Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"6,000 learner drivers fined for breaking law"

• 06-07-2009 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

I've got a strong suspision that the "6000" that were caught were your boy racer type people or driver that were pulled for some other reason like poor driving, speeding, using phone etc and when then the guards would dicover they are provo drivers and just come down hard on them because of the other reasons. If your a good, safe driver and your not driving some sooped up, kitted out car and obey the laws you'll be fine. And when you get pulled and questioned about the no L plate and no licenced passenger, if you have a good speel ready and are mannerly, i have no doubt you'll be sent off with a casution. Suppose you never know though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RSA ADI MARK

o.p.h if the 6000 obey the law they would not drive unaccompanied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Sure i was caught yesterday by a checkpoint with my l plate..I had 5 ppl in my car and all he said was you shouldnt be doing that..I did have to hand in my insurance disc sheet into their office though,but that could have been down to him seeing that i left off 2 guys 50m in front of the checkpoint and then having another 4incl myself in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Had the satisfaction of overhearing a conversation while passing a car with L-plates pulled by a Garda a few weeks ago. "Can I see your driving license please? That's not a license, does your passenger have a license?" :)
    O.P.H. wrote:
    If your a good, safe driver and your not driving some sooped up, kitted out car and obey the laws you'll be fine.

I wonder what's stopping these "good safe drivers" from doing the test. It's like Gay Byrne telling all and sundry that he's a good safe driver who doesn't need to sit his test, then revealing that people close to him would plead with him not to drive home from the Late Late Show "drunk or sober". If you're good and safe, you should have no problem proving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Eh.... is anyone else watching the Traffic Blues series on RTE? On Sunday they stopped a boy racer, with a provisional licence, unaccompanied, with no L-plates, doing handbrake turns in a car park. He got 2 points and an 80 euro fine. This happens in every episode, I've never seen a fine larger than €150. If I get stopped and fined something ridiculous like in the OP, when I have my L-Plates up, but just in no position to have a full licensed driver to accompany me throughout my day to day business, I'm just gonna get out of the car and <SNIP> the keys at the Guard because I dont think I'd be able to contain myself at how ridiculous the system works.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's really annoying now with this law, everybody in my family got to practice on their own and now I can't. You have to get somebody with a license and free time to just sit there while you clock hours of driving up. It's not like they even say anything sitting beside me, apart from normal conversation, and you have to book their time. Other people would find it far more difficult than me to find somebody to go out with them too. I would like to see some sort of interim 'diploma' that allows you to drive on your own, that you can try and get if you want to. Then you can go on towards the test. As for us learners being safe, it's people with full licences that are far more unsafe and cocky than me. See such terrible driving every day, don't know how these people are allowed to drive. At least as a learner we are quite cautious and rigidly stick to the rules, well I do! Boy racers are a plague though.

I would like to see some sort of interim 'diploma' that allows you to drive on your own, that you can try and get if you want to. Then you can go on towards the test.

Our driving test is what counts for the "interim diploma" step in most other countries. 30 mins of driving around housing estates on a clear dry day to just show that you have the basic skills needed to not kill someone immediately on driving out of the test centre, I don't see how you could dumb it down any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

I think the guards understand the whole system is laughable and dont enforce the laws in each case..

I mean ffs..

I tried to apply for a test recently and the RSA website came back with a "record not found" error when i put in my driver number and name.

I e-mailed the RSA with a query in relation to this and after about a week and a half they reply with the suggestion that maybe i spelt my name incorrectly:rolleyes:.

A couple of mails sent back since, without reply.. So its back to the old reliable snail mail and im pretty sure the €75 will get lost somehow by the incompetent folk @RSA.

My NCT is up for renewal this month. I phone them and because of new laws brought in there is a backlog and the earliest date available is 21st November.

