Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conversion Postgrads/Civil Service

Options
  • 06-07-2009 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,
    Im an Arts graduate this year with a 2.1 in History and English, and have been accepted in an English postgrad in september. However I was hoping to go into the civil service or into banking afterwards with my qualifications.

However on closer inspection entry on a reasonable level into the Civil service requires a:

(i) a recognised first or second class honours degreeor an equivalent qualification (acceptable to the Public Appointments Service) having taken either taxation, accountancy, business or a financial discipline as a major subject in the final degree examination;
    or
    (ii) a recognised first or second class honours degree in law or an equivalent qualification (acceptable to the Public Appointments Service);
    or
    (iii) a qualification as an accountant (i.e. membership or entitlement to membership of a recognised body of accountants), solicitor or barrister;
    or
    (iv) associate membership of the Irish Taxation Institute;
    and

possess the requisite knowledge and ability (including ability to communicate effectively) and be suitable to enter on the discharge of the duties of the position.

I have none of the degree requirements and was wondering would I be safer in opting for a Business/Finance postgrad at this point, while some places remain open? with an average at best mathematical ability. Or is it possible to gain entry with an honors degree an MA in English?

Would be greatful of any thoughts or experiences in entry to either fields of work, or general opinions:) thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

haha there you are again

let me tell ya, my bsc was in science...i worked in the us for years but did the degree with an eye on making bank...and 15 yrs later im finishing ma in english and planning on phd....everyones different, but id say do what you want, rather than what you think you should...if you love it, it will work out....theres always time to go back and do something that will make cash if you really have to, but trust me, being bored at work gets very old after a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

snip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Hi Kippc,

If you're looking to join the civil service, the level you are entering at will depend on whether you need a degree. For EO upwards, you do. My degree was not in finance, business, etc. but I still did the exams and was called for interview. Once in, they do not use your qualification, they will just put you were needed. I think having the degree shows your capabilities and ability to stick with something.

However, if they reopen the competition for Third Secretaries, I would strongly suggest applying. From what I can gather, those that manage to get through the exams (thousands take it), the majority have degrees in history/English/politics.

Unfortunately, there won't be any openings in the CS for a bit, so maybe go ahead with the postgrad in English and see what happens. By the time you're finished, they may be reopening positions that would be of relevance to you (EO, AO, Third Sec, etc.). Don't apply as a CO though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kippyc

Unfortunately, there won't be any openings in the CS for a bit, so maybe go ahead with the postgrad in English and see what happens. By the time you're finished, they may be reopening positions that would be of relevance to you (EO, AO, Third Sec, etc.). Don't apply as a CO though.

Many thanks BroomBurner, seems like sound advice to me EO and AO where the positions I had my eye on so your comment was spot on, and I just received an email from the info department saying as much about lack of recruitment oppertunitys until 2010. So think I will solider ahead with the postgrad:) Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

snip

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kippyc

Yeah, I felt the comment from graduate was irrelevant and unecessary myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

To clarify, you do not need a degree to become an EO

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ulysses32

graduate wrote: »
    Indeed, everyone is different, some people use Capitals.

There are even people who use capitals in the wrong places!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

graduate infracted - any more off-topic and thread is locked.

Advertisement