Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Refereing in Pedro Rizzo/Gilbert Yvel fight

Options
  • 06-07-2009 5:24pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Just caught this on youtube.

Man, the ref shouldn't have let 2 punches connect on the floor, let alone 5.

I'm surprised Rizoo got up so soon, Yvel really connected with those punches with Rizzo defenceless.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Seen that fight over weekend, not so sure....looks at how many punches lesnar gave Randy during there fight.

Most shocking thing is Rizzo wants to fight in September :eek: Was an article basically saying its far too soon after a knockout like that, also questioning how many knockouts should a fighter be allowed in his career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Yvel has a bit of a reputation to say the least but that was not his fault, very poor refereeing. There was actually an interview posted with Yvel after the fight in the thread about the event further down i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Ref was slow comin in alright, he was well out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Devastator wrote: »
    Seen that fight over weekend, not so sure....looks at how many punches lesnar gave Randy during there fight.

The difference is that Rizzo was out. Randy wasn't taking as much damage but it had to be stopped at some point

I was reading somewhere last night that Marc Ratner, the head of regulatory affairs for the UFC, is going to be changing his focus from getting states to legalise MMA to improving the standard of refereeing. That's going to be a welcome thing. There's been a few early/late stoppages in the UFC recently. There was the Matt Brown fight (can't remember the opponent) where the ref stepped in, then told him to keep fighting, and he just kept hurting his opponent and getting nothing in return. Earlier that night there had been a very early stoppage, and the fans had been booing that referee for the rest of the night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

tough call to make tbh..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I'm not convinced there's much wrong with that. Rizzo has his legs elevated which the referee could interpret as a potential guard recovery. You have to give the guy a chance to recover.

Something you hear a lot is 3-5 undefended strikes and it should be over. For me, for the first 3 strikes Rizzo is still active, but the 4th and 5th he's showing nothing. Remember this is a former UFC champ with a lot of fights behind him and a lot of experience of getting hit so a referee is going to be very hesitant to step in if he thinks he has a professional's chance of recovering.

In short- it's not great and the ref could have been a bit quicker, but it's not the worst either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

The ref might have been a little slow but I've seen a lot worse than that. Like Roper said, it's not as though Rizzo was stretched out flat on his back after the first one.

Advertisement