It really is not worth getting upset about. Its a joke

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Stark wrote: »
    Our driving test is what counts for the "interim diploma" step in most other countries. 30 mins of driving around housing estates on a clear dry day to just show that you have the basic skills needed to not kill someone immediately on driving out of the test centre, I don't see how you could dumb it down any further.

I dunno, it seems very easy, I think it should have more tested but anyway...
    I'll probably fail for some reason. :D

Just think if you do a required amount of lessons with somebody that would have the 'power' to allow you to drive on your own or something it would be nice. Just my random ideas :S

Make the cost of it make poeple suffer. Make people want to get a licence because of the benefit. Put a short time limit on it, give poeple only one. Dunno, was just an idea!

Provisional drivers already carry an insurance loading but that hasn't been sufficient motivation for them to go out and do a test.
    Make the cost of it make poeple suffer. Make people want to get a licence because of the benefit. Put a short time limit on it, give poeple only one. Dunno, was just an idea!

That was the idea behind letting people drive unaccompanied on their second provisional. It didn't work.

That's because we simply get cheap insurance as a 'named driver' etc. I would not blink having to hand over that money, it was so cheap. For a girl you can get it free. Admittedly some people don't have my option and pay quite a bit and it would/would not motivate different people. It's a matter of sufficient motivation such as if you don't pass your test by your second provisional being up, you can never get a licence, or some well thought out idea! If it is not moticvation enough as you suggest you add more stringent policies. Which I suppose this one is, I jsut don't care for it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭galwaybob

The Guards should be ashamed of themselves.

The country awash with scumbags who never receive justice and they are talking about giving a fella 3 months for no L plates.
    Its all a money making racket anyway. What difference is an L plate or a passenger with a license going to make if someone wants to drive around like a lunatic.:rolleyes:

3 months of what for driving around with no L-plates? Prison time, driving ban? Have heard nothing of this.
    galwaybob wrote:
    What difference is an L plate or a passenger with a license going to make if someone wants to drive around like a lunatic. :rolleyes:

The licensed passenger is there to provide coaching so the driver isn't driving around like a lunatic. The L-plate is there to warn other road users that the person driving is unqualified and to take appropriate care.

Bad driving should be tackled in its own right, not used as an excuse for everyone else to flout the law. "Aww but why do I have to obey the traffic lights when there are people out there drinking and speeding yadda yadda". Once we go down that road, then everything goes to ****. (Not that it isn't already happening).

Indeed. People whining that an accompanying driver makes no difference should take a look at the number of accidents involving learner drivers over here and the number in other countries. In fact in most countries, it's free to add a learner driver to your insurance as the insurance company knows that you'll be in the car with them and the risk is small. Over here it carries a larger loading than someone with a full license due to the risks involved.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

I'd imagine they'd get the message after the first conviction.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Let me clarify..The Guards should be ashamed of themselves for pursuing this money making racket at the behest of that gang of parasites in the dail. Instead of pursuing the kind of scumbag that breaks into your house, rapes your granny and then robs your playstation.

galwaybob wrote: »
    Let me clarify..The Guards should be ashamed of themselves for pursuing this money making racket at the behest of that gang of parasites in the dail. Instead of pursuing the kind of scumbag that breaks into your house, rapes your granny and then robs your playstation.

I imagine they persue both.

I imagine they persue both.

They dont have the man power.
    You might want to take a look at some recent crime statistics.

This kind of work is not exclusively the job of the traffic corps and regardless we are talking about a misuse of resources no matter what way you dress it up.

This kind of work is not exclusively the job of the traffic corps and regardless we are talking about a misuse of resources no matter what way you dress it up.

So which crimes should be ignored and which shouldn't be? Surely robbery should be ignored for murders and rapes?

• Advertisement

So which crimes should be ignored and which shouldn't be? Surely robbery should be ignored for murders and rapes?

What!:confused:

All I am saying is Garda resources would be better spent investigating serious crime instead of tormenting people on learner permits who in most cases do their best to drive carefully and are on a waiting list for a test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What!:confused:

All I am saying is Garda resources would be better spent investigating serious crime instead of tormenting people on learner permits who in most cases do their best to drive carefully and are on a waiting list for a test.

