Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highish Tension Tenor Banjo Strings

Options
  • 06-07-2009 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

To the banjo players out there, what strings would you recommend. My current ones are getting a bit raggidy and i think its time for new ones. I notice though my G string is a bit looser than i would like so was wondering if there were any that would allow maybe greater tension ?? :/ could be way off the mark here though!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

neil_hosey wrote: »
    To the banjo players out there, what strings would you recommend. My current ones are getting a bit raggidy and i think its time for new ones. I notice though my G string is a bit looser than i would like so was wondering if there were any that would allow maybe greater tension ?? :/ could be way off the mark here though!

I use Clareen bronze loop end strings, 2nd on this page:
    http://www.banjo.ie/workshop.php?id=3

They do the job for me anyway! Much better than any other strings I've tried, what are you using at the moment? Don't say d'addario, they're woeful!:D

Floppy G string could be due to a poorly positioned bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

haha yes im using d'addario :D ill order them now! thanks for the advice.. Do you think i should move the bridge up a bit, the G is very floppy as you put it :D

haha yes im using d'addario :D ill order them now! thanks for the advice.. Do you think i should move the bridge up a bit, the G is very floppy as you put it :D

Do you know how to adjust the bridge using harmonics? That's your best bet to start with anyway!

Have a read of this page too:
    http://www.thesession.org/discussions/display/13432

thanks alot paul. Greatly appreciated.

i dont get how the setting of the bridge using double the distance of the bridge to the nut?? whats that about?

• Advertisement

Ya got a 19 fret banjo yeah?
    Measure the distance from the nut (at the top of the neck by the headstock, where the strings touch the wood) to the 12th fret up the neck from the nut. Double the distance and this is where your bridge should roughly be! So if the distance from the nut to the 12th fret is 30cm, the distance from the nut to the bridge would be ~60cm! You then fine postion your bridge using harmonics, it will usually not be completely parrallel, mine is slightly angled at the g string.
    Best of luck!

thanks again paul!!!

thanks again paul!!!

Anytime!:)

Advertisement