Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Downgrading - Advice needed!

• 06-07-2009 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently driving a 00 Avensis 1.8L petrol saloon. At present I use the car once, maybe twice a week to go a short distance (under 5 miles per trip), the rest of the time it's sitting idle the lane behind the house.

It goes without saying that a smaller, more tax/emmission/fuel efficient car would be far more practical and less costly.

My question is which cars fall into this bracket? I'd like something reliable and not ugly to look at with a similar value to the Avensis.

Any suggestions? Help much appreciated! Thanks :D

EDIT: Removed Avensis value pending further research!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Like I said in another thread, no way is it worth €4k unfortunately. Maybe €2k if you're lucky as the 1.8 isn't very popular due to the (slightly) larger engine size. Us Irish love the smallest engine possible:D

But if you want something small and nippy a Fiesta 1.25 Zetec would be a wise buy. Best try sell the Avensis privately, as if you go to swap a dealer for a similarly valued car they will still want to make a few quid on the deal and I can see very few wanting to take in something that may be tough to sell.

Best of luck either way though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

You'd be going well to get €4000 for a 00 Avensis. Max €2000 in the current climate. Maybe a 02 Fiesta?

EDIT: Good man EPM, great minds think a like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Cheers for the advice! You just beat me to the edit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It goes without saying that a smaller, more tax/emmission/fuel efficient car would be far more practical and less costly.

It doesn't really go without saying, unless you can keep the cost of changing cars to an absolute minimum.

Edit - just to elaborate: I was doing the sums myself, as there is a chance my office might be moving locations.

My 25MPG car would cost up to €1500 or so more a year to run over a diesel car (1.6 to 2.0) - that includes tax as well. That sounds a lot, but the cost to change could easily take 2 years of those savings, plus my car is a known quantity having breezed through the NCT and received a full service.

I'm not saying that it's cheaper to run the bigger car, but just make sure you work out the figures before forking out for a car that you would consider a downgrade.

If you can find someone willing to do an upgrade to a larger car, then you might be able to get out of this with little or no cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,480 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

fuel efficency is hardly an issue if you do 6 miles a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Hi all,

I'm currently driving a 00 Avensis 1.8L petrol saloon. At present I use the car once, maybe twice a week to go a short distance (under 5 miles per trip), the rest of the time it's sitting idle the lane behind the house.

Sounds to me that it would be much cheaper to sell your car altogether. Get on your bike and take a taxi when the weather is against you (2000 € worth of old Avensis buys a lot of taxi rides and you have no fixed costs like tax/insurance)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unless the car is falling apart I would say keep it. The cost to change even to something smaller will tax and fill it for a year or two more.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

EPM wrote: »
    Like I said in another thread, no way is it worth €4k unfortunately. Maybe €2k if you're lucky as the 1.8 isn't very popular due to the (slightly) larger engine size. Us Irish love the smallest engine possible:D

But if you want something small and nippy a Fiesta 1.25 Zetec would be a wise buy. Best try sell the Avensis privately, as if you go to swap a dealer for a similarly valued car they will still want to make a few quid on the deal and I can see very few wanting to take in something that may be tough to sell.

Best of luck either way though

totally agree ...1.25 zetec great little car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Tax on Avensis is €551 p.a. A pre-2008 1.25L Fiesta (probably the best option) cost €310 p.a. so saving are only €241 p.a. but Toyota is bigger and more flexible.
    As your mileage is so low, fuel economy won't make any difference.

Keep the Toyota unless you hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Thanks for all the advice, some very interesting points both for and against changing the car.

Weighing up the pro's and con's of each I think I'm going to stick with it for now. Checked out the insurance premium on a 1.25 Zetec and there's not really a substancial difference in the amount, well not enough to justify changing!

Thanks again for the advice on this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

sell the car, get a bike or scooter, then rent a car if you want to go on a road trip somewhere...

Advertisement