Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overweight Child

Options
  • 06-07-2009 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has and advice on this one.

Boyfriend has a 4 year old who is a lovely child and really intelligent and a fantastic child in general. He loves his food and it must be brilliant for his parents to know he will try any food and not be a picky eater. He loves healthy food and when here he eats a lot of fruit,vegetables,yoghurts and healthy dinners.

Problem is he is overweight. People are always shocked when they find out he is only 4.
    He looks a lot older as he has a big build anyway,you could see when he was maybe 2 that he had it in him to carry a lot of weight if given the chance with food etc.

It breaks my heart looking at him putting weight on as he imo would be classed as obese now.

He lives close to a lot of relations and spends a lot of time running from house to house and this to me is where the problem lies. Its like in every house he goes to someone gives him treats etc but they are all adding up and taking their toll on him. His clothes are all too long on him as he wears age 6-7 and even then they are very tight on his waist.

I've said it to his dad who doesn't/can't do anything about it as when he is with him he monitors what he eats,doctor said about a year ago he was overweight but he's a lot bigger now. Mam seems to ignore the issue,he eats sausages a lot for his breakfast which I think it terrible and his dad has brought up in past but nothing changing on that front, they have absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever.

Any advice on what could be done as its difficult situation esp with separated parents and bringing this issue up could cause a lot of blame to be pushed around.

I have a nephew that is 12 and he is seriously overweight, his parents feed him shi* food all the time and I dread to think whats going to happen him in secondary school in September as kids can be the cruellest of all. Thats why I think my b/f should try to nip this in bud before gets even worse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

If his father can't do anything about it then you can't either really. I would keep feeding him healthy food in your company and maybe teach him to cook with quality ingredients.

My family are the same. My dad and my husbands mam always give the kids crap but they don't get many treats with me.

Advertisement