Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another one bites the dust... or maybe 2 or 3 actually!

• 06-07-2009 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

McCarrick's SEAT and Peugeot are gone today, Tom Kilroy's closing next month!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

by the end of the year ild say there will be more than just a few gone , unfortunite as that is for the people that work in these garages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

steve06 wrote: »
    McCarrick's SEAT and Peugeot are gone today, Tom Kilroy's closing next month!

McCarricks - Tubercurry, Sligo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

McCarricks - Tubercurry, Sligo?
    Yep, that's what I've just heard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Feel sorry for the staff, any idea how many working in those dealers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Only heard about Kilroy's yesterday, they've been around for ever, my grandad used to work for them in the old garage years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Are these absolutely, positively, definitely announced/known or still at hearsay stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

-Chris- wrote: »
    Are these absolutely, positively, definitely announced/known or still at hearsay stage?
    http://peugeot.mccarricks.ie/ - site removed, and also removed from peugeot.ie dealer list.
    http://www.tomkilroy.com/ - closing down sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I work opposite McCarricks.

Staff were told last Friday at 4 that there would be no work Monday.

John Scanlon the former Seat dealer is supposed to be setting up repairs on the premises and I heard that a former salesman in the garage is going to take the showroom for 2nd hand sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gunner099

i work in the trade myself, scary times. the motor trade is all i know
    we have let go a good few since xmass. dunno what the future holds for my job but it looks bleak. i hear volkswagen ireland are letting people go aswell so that cant be good news for anyone. they are a big seller in the
    market so it just shows the change in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

They were going through a very rough time - kept hearing constant threats of them going out of business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sorry for the people who worked there and lost their jobs ...but McCarricks is no great loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sloppy

To say Tom Kilroy has "bit the dust" is wrong.

He is retiring after a long career and his family don't want to continue in the business in the current environment.

Who can blame them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

sloppy wrote: »
    To say Tom Kilroy has "bit the dust" is wrong.

He is retiring after a long career and his family don't want to continue in the business in the current environment.

Who can blame them.

I live just near them, I hope they come back when times get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Kilroys will be a sad loss to the area, I remember dealing with them years ago and buying a LHD Peugeot 205 GTI (Trade sale ) off them and they were excellent to deal with, got the same treatment as the fella buying a brand new motor off them!!

Unfortunately the motor trade is getting worse by the minute, I worked in it myself until last October when I became a victim of the recession. Hopefully it will pick up again soon and the government get off thier lazy asses and sort something out for them.. They bailed out the builders, They bailed out the banks so why not help the motor trade????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Kilroys will be a sad loss to the area, I remember dealing with them years ago and buying a LHD Peugeot 205 GTI (Trade sale ) off them and they were excellent to deal with, got the same treatment as the fella buying a brand new motor off them!!

Unfortunately the motor trade is getting worse by the minute, I worked in it myself until last October when I became a victim of the recession. Hopefully it will pick up again soon and the government get off thier lazy asses and sort something out for them.. They bailed out the builders, They bailed out the banks so why not help the motor trade????

The motor trade in Ireland deserves no help and has a silver spoon up its rear from day one. Irish main dealers have been ripping off the irish consumer for years with specials like windup windows and no a/c as standard. They have been totaly insulated from the UK market by VRT and the more job losses and dealers to go bust the better. VRT must go and road tax must be cut by 50%, you cannot have Danish levels of taxation with somalian levels of infrastructure and no-existent public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Also helping the motor trade is just funnelling money out of the country.

Still not nice to see people losing their jobs though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

never good to hear about closures, motor industry or not....
    damn shame......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

netwhizkid wrote: »
    The motor trade in Ireland deserves no help and has a silver spoon up its rear from day one. Irish main dealers have been ripping off the irish consumer for years with specials like windup windows and no a/c as standard. They have been totaly insulated from the UK market by VRT and the more job losses and dealers to go bust the better. VRT must go and road tax must be cut by 50%, you cannot have Danish levels of taxation with somalian levels of infrastructure and no-existent public transport.

Don't you just love ill-informed posts :rolleyes:

If you are going to have a go at someone, have a go at the importers / distributors, not the dealers who are working within limits imposed on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

R.O.R wrote: »

If you are going to have a go at someone, have a go at the importers / distributors, not the dealers who are working within limits imposed on them.

+1

...try being in the commercial veh business - even worse. Most commercial veh's are leased, and the banks have simply closed their doors. There's no shortage of would-be clients, no shortage of the likes of us to build bodies - but dealers cannot get finance/leasing, for anyone.

The banks have taken the 3.5Bn each, stuffed into their own ledgers, and not let a red cent of it out to anyone. Closing garages ? - time to close a few banks, methinks.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

No loss with Kilroy's...
    Remember I wanted a Peugeot 407 in the blue colour.
    "Ah now you have to wait a month for it...and next month the prices are going up by €500 and your car will have depreciated by €500 so it will cost you €1000 extra" the salesman said to me.
    Didn't like that answer so bought a Primera instead.
    But I'll say one thing for them..when I went to test drive the 407 they just handed me the keys and left me off on my own for 30 minutes driving it wherever I wanted to. In fact they were the only garage that actually allowed me to do that.
    It's a pity they tried to rip me off as I really wanted the 407 first and the Primera was a close second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

R.O.R wrote: »

Dealers working within their limits! - you mean dealers working within the limits that suited them i.e sales departments that operated as glorified order takers and nothing more. After sales departments were treated as an after thought. The distributors & the dealers worked hand in hand where overall it was happy days alround until the new car market died.

Taking about ill-informed, your having a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Dealers working within their limits! - you mean dealers working within the limits that suited them i.e sales departments that operated as glorified order takers and nothing more. After sales departments were treated as an after thought. The distributors & the dealers worked hand in hand where overall it was happy days alround until the new car market died.

Taking about ill-informed, your having a laugh.

Are you talking about stuff you have no idea about again?

Here go play with this.....

lego_v8_engine.jpg

:P:D

Advertisement