Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions to ask German Shepard breeders?

Options
  • 06-07-2009 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    At the moment I’m looking for a long haired German Shepherd puppy, but I want to be able to get one from a reputable breeder Just wondering what are the questions to ask the breeders which maximise my chances of buying a healthy puppy. I’ve searched nearly every page in the Irish Kennel Clubs website but it has very little information but I presume it’s an amateur organisation.

I'm also wondering how important is the hip score? and would a breeder have any objections to get a vet to check the dog out first. I'm very familiar with the breed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Best of luck in your search. I would say that hip scoring is very important and any good breeder would have no problem whatsoever in showing you proof of the scores of both dam and sire. If they can't, they I would walk away.

If you get in touch with the IKC again, ask them for the GSD club details, then get in touch with them, they should be able to tell you which of their members have pups, or have litters planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Best thing is to contact the breed clubs as below, found on the IKC website:

All Ireland German Shepherd Dog Assoc.
    Ms. R. Stapleton
    c/o 29 Silverlawns, Abbeylands, Navan, Co. Meath.
    (046-9075729) email: tendykgsd@eircom.net

German Shepherd Dog Club of Ireland
    Ms. Mary D’Arcy
    106 Quarry Road,Cabra, Dublin 7.
    (01-8681494)

AFAIK, hip scoring is a must and is extremely important in GS dogs. A good, reputable breeder should insist that both sire and dam are hip scored for breeding and health tested too and i wouldnt buy from one if they dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

+1 on the Hip Scoring. While good (low) hip scores in the parents does not guarantee that the pups will subsequently have good hips, its certainly a step in the right direction in eradicating hip dysplasia in the breed.
    And another fairly obvious thing, make sure the parents are available for you to see and interact with so you can get a general idea of their condition and temperament. If you're concerned about anything at all with regard to the pups or parents, do not feel obliged to buy, just walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Thanks for the help, knowing how great a bread and intelligent they are I'm not going to rush into buying one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

+ 1 with the hip scores but if the parents only have average scores and excellent temperaments I think this would be better than a perfect score and dodgy temperaments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Nope, why sacrifice health and soundness for temperament? Can't you find both?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

try get one that has been raised with kids, make things a lot easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Ruby Soho wrote: »
    Nope, why sacrifice health and soundness for temperament? Can't you find both?

Average scores of 20 or slightly higher isn't sacrificing anything healthwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

andreac wrote: »

AFAIK, hip scoring is a must and is extremely important in GS dogs. A good, reputable breeder should insist that both sire and dam are hip scored for breeding and health tested too and i wouldnt buy from one if they dont.

I was talking to a breeder and he said he didn't have any hip score for the bitch, as he has to wait 3 months after breeding, how plausible is that? Also the bitch was serviced by a well known dog who was imported so can’t be registered yet as it’s still in the German owners name. Getting the impression he’s not very well established but I can trace the bloodlines on the Sire and the Dams side back to Germany. (he owns the bitch)

I might take a look at the litter but what should I insist on getting before parting with any money especially if I had an idea of showing this dog in the future.

Thanks again for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Im sorry but i wouldnt go near a breeder that hasnt hip scored.

3 months after breeding?? that doesnt make sense, she should have been done before she was mated, sounds like they dont know what they are doing.

As a matter of interest where did you find this breeder, was it on done deal? if so i would stay well clear, a good breeder would not breed there dog before it was hip scored, end of.

Personally i wouldnt go near this breeder. Would you not go along to a show and talk to some of the GS people there and have a look at their dogs, thats the best way if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    I was talking to a breeder and he said he didn't have any hip score for the bitch, as he has to wait 3 months after breeding, how plausible is that? Also the bitch was serviced by a well known dog who was imported so can’t be registered yet as it’s still in the German owners name. Getting the impression he’s not very well established but I can trace the bloodlines on the Sire and the Dams side back to Germany. (he owns the bitch)

I might take a look at the litter but what should I insist on getting before parting with any money especially if I had an idea of showing this dog in the future.

Thanks again for the help

+1, stay away from this breeder. All the health checks should be done before the dog is used for breeding, thats the point of them. You get the health checks done to see if the dog is healthy and sound genetically before you pass those genes onto another generation. Should also have registered the imported dog before allowing it to service the bitch, he knew he wouldn't be able to register the pups if the sire wasn't registered himself. Unless he is registered with the German kennel club, and he has proof of this?

Advertisement