Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mid Life Crisis Cabriolet

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Galway TT you have to remember we are dealing with a middle aged woman who is used to dealing with a ford galaxy or renault scenic as an everyday runaround (no offence to the op!). She want a troublefree car that’s fun to be in and good looking without the need to be constantly keeping an eye on her, to an enthusiast the mx5 is a piece of piss to maintain but compared to a focus or corolla its on a different level of reliability.
    Our car (a 95 1.8) was actually the daily drive of my (middle aged!) wife, who drove it along some pretty shaky back roads (some were cobbled, this was Holland!) with not a single problem at all. We had it for nearly 5 years and the only thing it needed doing to it was routine servicing. She absolutely loved it. We only got rid of it because we moved over here and it was LHD, otherwise we'd still have it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

After 4 pages there's only been 1 reply from the OP - can we get more details.... budget etc?

I still think an Elise is the best buy, S2k second...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

-Chris- wrote: »
    YES THEY F*CKIN' DO!

Now now, any more of that and you can take a weeks break.........

Hummm.........never a mod about when you need one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

R.O.R wrote: »
    ;)

Oh no, you're not dragging me back into this conversation... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Hummm.........never a mod about when you need one :)

All the sane ones were in bed by that hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

steve06 wrote: »
    After 4 pages there's only been 1 reply from the OP - can we get more details.... budget etc?

I still think an Elise is the best buy, S2k second...

Both are way too hardcore for what the op is looking for I reckon, going by the mgf on her shopping list.

I actually wouldnt recommend the elise to anyone but a hardcore enthusiast. rewarding to drive but as an overall package that people look for in a car seriously flawed.

I actually wouldnt recommend the elise to anyone but a hardcore enthusiast. rewarding to drive but as an overall package that people look for in a car seriously flawed.

Eh... have you driven many? They're a great car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Cpoh1. You are out of your mind if you think an MGF is more reliable than an MX5. My own experience aside a quick check of the web will show the MGF's problems to be far more numerous and indeed serious. There are entire websites and MGF "Halls of Shame" set up around this topic. The TF is barely any better and these uprated gaskets seem only to prolong the inevitable (sure it replaces the weak plastic dowels etc... but ultimately the engine is a flawed one, particularly in a mid engined roadster where cooling is a bigger problem than it is in most of the cars this engine was originally designed for). With a mid engine mounting all repairs are expensive too.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a TF for a weekend car, I just cannot risk it again.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Cpoh1. You are out of your mind if you think an MGF is more reliable than an MX5. QUOTE]

Yes I would be, thankfully I never said that :D

• Advertisement

Eh... have you driven many? They're a great car!

Read my post again I never said they weren't a great car to drive, I might even buy one myself when they come down to more realistic prices for oldler models like the s1.

They are however seriously flawed for your everyday joe soap who likes cars. fcuk all room, no creature comforts, getting in and out is like doing 20 press ups, crap canvas roof and they can be very tempermental to get running spot on. In standard form the suspension isint great either. They truly are a labour of love and certainly not everyones cup of tea.

Read my post again I never said they weren't a great car to drive, I might even buy one myself when they come down to more realistic prices for oldler models like the s1.
    Wont happen, S1's are on the up in the UK. They can be used as a daily driver though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Jesus lads, S2000 or even Elise for a middle aged lady? She might not even be able to get into the Elise for all we know :)

unkel wrote: »
    Jesus lads, S2000 or even Elise for a middle aged lady? She might not even be able to get into the Elise for all we know :)
    it's an easy process... basically you fall into an Elise: leg, arse, head, leg - then reverse it to get out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Galway TT you have to remember we are dealing with a middle aged woman who is used to dealing with a ford galaxy or renault scenic as an everyday runaround (no offence to the op!). She want a troublefree car that’s fun to be in and good looking without the need to be constantly keeping an eye on her, to an enthusiast the mx5 is a piece of piss to maintain but compared to a focus or corolla its on a different level of reliability.

Sorry, but that's basically, nonsense. The MX is at least as reliable as any Corolla or Focus. Neither Focii nor Corolla's are not maintenance-free, remember,either. The MX is no more likely to let you down on the side of the road than either.
    Now a slave cylinder is cheap as chips and handy to fix ... The same with the bushes, I spent a full day with a mate pressing out my bushes and replacing them in my mx5, cheap for me, up to 500 for your ordinary joe and these are consumables and rot due to age regardless of use. ....
    you'll find all of the above applies to either a Corolla or Focus, too, btw......

For the record, my SO is also (of not dissimilar vintage - :eek: -but you didn't hear that from me ) and there is no impediment to it's daily use. Compared to my wife's daily driver (968) it's a positive boon - it's even easier to drive, than our 9-3 diesel estate.

Oh, and having bought 3 x Scenic's, and including looking for one, yesterday - I object !! :p:p ...esp when the '5 is more reliable !!
    Alun wrote: »
    Our car (a 95 1.8) was actually the daily drive of my (middle aged!) wife, who drove it along some pretty shaky back roads (some were cobbled, this was Holland!) with not a single problem at all. We had it for nearly 5 years and the only thing it needed doing to it was routine servicing. She absolutely loved it. We only got rid of it because we moved over here and it was LHD, otherwise we'd still have it today.

