    Cost of restriction is around €3-400.

Insurance will be the big decider for you but if a 600 is beyond your means then a CB500 or GS500 would definately be worth a look.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Going on 20

Great, age is a important place to start with insurance. A few more questions,

Budget?
    Current rider experience?
    Location(rough idea)?

I'm asking these questions as a AON test is well worth it at your age(Quinn accept it also making their test invalid). You will make the money back within a year and after that its pure gold. But don't expect to go out with zero riding skills and be able to pick up the grade 2 qualification within a day(6hours). A few beginner courses and intermediate are well worth it.

Also, have you considered the other costs? health insurance, proper safety gear, chains+locks, running costs.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Great, age is a important place to start with insurance. A few more questions,

Budget?
    Current rider experience?
    Location(rough idea)?

I'm asking these questions as a AON test is well worth it at your age(Quinn accept it also making their test invalid). You will make the money back within a year and after that its pure gold. But don't expect to go out with zero riding skills and be able to pick up the grade 2 qualification within a day(6hours). A few beginner courses and intermediate are well worth it.

Also, have you considered the other costs? health insurance, proper safety gear, chains+locks, running costs.......

Hoping to get a loan approved so my budget will be about 5k
    No rider experience (well some from a friend in a carpark) but never on the road, A rider course would be my best bet so.
    I'm in west Dublin

So how many hours would you say i'd need before i'd be able to pick up a grade 2 and would a grade 3 be worth it aswell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

No rider experience (well some from a friend in a carpark) but never on the road, A rider course would be my best bet so.
    I'm in west Dublin

So how many hours would you say i'd need before i'd be able to pick up a grade 2 and would a grade 3 be worth it aswell?

Fingals county council do a day long training course for new riders (you dont have to live anywhere near finglas to do it) - it's called star rider or something.. google it & you should find it. I think it costs 200 but thats nothing for a days training. It unfortunatly doesn't impact your insurance but it will help when you go to do the AON or the Quinn assessment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

How long is a peice of string is the only answer to that one - you could do a weeks solid training and come out with a grade 1 or you could do the same training and come out with a fail. It's all up to the learning curve of the rider. Some people pick it up and can idenitfy every hazard in front of them and others remain oblivious to all around.

600-1000 for gear, 200+ for locks/chains, 1K+ for insurance.
    I'm in west Dublin

Star rider as mentioned or David Lyons who I did mine with. A beginner course, then assessment if he thinks you can do it. 700 at least. You get smaller numbers and more one to one training.

Four grades, 1 highest and 4 lowest. You should be aiming for a grade two as its the highest you can get without a full license.

Advertisement