Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more ram for my imac

Options
  • 06-07-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hi guys... bought an imac in december 08.. great machine but i need more ram. Currently it is 2gig.. I think that is 2 x 1gig cards.. Now i think i need 2 x 2gig cards.. Might be wrong not sure... Just got quoted 170euro to get 4gig cards.. Seems very expensive when i think i could change them myself.. Anyone done this before or any advice.. Cheers in advance..

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Try the memory configurator here for your exact model. Apple -> Imac- > ????

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=11209

It seems to be bog standard DDR2. For a few sample models I selected it is coming back with 2X2G Crucial sticks for about 42 bucks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Careful, some iMacs need ECC memory...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Solitaire wrote: »
    Careful, some iMacs need ECC memory...

It seems as though the iMacs that support ECC can use Non-ECC as well? (I must confess all I know about macs is they look pretty :))

I agree that caution is the OPs friend though, as I am sure he will get zero support if the sticks do not work because of his outraqgous decision not to install their 170 quid RAM. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

cheers guys..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Go here and download the system scanner - they'll recommend the most suitable RAM:

http://www.crucial.com/eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Am away for a couple of days but will do as soon as i get home.. thanks for the info.. Is it easy enough to change the ram myself.. am An electrician by trade so am not daunted by opening something although often a little knowledge is worse than a lot... thanks for the help

alan kelly wrote: »
    Am away for a couple of days but will do as soon as i get home.. thanks for the info.. Is it easy enough to change the ram myself.. am An electrician by trade so am not daunted by opening something although often a little knowledge is worse than a lot... thanks for the help

No sure how easy it is to open the iMac, but once you are in simply pop the old ones out and put the other ones in. Just remember to touch something metal and grounded every so often, and not to touch any of the visible circuitry on the RAM as even mild static could damage them.

Advertisement