Exactly, + 1. Mind you, wiser now, LHD wouldn't put me off anymore.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Scarlett68

While i appreciate the sentiment that I am indeed a middle aged woman I am not a renault scenic/ford galaxy owner. :eek: But you are right I want minimal fuss, low maintenance (as possible) eye candy.

I had previously lived in "deliverance country" and therefore both current vehicles are of the 4x4 variety (Pathfinder '05 + Defender 90 '91). Presently Im living in a city, however, Im building a new house and will be returning to "bandit country" soon (not quite deliverance county but Im sure I hear duelling banjoes in the distance!!). So this car will solely be a bit of fun and frivolity from the drudgery of 4x4's. I intend to use it for going to work 2-3 days per week (dual carraigeway about 20 minutes from new house) so it will be on bad roads for a bit though the majority on time on the motorway! The budget is limited to E5,000 to E8,000 (at most!). Dont want anything above 1.8L (just from tax and Ins persepective). And just for the record Im a slim size 10 so can get in and out of most seats in spite of the old age:D So whilst Im all confused now I still think its the MX5 though im open to even further suggestions.!

• Advertisement

I'll mention an Elise again... s2k 2nd, smart roadster 3rd, MX-5 4th

What's your budget?
    Scarlett68 wrote: »
    And just for the record Im a slim size 10
    Useless without pics! (well someone was going to say it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

it's an easy process... basically you fall into an Elise: leg, arse, head, leg - then reverse it to get out!

using the force as your rear window will not allow :(

I'll mention an Elise again... s2k 2nd, smart roadster 3rd, MX-5 4th

What's your budget?

Useless without pics! (well someone was going to say it)

Steve06 Im looking into your suggestions...so thanks for that.

Budget a mere E5,000 to E8,000.

And cant provide the pics...always spent my time behind the camera not in front of it! :D

something completely different http://www.carzone.ie/search/Daihatsu/Copen/OPEN-TOP/200836189889216/advert?channel=CARS

remember the industry's not doing great at the moment so search above your budget and make an offer!

Steve06, it is a cutie......but somehow just not for me - it reminds me a bit of an Audi TT.

Thanks to everyone again for all input!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Now cmon, theres a big difference between and Audi TT and that 0.6

i have a lawnmower with more power :)

disappointed nobody liked me Z3 :(

john47832, I LOVE your Z3....its just that bit too big at 1.9. The budget dictates for tax & ins also.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,480 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

not a whole pile difference in tax between a 1.8 MX5 and a 1.9 Z3. the Z will. cost more to run though and isn't as good to drive, or as well built

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

4 pages and nobody's mentioned an Elise yet?

and you all know it's the car to get! ;)

Love the Elise :).
    Would but one tomorrow if I had the money.
    But, they are more of a 'Targa top', and an entusiastist car.
    Havent read through the whole thing, has the Honda s2000 been mentioned?

Drove past one today, and thought to mention it - not a bad car at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

colm_mcm wrote: »
    not a whole pile difference in tax between a 1.8 MX5 and a 1.9 Z3. the Z will. cost more to run though and isn't as good to drive, or as well built

+1

Z3 was biuld by americans, enought said...

And on MX5 topic :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPeKpxOm0qI

can any of Admins make it into proper youtube link, and tell me how to do it myself for next times :D thx!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

can any of Admins make it into proper youtube link, and tell me how to do it myself for next times :D thx!

Copy the youtube link, wrap the youtube 'icons' around it, and delete from the http... up to and including the = sign.
    So, you will be left with this - fPeKpxOm0qI - betweenthe youtube icons.

Like this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

Scarlett68 wrote: »
    Hi,

Im a woman in the throes of a mid-life crisis (yes, women do get them too!) and am debating the purchase of either an MG MGF 1.8i or a Mazda MX-5. Ive done a bit of research and I know there are issues with the MGs head gasket - (the advice seems to be get one after 1999), whereas the Mazda is tried & tested with little or no problems bar the usual ones you get with any softop. My heart (and my budget) wants an MG, so I guess Im looking for advice + or - from anyone about either car. If you have any experiences/advice to give think of it has helping the aged!!! Thanks

Hey Scarlett68, you have great taste - MG MGF 1.8i or a Mazda MX-5.
    I too have that midlife crisis going on. I reckon you should go with your heart on this one. There are too many things in life that we have to be level-headed about. Just go for it I say. Pick whichever one feels right for you.

MonsieurD wrote: »
    Hey Scarlett68, you have great taste - MG MGF 1.8i or a Mazda MX-5.
    I too have that midlife crisis going on. I reckon you should go with your heart on this one. There are too many things in life that we have to be level-headed about. Just go for it I say. Pick whichever one feels right for you.

I really appreciate the sentiment MonsieurD but my heart tends to get me into all sorts of trouble:D

Advertisement