Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quoting

Options
  • 06-07-2009 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Hi Help Desk, how do I quote a single line from a post that I wish to reply to without quoting the whole post? (Does this make sense?)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You need to quote the whole post and then edit the content of the quote to remove the unwanted text.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Thanks Gordon. I was quoting and then deleting the sections of text that I didn't want but then it didn't show that I was quoting someone else. If I use the edit button will this solve this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You've got to make sure you leave the bit just after the quote tag:

[noparse]
    edit
    [/noparse]
    gives
    edit

The quote=name;postID bit needs to stay for it to show as a quote by a user/specific post. If you just want to do a general quote then you do this:

[noparse]
    edit
    [/noparse]
    gives this
    edit

Test it out here.

Gordon wrote: »
    You've got to make sure you leave the bit just after the quote tag:

By Jove I think I've got it! Thanks Gordon! :)

Edit: Not really though.

Nope, can't figure it out. It's coming up that I'm quoting but it's not highlighted in blue like your quote is. Still, tomorrow is another day. Thanks anyway Gordon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You've got the first part of your last attempt bang-on, you just deleted the [noparse][/quote][/noparse] bit at the end that you needed to leave in.

sceptre wrote: »
    You've got the first part of your last attempt bang-on.

I think I have it at last. Thanks to Gordon, sceptre and Ponster for the help.

Advertisement