Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Match-Up Wk2 - Fedor v Randy

Options
  • 06-07-2009 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭

OK, so week 1 ended up with GSP 58.33% and Silva with 41.67%

SO it looks like GSP via Split Decision!

This week, Randy v Fedor.

Fedor is argueably the best MMA fighter of all time, dominating the HW division, well, since he started fighting. Wins over Nog, Arona, Coleman, Cro Cop, Arlovski, Sylvia... to name but a few.

Randy is argueably the most legendary fighter to have fought in the UFC. The first man to win titles in 2 divisions in the UFC. He won the HW belt 3 times and the LW belt twice. Wins over Belfort, Rizzo, Liddell, Ortiz, Gonzaga, Sylvia.. among others.

These 2 guys were THE topic of MMA discussion 12-18 months ago and although Randy's loss to Lesnar seems to have extinguished talk of this fight, MMA fans everywhere would love it to happen.

(Rules: Both guys are the same natural weight, both at their absolute peak etc. Remember, don't take it too seriously)

Fedor v Randy? 37 votes

Fedor
    0% 0 votes
    Randy Couture
    100% 37 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Fedor was always favourite to win this even when they Randy was in amzing condition.
    Fedor for me

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Probably not as convincingly as some would think this one would end but Fedor would definately win.

How, you ask? Good question, I reckon it would probabaly go to a decision. Randy's a wily old dog and I wouldn't see him being knocked out or subbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Of course Fedor is favourite, but wasn't Lidell huge favourite to beat Randy in their first fight?

Wasn't Tim Sylvia huge favourite?

Wasn't Vitor Belfort huge favourite?

Randy is the man for upsetting the odds.

Although having said that, i really think Fedor takes this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

I'd have to go with Fedor on this 1. Randy always has an amazing game plan & would make a good fight of it but Fedor is just that good cant see past him tapping Randy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

OK I'll not take this one too seriously :D

Even with both in their prime I'll take Fedor by knockdown and nasty GnP

Fedors striking is far too fast and powerful for Randy's boxing to deal with. I see him hitting Randy with one of those cannonballs, Randy hitting the mat and Fedor pounding him out, finishing up with a kossack victory dance around the ring.

Seeing as he's outboxed, Randys left with takedowns\gnp...I think he could take Fedor down alright, but I dont think he could keep him there and\or control him. Fedors too good at sweeping\reversals and has excellent subs from the bottom. Coutures best bet would be to win by decision, and the merciless pace Fedor keeps would be too much for him to keep up over 5 rounds (though maybe not 3)

Fedors got a far better record (Coutures record isnt actually that great, its just that when he's won, he's won big) even though its a bit padded...and trashed Tim Sylvia in under a minute, something Randy couldnt do in 25 while Sylvia had a dodgy back (even though he did dominate)

Pity this didnt come up after their upcoming fights, I think their going to shed a lot of light on both their strengths\weaknesses. Barnetts probably the best test in the world for Fedor right now, with a top notch wrestling\submission game and decent enough striking, I think if anyone can take him it'll be Josh.

Randys fight with Nog is happening at the perfect time-both are slowing down a bit, I think their striking is even so its going to come down to Randys wrestling against Nogs BJJ...its going to be intriging if not exciting for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Fedor for me.

He plowed through a stacked HW division in Pride and has since easily beaten anyone put in front of him.

The list of people he has beaten while they were at their prime or close to it is so impressive.

He is bigger and stronger and has great submissions to go with his devastating striking and sambo skills.

Randy is excellent, but Fedor is the best and his only "loss" came on a silly technicality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭soretoe

Randy is a freak - none of the same rules can be applied to him - he should have been too old to compete with those top guys he fought years ago but he kept on with the upsets - he's too old now at 46 and I think he should throw in the towel - he doesn't need it and has all the respect in the world.