I think it should be noted that the Gardai have said that they are not out specifically to target unaccompanied drivers, if however you are stopped at a check point, or a traffic corps car pulls you over when he sees a learner with no accompanying driver then fair enough.
    It's not as if gardai say, okay, let's forget about murders for a week while we tackle drink drivers etc that's just not how it works.

Of course not. Galwaybob's not into that at the moment. If he was, he'd be complaining that the guards are persecuting the poor safe sensible robbers like himself and letting the ones who rape the house owners go.

A quick calculation based on the data provided reveals the chances of getting caught on any given week are less than 0.01%. With those kind of odds you would be a fool not to take your chances and let the cops go <SNIP> themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

A quick calculation based on the data provided reveals the chances of getting caught on any given week are less than 0.01%. With those kind of odds you would be a fool not to take your chances and let the cops go fcuk themselves.

You do realise that enforcing traffic laws will make the roads safer and reduce the risk of people killing or crippling themselves and others, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

This is rubbish, a way of trying to use fear to get people to apply for and sit more driving tests, which make the government a nice earner at a time of need

I was stopped only last week - no L plates (as I find it impossible not to get out of the car at eejits who use their horn just because they see an L plate) and Provisional licence, and Garda didnt seem too bothered - usual 60 spot fine and 1 point, but no 1k fine (for different offence)

john47832 wrote: »
    This is rubbish, a way of trying to use fear to get people to apply for and sit more driving tests, which make the government a nice earner at a time of need

The driver testing system costs more money to run than is received through test fees. A lot more.

Stark wrote: »
    The driver testing system costs more money to run than is received through test fees. A lot more.

Yea right - 40 lids miminum for less than 1 hour, and with no shortage of people - average test centre would probably get through 20 per day @40 = 800 quid a day, thats 4k a week per test centre

Now tell me how much does it cost per week to run a driving centre, its not as if Driving Tester is a highly skilled job and demands a large salary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yea right - 40 lids miminum for less than 1 hour, and with no shortage of people - average test centre would probably get through 20 per day @40 = 800 quid a day, thats 4k a week per test centre

Now tell me how much does it cost per week to run a driving centre, its not as if Driving Tester is a highly skilled job and demands a large salary

Insurance for testers alone would be at least 2k a week, then wages, utility bills, property rental etc.

Do you have any idea how much its costs to run even a very small company with five people or less in this country?

• Advertisement

Insurance for testers alone would be at least 2k a week, then wages, utility bills, property rental etc.

100k a year - I doubt it

The high failure rate in driving test centers is probably driven by the reality that the more they fail the more money they make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

paper wrote:
    Conviction of a first offence carries a fine of up to €1,000.

More quality reporting, 1st offence carries a minimum fine of €1000, not maximum

More quality reporting, 1st offence carries a minimum fine of €1000, not maximum

How could someone on the dole pay that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

How could someone on the dole afford a car?

If your not willing to pay the fines when caught breaking the law, don't break the law!

ztoical wrote: »
    How could someone on the dole afford a car?

If your not willing to pay the fines when caught breaking the law, don't break the law!

If only life was that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

don't commit the crime, if you can't afford the penalty.

quite simple, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

If only life was that simple.
    life is simple.
    1) Got a car, pay insurance and road tax
    2) Got a learners permit, then arrange for accompanying driver.

if you cannot afford 1, and cant be bothered about 2, then dont whinge if/when caught.

:rolleyes:

so your saying the punishment fits the crime here??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

:rolleyes:

so your saying the punishment fits the crime here??

The punishment is a large fine, seems fitting to me......you'd rather jail time?

Actually given that you can get a large fine and/or jail time for not having a tv license, a fine for driving alone/without L plates might be a little weak.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement