Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone get a mature nursing offer in ul??

Options
  • 06-07-2009 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

hi, i got 167 points and did'nt get an offer for midwifery or general nursing in ul? anyone get a place? what points did ye have?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 lol1

Hi

I applied for general. midwifery and I.D nursing in UL firstly and then I have other colleges on the list too. I got 158 in the test and didnt get an offer. They surely havent filled all the places with the offers that people would have received on sat? Hope not anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lor1975

hi,
    i'm pretty sure they filled all the places on sat, the only offers that will be available at the end of the month are for those who defer or refuse a place so it aint looking good,for me anyway

Serious? It just gets better and better! Ive applied through FETAC aswell. I hope something comes up for you anyway. And I hope a load of people will defer their place! Although you would wonder with the way things are going I'd say they will be holding on to their place for dear life! I think I'll ring CAO tomorrow and see about this point business and what were the cut offs.

i already rang cao, yer one said she did'nt have that information i.e.points...yeah sure she did'nt, i mean who else has em?? by all means ring them:o

Thats a joke! I mean why all the secrecy about things. Yeah my experience is that they only answer questions as per the CAO handbook they never go further than that like. Also you know the way it said a small number of places are filled in that early round of offers then that surely means that there is places remaining!:) It's not over yet for us I'd say. Where else have you applied to?

• Advertisement

i only applied for ul, im married with two kids so i can't very well take off. this is my first year applying as a mature student, have you applied before?

No this is my first year. Yeah thats true! I really hope we get it! I really don't mind the which course I get as long as I get in the door. How did you find the written test? I thought the numerical part was very difficult. Would you apply next year if you didnt get it this time round?

i thought the test was ok, i had'nt six of the numerical finished though they were a bit tricky.
    dont think i'd apply again. i applied when i left school, a long time ago, i'm 34, and i had enough points then, it was'nt through cao then, different application, i know quite a few that got through then through a ''pull'' if you catch my drift. it probably still goes on although cao do warn against canvassing...i wonder.

Yeah I know what you mean. I'd say I would apply again if it comes to it. So far anyway I havent heard of anybody getting accepted to UL. I mean there was four mature students in my class and we would have all applied for UL, now I havent talked to all of them yet but the one lady I did talk to didnt get an offer yet. I'd love to hear from anyone who may have got it already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hollyo

hi girls,

I am hoping to apply for either general nursing or midwifery in UL for Sep 2010. Do either of you know how many mature student places there are for 2009?

It seems like UL is the highest points which is a pain. Hopefully you will get an offer in the next round.

I'm like you and am married with 2 kids so it's UL or nowhere.

• Advertisement

hi hollyo,
    there are 4 places for midwifery and 6-7 for general this year

hi, i rang cao and they said general in ul was 180 points and midwifery was 184. oh well...

Hi Lor
    Did you ring CAO again yeah? That is very high alright. I have I.D nursing down aswell so I may get something from that I dunno.

Hollyo, If you can try and get a place on a Pre Nursing course as you can then have an additional route of gaining entry into University (there are only a few places but sure now it seems its the same via the mature route). I felt that having the Pre Nursing under my belt helped me in my interview too.

ya its pretty high, you should ring and see what ID was. it must have gone up a lot from last year. she also said that all the offers for mature places were made on sat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hollyo

hi lol01,

all the pre-nursing courses are full time and for the next year i would have to pay full time childcare if I do one so I've decided not to do it, at least for this year anyway.

The score you get, is that made up purely of your aptitude test and then you either pass or fail the interview or is there something else added to the aptitude test to make up your points?

Its a bit unfair if it is all based on the test as some people are great at those and others while they can be so clever and would be well able for the course just can't manage those tests.

Thats the way they do it. Plus from what I have read in the handbook if two people have the same score then random numbers are added to each applicants no. and whoever gets the highest is placed further up on the list. Its a lottery.

The test is not too bad, well the numerical part was tough enough and really its just practice. The skills and verbal reasoning are grand. So yeah its all based on the aptitude test which I think is a pity. It kinda undermines the interview in a way because after all its a computer that corrects the test, you are interviewed by individuals that come from a nursing background you would think that they would be a better judge of who is a suitable candidate. Anyway thats the way it is.

I.D Nursing in UL is 168. Gen is 180. She said that if there is no uptake, or if points go down further offers will be made to mature students on the 31st July.

oh my god that went way up, its a nightmare isnt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 AlanC27

what course can i do as a mature student?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Volpex

Hi, Lol1, This is my second year applying for mature nursing and I noticed that in my skills results I had lower marks than last year, yet I put in the questionaire that I had CPR, First Aid, I had come upon an accident and I have a Fetac Level 5. Strange that given I put in more information my results were lower than lasts years skills without these extras. I wonder?

hi volpex, did u manage to get an offer

Hello Lor1975, I haven't got an offer and I know that wont happen. Last year I got 159 points and didnt get one. This year I got 164 points. I have applied to UL only. My points are definitely too low. I now know I'm definitely not destined to become a nurse.

Hi

Thats strange isnt it? Will you apply next year? Did you apply through the FETAC route?

Hi, i didn't apply through Fetac because I only completed the course on 19th June just gone, therefore I hadn't my results at that time. I've got my results since and I got on very well. I feel that we should get the results of the nursing test before the interview. Instead we get hopeful, only to feel demoralised and rejected at a later stage. So I guess I'm not going to apply again. I'll stay working as a carer though.

Hi Volpex

I rang both the CAO and FETAC and if your applying through the CAO as a FETAC student they have this on record plus all the results you get. The FETAC results are out the end of July and the lady in the CAO said that offers through this route will be made on the 31st as well. How does your sister like Thames Valley? A few of my friends got accepted to there.

Hi Lol1, How did you think I had a sister at Thames Valley:confused: I'm afraid thats not the case. Thanks for the info regarding Fetac. Does that mean you can gain higher points because I thought Fetac route was seperate application based on Fetac only. Some Fetacs have merit and others distinctions, distinctions give higher points than merits. Youd think all Fetacs would be same.

Hi Volpex

Sorry I was getting mixed up with someone else that was talking about Thamas Valley. Yeah the FETAC application is also done through the CAO form, two separate routes though. Last year there was a total of 5 places for UL through FETAC. Its a longshot but I have to tink postively. Its out of my hands now! I know a lot of people in my pre nursing course would have been using FETAC points combined with their leaving cert points. I dunno there is so many ways round things!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 fifitrix

Hi all, I have applied for fetac course in Sept with the hope of going on to do degree in 2010, however I am getting worried that even if I complete all 8 modules with distictions that the chances of getting a place are very very slim. Has anyone else done the fetac course? Is it hard work and what text books should I get? Thanks...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 tonywanda

Hey fititrix. I just recently completed the FETAC course in health care, and will be starting a university degree come September. Although I didn't apply directly through the FETAC route as I took a a "minor 5", which isn't based on 'distinctions'.

I know a few girls and two friends who managed to secure places in University and in IT from doing PLC courses with distinctions in law, nursing, and multimedia.

So it can be done, you just have to get stuck in; prepare for the worst and hope for the best!

And yes it is hard work, but nothing comes easy. Best of luck

Advertisement