Anyway because of his freaky ability to fight at a high level into his 40's it's hard to decide when his peak was? - probably about 41/42 but that's because he entered the sport late - I think it's a 'what if' sort of question - What if Randy had entered at the age guys are these days ? - debuting full rules MMA at 20-22 and peaking around 29-32 if they stay injury free - well it wouldn't be Randy then would it?
    I also think his strengths/wileyness was relative to the process of the evolution of MMA in the last 6 or 7 years - he chose to stand-up with the strikers with his dirty clinch and always had the wrestling base to fall back on.
    So its hard to compare the two in a who would win fantasy fight. Fedor had great wins around the same time Randy had his great wins also a few years back but it's a time thing - if they were ever going to fight then it needed to be about 5 years ago when Randy even though at 41 was still, in his freaky way, a genuine top performing athlete who could last with the top guys for 5 rounds... and win - it's not that he can't now - it's just that we don't really know - he's feckin 46 for christs sake - how can a 46 year old man compete in HW MMA with guys like Brock and Fedor around? I know it's supposed to be an 'at their peaks question' but Fedor 'IS' potentially in his peak years now and Randy's peak was poss at 41 - he worked out how to beat guys and executed it with heart and Randy heroicness.....
    It's a tough one but in a weird way this upcoming Josh V Fedor fight could be considered quite similar to this fantasy fight - Josh is younger and has learned his trade against good fighters in the modern MMA era and he's predominantly a wrestling striker just like Randy but with a younger engine. If Fedor beats Josh relatively easily by connecting with a couple well placed strikes as we all think he will - then I think it kinda answers the question here as well as I don't see Randy being able to wiley his way passed those viscous strikes backed up with great footwork and absolute supreme calm confidence as only Fedor has in all of MMA.
    For me Fedor wins now AND at Randy's peak - Randy never had a one punch knockout weopon and Fedor looks to end the fight at the first opportunity because he knows he can do it to anyone!
    I hate Dana and Finklestein and whoever else stood in the way of making this fight happen around 2007 - even though in my opinion Randy would have lost I would have given him a chance at that point - everyone would have given him a shout .........and IF he had won.......just think....
    ...at least there's Saturday to look forward to !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I see no way randy can win this.

Hasn't got the striking to take fedor out standing while Fedor does.

Randy's GNP is poor and Fedor is just too slick on the ground to get roughed up.

The only chance he would have is winning a decision due to dirty boxing and takedowns.

Fedor has much better finishing and is too strong IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Fedor for all reasons people have already said. Too much effort to type :D

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Yea again for the many reason already stated I'm going with Fedor on this one.

I know we are taking it that both fighters are at their peak but seeing Brock knock Randy out really crushed his legendary status. If the poll were taking place before the Brock fight I think he'd have a much higher % of votes.

Then again if my aunt had balls... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Im going against the grain and saying Randy, i think his wrestling will dominate where the fight is held and he'll wear Fedor down to a late stoppage win.

This certainly is not an easy win for fedor like the way most have answered. even now.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Fedor has handled wrastlers before.

Fedor by decision imo and only because Randy is smart enough to survive.

Mark Coleman and Randleman are good wrasslers and fedor dispatched with them

Jason Mc wrote: »
    Mark Coleman and Randleman are good wrasslers and fedor dispatched with them

There different style wrestlers to Randy, he'll try keep it standing and dirty box till his opponent is worn down.

plus randy knows more about submissions than either of them.

they both get on top and try for GnP where Fedor easily submits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

I'm going to go with Fedor 'The Baddest Man On The Planet' Emelianenko for this one. He's a fighting freak who never seems worried and always seems calm. As much of a freak as Randy is too I have to see Fedor cathing him with a few punches and then submitting him.

Paul look at the many losses on Randy's career

then look at fedor's one loss which was a cut

Jason Mc wrote: »
    Paul look at the many losses on Randy's career

then look at fedor's one loss which was a cut

I hear you but that does not make my opinion wrong, Fedor was getting beat down by Arlovski only for his glass chin!

He's tough but not unbeatable..

Fedor might have struggled with Chuck or Belfort at peak, and it remains to be seen how he'd get on with the big lad-brock. plus Randy avenged the Belfort loss.

Fedor needs to beat the best, and the best are in the UFC now.
    it will be interesting to see how he gets on with Barnett who could prove a handfull!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I may have given Randy a real shot at beating Fedor 2/3 years ago but that was 2/3 years ago :p Randy aged quite a lot during the lay off he had during the contract dispute.

rovert wrote: »
    I may have given Randy a real shot at beating Fedor 2/3 years ago but that was 2/3 years ago :p Randy aged quite a lot during the lay off he had during the contract dispute.

Yeah but thats the question, both at there best.

I don't think Fedor is unbeatable his striking does have holes but AA got KTFO in his own gameplan.

Fedor did not even have to take him down to send him out on a stretcher. That says a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

I think Fedor went into the Arlovski fight knowing AA had a glass chin and knew he only had to find 1 opening and it'd be over. An he found it.

Advertisement