Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

theory

• 06-07-2009 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

This probably applies only to teachers and not lecturers but all ar welcome. I'm NQT and did my dissertation on the theory behind teaching. I'm wondering which theorusts' opinions most people would favour. The big three I'm thinking of would be Piaget, Vygotsky and Dewey.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭anoisaris

This probably applies only to teachers and not lecturers but all ar welcome. I'm NQT and did my dissertation on the theory behind teaching. I'm wondering which theorusts' opinions most people would favour. The big three I'm thinking of would be Piaget, Vygotsky and Dewey.

Shouldn't theories behind teaching apply to teaching anything to anyone at any level not just in school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭WinstonSmith

anoisaris wrote: »
    Shouldn't theories behind teaching apply to teaching anything to anyone at any level not just in school?

Well perhaps somebody could correct me but I don't think so. I think once you get to a certain standard/maturity, the method of teaching is more concerned with discussion and debate to generate and eliminate ideas (I'm thinking specifically here of teaching at university) as opposed to the method employed in second level education where a lot of the emphasis is on learning through fun and games, such as the employment of active learning. granted these theories apply throughout the age cohorts, but (and its important to note that I have carried out zero research on this part) I suspect that the amount learnt through game playing, sports and fun as one gets older decreases, thus the shift towards more intellectually-stimulating discussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭anoisaris

Active learning is "learning by doing" not limited to fun and games. If active learning wasn't employed at University level a science lecturer would have students that never set foot in a lab, a physio lecturer would have students that never touched another's limbs and an education lecturer would have students that never tried to teach during their university life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭WinstonSmith

true. I must apologise as I was being very narrow minded and thinking only of my own subject area. Let me re-phrase the question then and ask whether people prefer the theories of Dewey or Vygotsky, since they are both premised on the active learning principle?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭dahamster

What about Kolb?

• Advertisement
Advertisement