Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts 2009

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

turgon wrote: »
    I heard stories yesterday of a girl skipping poetry lectures because she didnt agree with what they were learning :mad:

Like, how many people could I really start discussing WB Yeats with who were actually into it? :)

that person is silly... why did she bother doing the subject if she didnt want to learn new things or step out of her box!!???:o

do i sense a superiority complex???? maybe I am totally off kilter....:eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

First of all, its pretty clear that those English students here are those who are interested. Thats good because begrudging bástards like me need to be put in their place.
    Seriously though, I don't think it really matters what motivates them to do English. The fact that they choose it shows that they have at least some modicum of interest.

Usually. However I think with English people pick it because they see it, having been a compulsory subject in school, as a very safe course. So they pick it for a level of personal safety, not because of an interest. Thereby restricting those who ave an interest.
    WB Yeats, eh? Granted I only did him for my Leaving Cert but from what I read about him he seemed like a very unpleasant person and his "poetry" was pretentious rubbish that, compared to some of the other poets on our course (the excellent Eliot and Plath in particular), was really not worth my time and effort to read.

Thats your opinion. :) I havent read much poetry, but of what i have read Yeats seems the best in that his poetic skills are excellent and that his subject matter is very important. Contrasting Yeats with feminist Rich for example, I would consider Yeats' poem "The Second Coming" more important than all of Riches poetry Ive read combined.

Thats just something I value in literature myself, importance. I would value books like 1984 and Lord of the Flies greatly because I consider their subject matter important.

And ... finally .... square_igloo was a way cooler username :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Casper89

everywhere I look people are dissing sociology! so far all I can gather is people find it cripplingly boring...but are these just people who chose sociology as a subj cos they thought it would be 'relatively dossy'?
    has anyone actually interested in sociology found it to be lacking as a course??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Casper89 wrote: »
    everywhere I look people are dissing sociology! so far all I can gather is people find it cripplingly boring...but are these just people who chose sociology as a subj cos they thought it would be 'relatively dossy'?
    has anyone actually interested in sociology found it to be lacking as a course??

It's made to sound very interesting in the prospectus. I signed up for it because of that and because I thought it might have a bit of overlap with English in terms of the writers. The first few parts of the course are good, as far as I remember, Kieran Keohane I found very interesting. But pretty soon it gets into pretty abstract, overly academic stuff, learning about the history of sociology, writings on the nature of sociology etc, which in my opinion would be better suited to the second or third arts programme, once people have a broader knowledge base to work from and are more able to deal with academic writing. They kind of throw you in at the deep end a bit imo, sociology is a "new" subject to everyone, as in they didn't do anything like it in school, and the module title "Introduction to Sociology" is grossly misleading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

...but are these just people who chose sociology as a subj cos they thought it would be 'relatively dossy'?

I've seen this a couple of times. People just take the subject like sociology, philosophy etc. just as filler. One guy I know took Philosophy as a subject (He'd be a fairly serious studious guy) and he said it's just a doss/filler subject. I was lost at the time, couldn't believe that someone would just take a subject as a fill up. It became clearer upon entering UCC though!

• Advertisement

Usually. However I think with English people pick it because they see it, having been a compulsory subject in school, as a very safe course. So they pick it for a level of personal safety, not because of an interest. Thereby restricting those who ave an interest.

do you question people who chose to study commerce or physics or biology as much as you question people who chose english? i seriously dont understand why you are even asking this question.... if your english class ends up to be full of dossers that really does not matter to you. once you are enjoying and making the most outt of the course, that is really all that matters! it will in no way restrict those with interest. :cool:

do you question people who chose to study commerce or physics or biology as much as you question people who chose english? i seriously dont understand why you are even asking this question.... if your english class ends up to be full of dossers that really does not matter to you. once you are enjoying and making the most outt of the course, that is really all that matters! it will in no way restrict those with interest. :cool:

Firstly ... Im not the on doing it :D

Ye see its my buddy who wants to do 2 of English, History and Geography, but he wont get a chance to try all 3 in first year because their so popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

plus fúcking 1 for most of the Arts departments!!
    The women in the office upstairs in the Geography Department are the most unhelpful and grumpy i've come across yet. If you even approach them they give you this "what do you want now!" stare from their sour faced pusses. Everything is a chore for them, they'll never do anything for you or give you a simple answer to a question without adding a smart comment in with it. One girl who sits in the far back desk is also forever on the phone, and kept me waiting over 7 minutes one day, i just walked out. I hate those b*tches and they are one of the two reasons i won't be keeping on Geography in second year.

Contrast this with the Archaeology Department who could not be more helpful. They are so helpful and friendly, and have a great sense of humour, I would have preferred Geography as a subject to Archaeology but because the archaeology department are so good to deal with, i'm keeping that subject on.

he wont get a chance to try all 3 in first year because their so popular.

Unless your friend puts down -

1. English.
    2. Geography
    3. History.

He could get lucky and get all three?

History is the one he wants most asfaik :)

• Advertisement

History is the one he wants most asfaik :)

Ach. Stuck between a rock and a hard place I suppose.

What you think he wants most?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ash:)

hey dudes! :D
    YA im hopin to do arts in ucc in september too...irish and history hopefully, havent thought about the other 2 yet!:confused:...anyone know what the irish is like as a subject down there?:)

ash:) wrote: »
    hey dudes! :D
    YA im hopin to do arts in ucc in september too...irish and history hopefully, havent thought about the other 2 yet!:confused:...anyone know what the irish is like as a subject down there?:)

anyone that i ever mat loved irish.. the dept. were very helpful and they enjoyed the course content. from what they told me its pretty intense but very worthwhile and enjoyable. i havent heard anything bad about the subject, but i didnt do it myself so i dont have huge knowledge of it.

history is brilliant though, so interesting! definately keeping it on for my degree!

history is brilliant though, so interesting! definately keeping it on for my degree!

ya i heard history is unreal there. :D lookin forward to HOPEFULLY starting the course :p
    just one more thing..would you have to be seriously unreal at history to do alright in it in college?:)

ya i heard history is unreal there. :D lookin forward to HOPEFULLY starting the course :p
    just one more thing..would you have to be seriously unreal at history to do alright in it in college?:)

i ddint do history at school, just decided to give it a try. it was my best result in my exams this summer, so no, you dont have to be good at it in school. just work at it in college. :D

History...like you said...is unreal. :D

No, you wouldn't have to be super awesome at it. I was talking to a few people who didn't do it since 1-3rd year in secondary school and they loved it. By all means do do it if you want just put in a bit of work with it and you'll definatly like it.

I love the subject and like captainspeckle said, I'll be keeping it on for my degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

History...like you said...is unreal. :D

No, you wouldn't have to be super awesome at it.

OMG OMG OMG I like SOOOOO agree with you like.

Good man L. :P

I like your enthusiasm.

aww lads thats wicked helpful altogether! :D

Sound!!:cool:

Advertisement